Pre-Game Talk: Still Pre-Season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
if you don't see that Geno and Phil are an awful combo, unless they have LW who can press the defense, stop the transition play, allow our d-man to take control of the blue line. Otherwise they will have 0 possession time, had no chance to show anything. Their only chance could be an occasional counterattack if the opposing attak breaks down

We have only one guy that can compliment them that way: Hagelin. Rust seems to hate that LW role. I think that they know this, thats why they try ZAR, but from all the games I've watched him so far, he reminds me more of Plotnikov rather tthan Hagelin. He may have good hands but his skating and positioning leaves a lot to desire. However its a long season and he may figure it out. Another option would be Archibald, he has enough speed, he is no top six player, but he can fit this role.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's keep migration talk in the designated thread (just created) so it doesn't take over every thread.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really liked Hunwick's game, BTW. Like his game a lot tonight. Will need to see 20+ to really tell.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
+'s
Maatta's skating. I'm....I'm optimistic?
Letang at ES
Sid and Guentzel
Schultz' PP

-'s
D in general
Malkin turnover machine
Reaves still isn't anything like an NHL quality player
Letang PP

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
well, pretty much what we know, first line will be great, Geno and Kessel will suck big time, 3rd and 4th meh, not making playoff, time to blow this thing up

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
One game, but not a great sign when your bottom 6 is hemmed in for 3 minutes and gives up 2 to close out the game. Still don't think Reaves does anything worth a roster spot vs Archie or Kuhn when Horny is back.

I like the look of this defense. Really good depth and solid mix of skill sets. Schultz should be PP QB all year. Jake Guentzel is awesome. I like Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel and think they will be fine when games start to matter.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Looks like I won't need to learn the spelling on the backup goaltender's name, since he'll be gone by game 30.

Jake's gonna win a rocket if he keeps playing this way all year.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am willing to give Reaves a good 25 games to get acclimated to our style. He looks horrible and that he doesn't even remotely fit. But new guy, new system, new team, etc... let's see 25+ games how he plays.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, my biggest takeaway tonight was that Hunwick should do well here. A decent #5-6 that defends with speed/quickness.

And don't play Reaves to close out games, plz.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
5-2 with a minute left it was...almost blows it we could have.
What the fetch.... Im at work and I check the score and it was 5-2 with the game almost over. Penguins gunna Penguin....

Just wondering, but has Sheary ever played with Malkin? I dont know if Malkin and Kessel is going to work, but switching him and Sheary around might.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Schultz is clearly a better PP QB than Letang. I'm glad Sully made the change in the 3rd period.

Kuhnhackl looks out of place on the 3rd line. He's too slow to keep up, Wilson should've been there instead.

Reaves is ok I guess but I'd still rather have Archibald in there. I wouldn't be against signing Zaripov the bottom 6 lacks a bit of skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad