Pre-Game Talk: Still Pre-Season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I miss Cullen. :( I wish his wife did not tell him he can't play for the Pens anymore because she wanted to be in Minnesota, he wont be part of 3 peat history now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I forget who said it, but I recall posters telling me that Reaves was going to do what Rowney does only better. That person/people are wrong. Reaves is a plugger who can hit hard. He handles the puck like a grenade and is totally lost on the PK.

I'll cheer like hell when he trolls Dubinsky, but he's a roster downgrade on the ice everywhere else.

I know first impressions are important, but let's remember it's one pre-season game...one in which Kessel also apparently looked like ass.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know first impressions are important, but let's remember it's one pre-season game...one in which Kessel also apparently looked like ass.

To be fair, I've never liked the trade or the player. As Billy pointed out, he doesn't know the system yet and is likely out of shape. I'll concede that he will likely get better. That said, you can still get a sense for who the player is in a preseason game. I believe he is a plugger who hits hard and is a hell of a fighter. Doesn't make him useless or the worst of pluggers haha, but he's not breaking 15 points and it's unlikely he's a regular PKer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

What are you talking about, WC? The only logical conclusion to make after one pre-season game is a player simply sucks and won't fit in with his brand new team, who plays an entirely different game than his previous team did.

Tonight's game basically sums up what we can expect from this team this season. There is no other rational conclusion one can draw from this single, solitary, pre-season game.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What are you talking about, WC? The only logical conclusion to make after one pre-season game is a player simply sucks and won't fit in with his brand new team, who plays an entirely different game than his previous team did.

Tonight's game basically sums up what we can expect from this team this season. There is no other rational conclusion one can draw from this single, solitary, pre-season game.

Haha. Sweet dig dude

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To be fair, I've never liked the trade or the player. As Billy pointed out, he doesn't know the system yet and is likely out of shape. I'll concede that he will likely get better. That said, you can still get a sense for who the player is in a preseason game. I believe he is a plugger who hits hard and is a hell of a fighter. Doesn't make him useless or the worst of pluggers haha, but he's not breaking 15 points and it's unlikely he's a regular PKer.

That's probably true, even as a fan of the trade.

giphy.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

We should know by now that Kessel, much like Bonino, will likely infuriate us in the regular season, and come through in the post season like he has in the past. Problem is...it's a 6 month regular reason.

I think we will selectively like Reaves. In those games where it gets rough and he lays a hit or fights and obliterates someone...we'll love him. But for the most part, given the way we've all become accustomed to the recently successful Pens hockey built on speed and skill...I think he'll be a whipping boy on that front. But then that takes us saying "I believe a single 4th line player determined the outcome of the game".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I see nothing resembling chemistry with that Malkin - Kessel duo. But I also think the right LW can absolutely make it work.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So Bengtsson looked good aside from one goal, right?

How did Simon do?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I can away from tonights game being impressed by Bengtsson being it was first time to see him.

He's not a complete product yet, but he has a lot of positives that's for sure. A year in the AHL may be enough to get him onto the roster next year.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Hmm lemme analyze the Kessel-Malkin pairing... Almost 500 minutes of game time stats during the regular season last year where they had 4+ GF60 or a preseason game... Nah, break em up now, it's clear it'll never work even though it already has (including the post-season).

Also the comparison Kessel gets to Bonino is laughable. Bonino had 20 points 60+ games into the season, for all Kessel's faults he still put up enough points to be 19th in the league.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Don't think TB is making this team.

Looked good as a 23 year old in a prospect tournament.

Agreed. He needs more time in the A, which is exactly what I said in July.

Johnson has been a nice surprise (probably best served to start in the A also) as well as McKegg, but there are no in house 3C solutions right now. Maybe, hopefully one is ready in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad