Still pissed Nosek left unprotected...

bcjr13

Oct 29, 2018
Someone smarter than me, please explain why Kenny protected Abdelkader over a young guy who has Strength and Power in the Corners?
Still pissed that we lost Nosek.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Someone smarter than me, please explain why Kenny protected Abdelkader over a young guy who has Strength and Power in the Corners?

Abdelkader wouldn't have been taken. And it's decently likely that Nosek would be in the Wade Megan, Christopher Ehn role.

Why does everyone come out of the woodwork to ***** about some average NHL player that we let go. How about a Brad Marsh reset? I think we really ****ed up by not letting him play. That Bob Boughner really deserved a shot over that weak Swedish kid we drafted a round later back in 1989.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

Nosek didn't seem to fit into the wings plans for whatever reason. I don't think Nosek is a difference maker. And no one would have picked up Abdelkader anyway. Though I do agree, I would rather have Nosek on the 4th line than a overpaid Abdelkader. The problem is more Abby's contract, than protecting him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm happy that Nosek went somewhere, got a chance, and has ran with it. Looked good here, has looked good in Vegas. Wish him all the best.

My only issue with exposing him over Gator is that we could have packed our exposed list with crap contracts and been virtually guaranteed to have lost one of them. might not have been gator, it might have been Helm or Dekeyser or someone else. That or Vegas might have given us a pick to take the guy back from them :laugh:

Nosek wouldn't have been a difference maker here, so losing him isn't something that really bothers me. Just disagree with the strategy of who the Wings protected and who they didn't. Again, wish the guy all the luck.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I remember at the time, the outrage was that Mrazek was unprotected and therefore a sure target for Vegas... Nosek wasn't much thought about but sure, now there's a new need to be outraged since all others faltered, lets go at it. Besides, and Im not really sure but, weren't we obligated to protect Abby due to NTC?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yeah I was mostly confused about Mrazek being exposed. But now we all know why. Vegas taking Nosek was a blessing as far as I am concerned. Look at some of the talent other teams lost.

People are going to be pissed about the Seattle expansion draft, too. They aren't intended to favor the existing teams.

And maybe them taking Nosek created a butterfly effect that ultimately got us a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for Tatar. Ken Holland more than made up for losing Nosek in that deal.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think it still hasn't been decided whether taking Helm or Glendening wouldn't have been the better move for Vegas. Certainly over the last two seasons either of those guys would have been more useful than Nosek. Of course, there is an age difference. So, going forward, perhaps not.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I think it still hasn't been decided whether taking Helm or Glendening wouldn't have been the better move for Vegas. Certainly over the last two seasons either of those guys would have been more useful than Nosek. Of course, there is an age difference. So, going forward, perhaps not.
I could see injuries being a concern to Vegas but Glendening, I'll never understand that choice. Same role player but one is very proven and the other one is not.

Reactions: DetroitRed

bcjr13

Oct 29, 2018
That’s why I asked. My thought was more to get rid of a bad contract.
I think Nosek will end up being a good Role type guy, by no means a superstar, but the type of guy that “grinds” it out for you. See what I did there - lol

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
That’s why I asked. My thought was more to get rid of a bad contract.
I think Nosek will end up being a good Role type guy, by no means a superstar, but the type of guy that “grinds” it out for you. See what I did there - lol
Folks are too quick to stick a fork in a player after after a bad season or two. Things fluctuate, life had bad and good times for everyone so who knows, maybe and hopefully Abby will pull off a season or two with 40 points. There really is no need for cap space at this point for Red Wings but there are always ways to move a contract if the need arises. We see this over and over in the league.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you played Abdelkader in that role he would look better than Nosek does. Who cares about a fourth liner that plays like a fourth liner?

Reactions: Oddbob

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If you played Abdelkader in that role he would look better than Nosek does. Who cares about a fourth liner that plays like a fourth liner?
I think it matters if one guy wins faceoffs better than the other. Can pass better than the other. Has an edge to his game. Can be moved up the lineup and be effective when injuries hit. Can defend better, etc... All these thing matter. We relied on fouth liners to neutralize the legion of doom quite successfully once upon a time and have a cup to show for it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's not that serious but just another example of Kenny's brutal pro scouting and asset management.
Their pro scouting obviously saw enough potential in Nosek to sign him to deal in the first place, so....

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Yeah I was mostly confused about Mrazek being exposed. But now we all know why. Vegas taking Nosek was a blessing as far as I am concerned. Look at some of the talent other teams lost.

People are going to be pissed about the Seattle expansion draft, too. They aren't intended to favor the existing teams.

And maybe them taking Nosek created a butterfly effect that ultimately got us a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for Tatar. Ken Holland more than made up for losing Nosek in that deal.
The only reason Holland got a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Tatar is because GMGM figured out too late that he wasn't going to get Karlsson. When McPhee struck out on Karlsson and was up against the deadline, he was eager to make a splash in order to signal to his team that the organization was all in / "win now". Had McPhee landed Karlsson, he wouldn't have dealt for Tatar, so Tatar would either still be a Wing or would have brought in an even lower return...
A late 1st (the 30th overall would've been a 2nd rounder twenty years ago), a 2nd and a 3rd for a 50pt top six winger on a fair contract with 3 yrs of term left was no coup for Holland. If anything, Holland sold Tatar at a relative low point.

And given that Holland seems pretty self-assured that he has the Seattle gig waiting for him, people may well have a reason to be pissed given that he's managing assets he could soon be picking from. Look out for incoming NMC/NTCs...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nosek was a pretty surpising pick, everyone was outraged that we were gonna lose Mrazek or Ouellet.

I don't think it was a great pick by Vegas either but they made the SCF and we lost nothing of value so I guess it was a win-win.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
This is coming from the same GM that couldn't find a way to keep Emmerton on the team! Or Mursak. Or Lebda!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!
Who needs those guys or any other role players when you can lock up Abdelkader for 7yrs @ 4.25mil per?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Abdelkader wouldn't have been taken. And it's decently likely that Nosek would be in the Wade Megan, Christopher Ehn role.

Why does everyone come out of the woodwork to ***** about some average NHL player that we let go. How about a Brad Marsh reset? I think we really ****ed up by not letting him play. That Bob Boughner really deserved a shot over that weak Swedish kid we drafted a round later back in 1989.

The "woodwork" was the game last night vs. VAN. Nosek is on the 3rd line now and they said playing very well. He's 6'3 and 26 y/o- I think a more effective player than a lot of the Wings we're watching decline as the months go by.

I don't see any roster spot as insignificant. To me it sucks that, as said, in the expansion draft the Wings chose loyalty over the more sensible option. If we had held on to Nosek maybe another useless vet is traded. Mangers should always be looking to improve the lineup while planning for the future.

This team is terrible and the reason can't be blamed solely on lower draft picks.

Reactions: Bench

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The "woodwork" was the game last night vs. VAN. Nosek is on the 3rd line now and they said playing very well. He's 6'3 and 26 y/o- I think a more effective player than a lot of the Wings we're watching decline as the months go by.

I don't see any roster spot as insignificant. To me it sucks that, as said, in the expansion draft the Wings chose loyalty over the more sensible option. If we had held on to Nosek maybe another useless vet is traded. Mangers should always be looking to improve the lineup while planning for the future.

This team is terrible and the reason can't be blamed solely on lower draft picks.

There are better things to be outraged over than a replacement level player being taken in an expansion draft. Nosek is the definition of replacement level. Yeah, they protected Abdelkader, but Abdelkader is still a better player than Nosek, even if his contract is a train wreck of a train carrying dumpster fires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There are better things to be outraged over than a replacement level player being taken in an expansion draft.

I don't think the person you're replying to came across as "outraged" at all. And I think they bring up a great point about the bigger picture of why the team is so bad today.

It's been a cascade of poor choices, some larger than others, but even the small ones indicative of the decision making that creates a bottom five team that also has carried a high salary.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't think the person you're replying to came across as "outraged" at all. And I think they bring up a great point about the bigger picture of why the team is so bad today.

It's been a cascade of poor choices, some larger than others, but even the small ones indicative of the decision making that creates a bottom five team that also has carried a high salary.

Um, how dare Holland not invest in biological research to keep Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg forever young! Stars age team has to go through a transition. No society, company and whatever hierarchy you can think of has gotten to the top without falling down to its competitors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad