Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
It would be more than fitting for SFY to return to Detroit next season and bring the Cup back to the Motor City before the Lightning win another.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well there's a reason he never sold his house in Michigan. And this could be it. He wants to rebuild this team back up to greatness.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
This is great news for the simple fact it doesn't appear to be health related. Now we can be selfish: BRING THE CAPTAIN HOME! :yo:
Anyone who knows anything about Yzerman knows how private he is, and if it were a personal or health issue, he would not discuss it publicly. Any media person is just speculating.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
His work is done in Tampa, they are the best team in the league. Right now the team he played for his entire career is in trouble. I bet he’s very intrigued by the challenge of taking the wings from the bottom to the top, cementing his status as the most important figure in Detroit sports history.
No hockey person ever feels their work is done without a Cup. The best team in the league is the Washington Capitals, as they are the Stanley Cup Champions. That's why the timing feels so off and unusual.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Well there's a reason he never sold his house in Michigan. And this could be it. He wants to rebuild this team back up to greatness.
The reason he never sold his house in Michigan is because when he took the Tampa job his daughters were all school aged and enrolled in private Catholic school and they did not want to move them. They are now 19-24. At Yzerman's age, as with Chelios, it may be more of a need to care for aging parents than to spend time with young children.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
No hockey person ever feels their work is done without a Cup. The best team in the league is the Washington Capitals, as they are the Stanley Cup Champions. That's why the timing feels so off and unusual.
Agreed.

If the Wings had drafted Dahlin it would make more sense. But why step down from Tampa a year early and announce you're going to continue as senior advisor?

This seems like either ownership was unhappy with him and this is a graceful way for him to step down rather than being fired (which seems unlikely) or there actually is some personal issue involved.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Agreed.

If the Wings had drafted Dahlin it would make more sense. But why step down from Tampa a year early and announce you're going to continue as senior advisor?

This seems like either ownership was unhappy with him and this is a graceful way for him to step down rather than being fired (which seems unlikely) or there actually is some personal issue involved.

Maybe he didn't like the contract extension he was getting offered. At the end of the day it's just a business. Yzerman isn't going to work for Tampa for cheap, even if the team is close to winning. Even if his parents are ailing or whatever he's not going to turn down a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract to be with them during their final days, especially after he has already done the travel thing for seven or eight years already.

At the end of the day Detroit is his home and managing the Red Wings is what he's wants to do. He'd rather run this organization than win a Stanley Cup for a franchise that no one really cares about or has respect for.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Get through this year...take a job with the Wings..be able to come home to your wife every night...I’m sure he’s sick of all the traveling for the Lightning and to see his family. Don’t blame him because be bit.I just hope if he’s going to be the next GM he gets it before Holland touches that Cap Space

Reactions: hkydave04

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
His work is done because the team is built now theyre just gonna ride his team out as long as they can and win as many cups as they can.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Maybe he didn't like the contract extension he was getting offered. At the end of the day it's just a business. Yzerman isn't going to work for Tampa for cheap, even if the team is close to winning. Even if his parents are ailing or whatever he's not going to turn down a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract to be with them during their final days, especially after he has already done the travel thing for seven or eight years already.

At the end of the day Detroit is his home and managing the Red Wings is what he's wants to do. He'd rather run this organization than win a Stanley Cup for a franchise that no one really cares about or has respect for.

TB team owner Vinik has said that he would have paid SY anything he required. Vinik is loaded and writing checks is his thing. It wasn't a money issue.
SY got tired of the grind working a demanding job in Florida, when his family and focus was back in Michigan.

He was up for an extension and decided he didn't want to sign another multi-year extension to continue to work in TB, away from his family.
Seeing as though that was the case, why make him suffer another year when his heart isn't in it. Instead they promote JBB, Yzerman's right hand man and SY can now advise him for the next year, much of it from home I would assume.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This move is about so much more than the front office. The Illitch family needs this. This is the media juggernaut that the team hasn't been able to create with its players or its product in years. Bringing Stevie back will likely be a boon to the organization's draw when they need it most. Lots of people who grew up in the era of Yzerman's captaincy are now adults with expendable income. They can capitalize on the nostalgia Steve's return will invoke and bring a lot of lost fans back to the game. The excitement around Yzerman taking over the reigns to the team may be able to tide over the fans while the team truly bottoms out.

When it comes down to actually hammering out the nuts and bolts of this contract, I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman becomes the league's highest paid GM. This organization needs him for much than his management and executive skills.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It will be a fun times when,

A) Yzerman trades Helm
B) Yzerman trades Glendening
C) Yzerman trades Abdelkader
D) Yzerman trades Ericsson
E) Yzerman trades DeKeyser

:)

Helm should be easy to trade, he'll have 1 year left on his contract when Yzerman might take over.
Glendening would be super easy to trade and should get us a 1st round pick (considering what Hartman fetched), but he's really affordable so I imagine he'll be re-signed.
Abdelkader's contract isn't tradeable unless we retain a good chunk of it and I doubt we would do that since it would end up with us losing the deal.
Ericsson will be a UFA when Yzerman takes over.
DeKeyser doesn't need to be traded if we can rebuild the defense via draft and trade.

MountainDewBoiler

Sep 24, 2018

I'd love to see Yzerman take up the helm myself, but I'm not so convinced he will. I have a gut feeling he's going to kick back and relax after so many years spent in the game.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss Tampa Bay so callously like that - they're, like Nashville, a success story: a non traditional market with great attendance (usually in the top ten; after the 2005 lockout, they were second overall in attendance), a committed owner who gives a damn (moreso than can be said for most teams in the league, or even sports as a whole for that matter these days), and was rated the best team in sports at one point, beating out the San Antonio Spurs (the NBA's equivalent of the Red Wings right down to Tim Duncan being very much like Yzerman on and off the court).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Agreed.

I think its extremely simple. Hes going into his final year so tampa ownership tried to re sign him. He wants to move home closer to his family and knows if he re signs hes looking at probably another 5 years before he can do that. He also knows theres a job vacancy coming up shortly in Detroit. He said he isnt going to re sign in Tampa so ownership doesnt want him running the ship if hes gone after this year. They already have the most sought after AGM so they promote him and let Yzerman help a bit in his transition.

I doubt he had any choice to step down or not, when he wouldnt re sign they dont want him making all their personnel decisions

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It will be a fun times when,

A) Yzerman trades Helm
B) Yzerman trades Glendening
C) Yzerman trades Abdelkader
D) Yzerman trades Ericsson
E) Yzerman trades DeKeyser

:)
Plenty of cap space for Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman to jump ship for no good reason and come over.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
For what its worth, I asked bob mckenzie when he came through my drive thru a few minutes ago and he said he will for sure end up with the red wings in a year from now

This has to be the Hf version of “my uncle works at Nintendo” :laugh: Awesome experience if true! I’m a bit envious.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
This has to be the Hf version of “my uncle works at Nintendo” :laugh: Awesome experience if true! I’m a bit envious.
I know its ridiculous, but he comes through like 5 times a week. Not sure how I can totally prove it cause i dont really feel comfortable taking a random picture of him lol

Edit: i just remembered i have a signed hat by him and a picture with him from when he came over to my house a couple years ago if anybody actually needs proof that I know him

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladdy84

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I know its ridiculous, but he comes through like 5 times a week. Not sure how I can totally prove it cause i dont really feel comfortable taking a random picture of him lol

Lol no worries. I believe ya, just a funny circumstance. But that’s life!

Reactions: H3ckt1k

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For what its worth, I asked bob mckenzie when he came through my drive thru a few minutes ago and he said he will for sure end up with the red wings in a year from now
Technically, it's possible that the actual Bob McKenzie said those exact words, based on a reliable source...and yet, over the course of a year, circumstances could change.

But I still like your story. :D

Reactions: H3ckt1k

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Technically, it's possible that the actual Bob McKenzie said those exact words, based on a reliable source...and yet, over the course of a year, circumstances could change.

But I still like your story. :D
100% true, but personally id like to hold on to the hope of him being right haha

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

Uh What? lol

Don't know where the tweet went but it said tonight on Tigers Live (7 PM), Kenny will speaking on Yzerman's future with the wings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->