Stevens and Nachbaur Fired

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Actions speak louder than words.

No matter what Luc and Blake have said about this team being a contender, their actions say otherwise. If Blake thought this was a contender he would have traded prime future assets for help now, but he hasn't. Blake's actions say that management is in wait and see mode.

Let's see what happens after we fire Sutter. Let's see what happens if we add a forward like Kovalchuk.

IMO, firing Stevens is the last wait-and-see move. If the team still comes out flat now, than there's no denying what they are and real changes will have to be made.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
.... With Willie what you see is what you get, an old school motivator who runs a meritocracy (which got him in hot water with Canuck fans many of whom thought that, among other things, Tryamkin should be gifted top 2 minutes based on potential alone) and who is capable of kicking some bums around to get players on track. ...

I've snipped most of your post as I agreed with much of it and had nothing to add.

He got a lot of heat from Canucks fans for NOT running a meritocracy. The example most Canucks fans would give was Linden Vey, who started out his Canucks career playing top line minutes with the Sedins and being on the first power play unit. He got some points (as anyone would have gifted 1st power play minutes with the twins) but was ineffective and is no longer in the league, but he kept getting prime ice time for most of 2014-15. Another example Canucks' fans will cite is Jayson Megna.

As to Tryamkin, he is an example of criticism both for not running a meritocracy and for being too close to a meritocracy. It is true that many Canucks fans wanted him played up in the lineup, a weakness of Canucks fans with youngsters and probably a weakness among other teams' fans as well. WD also got criticism for, at least early in the season, sitting Tryamkin in the pressbox in favor of Philip Larsen, Luca Sbisa and Eric Gudbranson. He would also staple Tryamkin to the bench late in games in favour of Sbisa and Gudbranson, both of whom were considered turnstiles by many Canuck fans.

I think the fans had a good case for criticizing Tryamkin being put behind Larsen (early in the season,) Gudbranson (when he was healthy enough to play,) Sbisa and Biega. The Canucks wanted Tryamkin to be mean like Pronger, were prepared to sit him if he wasn't and WD blamed Tryamkin personally for a loss against Boston in which the Canucks were outshot 43-29 and outscored 6-3 not for any hockey-related errors but because Brad Marchand had been his usual rat self and Tryamkin (along with the rest of the Canucks, but Tryamkin was the one singled out) for not stepping up o him (ie going after him.)

The prior game, Tryamkin had "stepped up on" Jamie Benn, hurting him but not getting the Canucks a victory. WD's comment seemed very strange.

There were also criticisms about his failure to match lines and his goaltender deployment. The Canucks were noticeably bad in taking too many men on the ice penalties while WD was coaching them.

Otoh, there is much to like about him personally and imo the Canucks didn't underperform while he was coaching them.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I'm sort of tired of this whole "players are lazy beach bums" narrative. Andy Murray once said the one thing he would never question was a player's heart and competitiveness. No human being can give 100% effort 100% of the time, and no, it doesn't matter how much they are paid or how angry customers (fans) get. Let's see what effect the coaching change has. Let's see if we need a trade to shake up the chemistry, then check back.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm sort of tired of this whole "players are lazy beach bums" narrative. Andy Murray once said the one thing he would never question was a player's heart and competitiveness. No human being can give 100% effort 100% of the time, and no, it doesn't matter how much they are paid or how angry customers (fans) get. Let's see what effect the coaching change has. Let's see if we need a trade to shake up the chemistry, then check back.
How about 60% effort 60% of the time. It would be a step forward.

Jun 30, 2006
NHL network was saying that there wasn’t any interest from free agent coaches to coach in LA. They also said LA has been trying to deal some players but no takers at the moment.

If this is true then LA Kings are a dumpster fire that nobody wants to touch.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Right now, honestly, it’s better for LA to improve and make a run. They will still be out by the deadline likely no matter what happens now. They can deal players from a stronger position at that point.

Reactions: The Pale King

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
NHL network was saying that there wasn’t any interest from free agent coaches to coach in LA. They also said LA has been trying to deal some players but no takers at the moment.

Further support to the theory that the organization has been set back by many years. Now if Blake and Luc realized this and decided that the team needs a much delayed cleansing to restock the organization from top to bottom.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Brilliant post.

I was never 100% on board with the Lombardi firing for these exact reasons. He was righting the ship. And if Dean can be counted on for anything, it’s helming a proper rebuild.

I'd like to see some examples of what was being done to "right the ship."

In his last season here they missed the playoffs by eight points, and his last ditch effort was to trade for Ben Bishop.

Adding Iginla was a good move but it was way too late by the time he was acquired.

Maybe I missed something, but what signs indicated to you guys that they were on the right path? Surely missing the playoffs wasn't that sign.

Reactions: johnjm22

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

It could be the fact they wanted term on their deals to come to the Kings and Blake didnt want to make that commitment at this time.Heard from John Hoven I believe that Blake has been trying to make deals but teams know the Kings are in a desperate position and are playing hardball.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The same thing that Blake gets credit for: he didn't trade any future picks...especially the 1st rounder. They knew they could flip Bishop for a pick after the season as well, which Blake wound up doing. He basically didn't do what he had a reputation for: trading future 1sts at the deadline. He knew the jig was up and only added on the cheap.

As for John's "actions speak louder than words" theory: signing Kovalchuk and attempting to trade for Patches says otherwise. They very well may be in wait and see mode now since trade assets are at their lowest value but you don't add a $6MM UFA on an already high-salaried roster so you can miss the playoffs. After this beauty of a start, you make the coaching change and see if the roster you thought was a contender responds before making any big trades.

Make no mistake: Blake was counting on Vilardi to be on this team and contributing. I'll give Blake credit for not expecting to roll out opening night without Brown and Vilardi when he thought he had a contender; however, depending on an injury prone 19 year old with no NHL experience that isn't a McDavid talent is the actions of an HF GM and not a good NHL GM.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Man, the NHL media just crapped all over the Kings today, especially Bill Lindsay. The guy really hates the Kings and looked like he took to pleasure in ripping them to pieces.

Jun 30, 2006
Further support to the theory that the organization has been set back by many years. Now if Blake and Luc realized this and decided that the team needs a much delayed cleansing to restock the organization from top to bottom.

It could be the fact they wanted term on their deals to come to the Kings and Blake didnt want to make that commitment at this time.Heard from John Hoven I believe that Blake has been trying to make deals but teams know the Kings are in a desperate position and are playing hardball.

Probably more to do with incompetence that’s showing in this organization now, people know that Luc and Blake were peddling cup contention prior to the season, gave Kovalchuk an extra year, the patches trade botch, players choosing who to play for etc.

It’s a tire fire.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Trade botch? You wanted the Kings to overpay for Pacioretty? I’m glad that Vegas went all in there.

You guys really think Blake inherited a wealth of talent when he was hired? If so, I don’t know what to tell you...

Reactions: regulate

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You didn’t even mention the Patches fiasco. What a complete disaster that would’ve been and Luc ended up getting a friendly agent fired over it.

Second, I really believe that the acquisition of Bishop was the beginning of Dean starting to move on from the core. It made ZERO sense to acquire Bishop unless you are thinking of moving Quick for assets down the line. He explicitly said he had concerns about Quick long term and that Bishop isn’t an insurance policy.

Bishop was brought in because Zatkoff sucked so bad Sutter wouldn't even play him. The problem was, he was traded for a month too late. Budja was fine, but was breaking down around game 50. That traded need to be done a much earlier than the trade deadline. And on a side not, Erik Cernak who was part of the trade is turning out to be a real good prospect for Tampa.Nearly made the team and is expected to be a big part of their future defense.

Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
From the article:

"Stevens didn’t help his own matters in one minor episode earlier this season. Several players were put off by his assertion – never mind how accurate it was – that the team had “stopped playing” in the 7-2 loss to the New York Islanders. Taking into account the training camp – referenced by Doughty as the hardest he’d ever been a part of, one that left him “gassed” – and the fact the previous season’s team had plateaued after the first half and hadn’t been showing signs of trending towards sleeker, attacking hockey, a change was made. The team is open towards an honest and thorough evaluation of its practices and operations, and, of course, its personnel."

So, Stevens telling the players the obvious after the 7-2 pasting by the NYI was a problem? Training camp was too hawd for wittle Dewey? Give me a break.

When I read that about players being gassed, I wondered what kind of camp Steven was running. Then the way the preseason was run, I kinda knew something was off. The problems started day one of camp and continued right into the season. Kopitar playing 27 min the first week of the season, WTF is that? That's on the coaching staff .

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As for John's "actions speak louder than words" theory: signing Kovalchuk and attempting to trade for Patches says otherwise.
They haven't gone all in on this team being a contender.

If they really believed it was a contender they would have traded futures at the deadline last year.

Instead they've opted for firing coaches, adding a UFA and signing college FA's while holding onto their picks/prospects. It's a middling strategy; they're not committing to the team being a contender and they're not committing to a rebuild.

If firing Stevens doesn't kick start the team, then I think they have to admit it's time for a rebuild.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Jun 30, 2006

If they really believed it was a contender they would have traded futures at the deadline last year.

Instead they've opted for firing coaches, adding a UFA and signing college FA's while holding onto their picks/prospects. It's a middling strategy; they're not committing to the team being a contender and they're not committing to a rebuild.

If firing Stevens doesn't kick start the team, then I think they have to admit it's time for a rebuild.

No he’s right. They were going to commit assets and cap space to Patches and committed 3 years and 6 million plus to Kovie. They stated they thought the Cup window was still open with this core in the state of the kings. It’s on YouTube that they still believed that they could contend for a cup.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

So, Robitaille and Blake are committed to taking as much money off the fans as possible while peddling a product advertised as good enough to contend, but in reality only good enough to stay in the black hole.

Don't forget Robitaille and Blake were willing to move future assets for Patches in the off season. That indicates to me they don't know what they are doing.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So, Robitaille and Blake are committed to taking as much money off the fans as possible while peddling a product advertised as good enough to contend, but in reality only good enough to stay in the black hole.
Telling your customers how great your product is is what you're supposed to do. It's called marketing.

Last week Blake was telling us how great Stevens is, meanwhile he was searching for his replacement.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Trade botch? You wanted the Kings to overpay for Pacioretty? I’m glad that Vegas went all in there.

You guys really think Blake inherited a wealth of talent when he was hired? If so, I don’t know what to tell you...
The trade was a done deal. The only thing that prevented it from going through was the inability to sign Pacioretty.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Telling your customers how great your product is is what you're supposed to do. It's called marketing.

Last week Blake was telling us how great Stevens is, meanwhile he was searching for his replacement.
Discerning customers know better I guess. I know I am not wasting any of my money on this crap, not even on Stubhub this season.

I may take in a Rams game this season for the first time since they were in Anaheim running 47 gap with Eric Dickerson. Also considering traveling to Philadelphia to see the Army/Navy game. My recommendation to Kings fans is to deprive this organization of your financial support until management gets busy building a contender.

Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
No he’s right. They were going to commit assets and cap space to Patches and committed 3 years and 6 million plus.
Don't forget Robitaille and Blake were willing to move future assets for Patches in the off season. That indicates to me they don't know what they are doing.
The only thing we know about the Patches situation is that it didn't happen.

Having been close to events covered by the media I can tell you from experience that the reports you read are rarely accurate. Even legit sources get fed false info while others exaggerate or make things up to get clicks. Until Blake says he offered a 1st or equivalent asset I'm skeptical. The reporting you heard was most likely an attempt to increase Pacioretty's trade value to other parties interested and it worked.

They stated they thought the Cup window was still open with this core in the state of the kings. It’s on YouTube that they still believed that they could contend for a cup.
They're saying this because they're trying to sell a product. Maybe they believe it maybe they don't, but the fact is they haven't gone all in on this team being a contender.

Like I said Blake was telling you last week how great Stevens is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2