Steven Stamkos

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Plus, Toronto isn't saddled with bad contracts. These are the worst deals on their books:

- Bozak at $4.2 million for 2 more years
- Michalek at $4 million next year (which they'll probably trade for assets at the deadline)
- Gardiner at $4.05 million for 3 more years
- Kessel at $1.2 million for 6 more years
- Gleason at $1.33 million for 2 more years

...compared to:

- Datsyuk at $7.5 million next year
- Zetterberg at $6.03 million for 5 more years
- Kronwall at $4.75 million for 3 more years
- Ericsson at $4.25 million for 4 more years
- Abdelkader at $4.25 million for 7 more years
- Howard at $5.3 million for 3 more years
- Weiss at $1.675 million for 4 more years

datsyuks will be gone if we are in on stamkos

only reason why it wouldnt be gone is if the organization decides to throw in the towel which is what not filling datsyuks production/role and cap space would indicate

if thats the direction then we wouldnt even be interested in talking with stamkos

howard is very likely to be traded/ask for a trade

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Here's a question for the group. My personal opinion is we don't sign Stamkos because he's not worth the money. But if we were to sign him would you be willing to then trade Larkin for a similarly skilled defenseman (elite potential. Safe bet to be top line, still young, about 1 year NHL experience)?

I don't think such a defenseman would be on the market. But I'm wondering if you guys truly believe Stamkos will be a 1C for more than 3 seasons. I don't think he will be.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Here's a question for the group. My personal opinion is we don't sign Stamkos because he's not worth the money. But if we were to sign him would you be willing to then trade Larkin for a similarly skilled defenseman (elite potential. Safe bet to be top line, still young, about 1 year NHL experience)?

I don't think such a defenseman would be on the market. But I'm wondering if you guys truly believe Stamkos will be a 1C for more than 3 seasons. I don't think he will be.

Right. He'll flame out at the ripe old age of 29. :|

I would rather not trade Larkin regardless. He's the future, and as badly as we need to rebuild the defense I'm not sure trading Larkin is a good long-term strategy because true #1C's (if he develops to that level) are almost as tough to find as defenseman.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

nope not at all

stamkos as #1 centre for 3 years
larkin assumes #1 centre after that and stamkos become #2 centre

still worth every penny

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow

I wrote it in another thread and I'll repeat it - I expect ~4 years of production from Stamkos that would warrant his #1C position. Afterwards he'll be a "former superstar who was signed to a really big contract when the salary cap was lower which is totally reasonable now".

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
No idea why he'd want to jump aboard a sinking ship.

Then again, most people think he's going to Toronto, and that teams been already sunk since forever, so who knows I guess.

I'm thinking he stays in Tampa if I had to bet one way or the other.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Stamkos will stay in Tampa and on an Yzerman Discount. Book it.

Not sure why people are after Stamkos so hard. If Stamkos signed here we still have 'that' defense.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Not sure why people are after Stamkos so hard. If Stamkos signed here we still have 'that' defense.

Why not? He steps on to the team and is immediately the best player. I think it's pretty obvious why fans are hopeful KH can sign him, even if the team still has issues on the back end after the fact.

At the end of the day though, it's pretty much an offseason pipe dream. I think he stays in Tampa also.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

A guy who is awesome on the PP and can score 40 goals a year would help the **** out of this team. Especially with the increased scoring production of Tats, Nyquist, Larkin, AA, Mantha, and Riley.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

the ONLY reason "that" defence remains intact is if holland intentionally and deliberately chooses for it to be so

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yzerman already offered Stamkos at 8 years for $8.5M per and he's yet to sign it.

So i seriously doubt that he resigns there, Kucherov will get close to Tarensenko money and having to sign Johnson, Palat, Kilorn and Hedman next year i seriously doubt that Yzerman can afford to resign Stamkos.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado

Probably because this team has struggled scoring goals for the past 4 years and he would instantly be our best forward (and goal scorer) and he's still in his prime. There is also no longer any elite forwards on the team currently, Dats will be gone, Z will most likely regress more next season, and Larkin is still learning the NHL game. Would you rather start next season with your 3 best forwards being Stamkos, Larkin, Z ? or would you rather your 3 best forwards be Larkin, Z, Tatar/Nyquist :help:? seems pretty obvious why Stamkos wouldn't be a bad idea

I agree we need to still fix the defense, but we also have no elite talent at forward unless Larkin keeps progressing (which I expect he will, but it will take some time). But Larkin is still only 19 and he can't carry the load himself for the next few seasons, unless we plan on tanking which Holland doesn't seem to want to do. Stamkos would help soften the loss of Dats (production wise) while also occupying other teams top defense pairs/checking lines. That would allow our next wave of forwards (AA, Mantha, Bert, and Svech) to be brought in without being thrown right into the fire.

Basically Stamkos, given his age and history of production would be a good way to bridge the gap between the old guard of Dats and Z and the new generation of Larkin and whoever else.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

But FA defensemen will stop seeing a declining Datsyuk and Zetterberg and instead see a prime top goal scorer leading the team. I doubt Stamkos is interested, but if he does come it will draw the interest of better defensemen.

I would offer him 7 years 77 million. People fret about giving star players that extra 1 or 2 million, but what teams actually make good use of that marginal savings? Every team has overpaid depth players on bad contracts so why not offer a bit more to the actual star players to secure their services?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But FA defensemen will stop seeing a declining Datsyuk and Zetterberg and instead see a prime top goal scorer leading the team. I doubt Stamkos is interested, but if he does come it will draw the interest of better defensemen.
There aren't many high-end d-men hitting FA anyway. The one luxury that signing Stamkos would grant us is that we could feel better about trading Nyquist/Tatar or even Mantha/Svechnikov for a d-man.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Stamkos would help our non-existent offense immensely. Letting Helm, Richards, and Q walk will give us more than enough space to land him, as well as alleviate some of that logjam we have at forward.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I would probably trade Larkin for an ekblad type ( but worse)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would trade Larkin for Ekblad, Karlsson, or Doughty. That is it and since none of them will be available for trade, I'm happy to keep him. You win cups by being solid down the middle. Stammer, Larkin, Sheahan would give us amazing center depth. It's a no brainer to me.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007

Stamkos is still younger than most of our prospects were in their rookie seasons the past few years, haha. He'll be a prime level superstar for at least five years, probably many more. And no, I wouldn't trade Larkin for an elite defenseman. Then we'd be putting all our eggs in the Stamkos basket. You should never do that. We need Larkin, too.

Moatorious

Dec 16, 2008

Opposing players know that the Wings aren't real contenders, and that for some reason Holland is going for a playoff appearances record.
Signing Stamkos would change the way good players view the team, it makes the Wings contenders or at least one very large step closer.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I would LOVE to have Stamkos on the team, he and Larkin would have us set for many years. With our aging (more like aged) franchise centres on the way out, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want a ready-made replacement. And before people bring up what it'll cost to sign him, that's just the way things are, especially nowadays. You pay the market rate, or you walk home empty-handed. Simple as that. That's been the Ken Holland special for a while now, time for a philosophical change. You don't overpay the Ericssons, Abdelkaders (like the cap hit but term is another form of overpayment), etc. If you're going to overpay someone, make it the Suters and Stamkos'. 10-11M? I don't care, this team needs someone like Stamkos.

Anyway, with the 1C spot wide open, an 06 franchise, and with a lot of good young forwards coming up, this offseason is a prime opportunity to jump at the chance for Stamkos. Like it was meant to be. I'll be pretty disappointed if Stamkos isn't wearing a Winged Wheel next season. Holland said in his presser, repeatedly, that you need stars in this league. Well, there's a superstar available this summer. Your move, Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Trying to figure out the money - Doesn't Mules salary count against the cap until after the 1st day of the season? We would have to either have players on waiver or bring them up from GRG after the 1st day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad