Steven Stamkos

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
No idea why he would want to come here or how he can be afforded. So no, I have serious doubts it's anything more than clicks

We don't sign Richard + Quincey (8mill right there) and we also might get rid of Howard..

I think we should everything we can to sign a superstar like Stamkos.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think if Pav's contract comes off and Howard gets moved off...we should take a good run at Stamkos. If not him...then I don't mind getting someone like Andrew Ladd.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I think ton’s of cap room and a big hole at the #1 center spot, along with Detroit being close to home is why most people think Detroit has a chance. Also a very historic franchise with a new arena and not much media coverage. I would love for it to happen and think there’s a chance, but not getting my hopes up.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think there are at least a couple more likely destinations for him. Leaning towards him staying in Tampa.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think there are at least a couple more likely destinations for him. Leaning towards him staying in Tampa.

With Drouin starting to pan out, and the way their team looks for having to sign everyone in the next two years....I actually doubt that Stamkos stays.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think if Pav's contract comes off and Howard gets moved off...we should take a good run at Stamkos. If not him...then I don't mind getting someone like Andrew Ladd.

Ladd won't do anything for us. Not a good fit.

And I like him, but we'll be status quo with him. Stammer is a different story.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
10.5 Mil per season???

Still want him?

I do not think he signs anywhere for less except 1 location.... Tampa could get him for less than that... we wont though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
1. I do not see him signing for a cap hit over 9.75
2. I do not see him signing in Tampa, Drouin will not get moved, kucherov is an RFA and is gonna get paid at least 6, hedman will get 8 million very soon(within 2 years), johnson and palat are RFAs next season and will combine for at least 11 million and bishop comes up the same time as hedman and has earned a sizeable raise as well
3. Detroit can offer him #1 centre role and being the top dog
4. Detroit is close enough to toronto if that matters at all
5. With no datsyuk, detroit will have the cap space
6. I say our odds are pretty good and among the 2 or 3 "favourites" to land him

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
10.5 Mil per season???

Still want him?

I do not think he signs anywhere for less except 1 location.... Tampa could get him for less than that... we wont though.

i'd rather overpay for actual talent than spend it giving lifetime contracts to guys like Abdelkader

anyways it's pretty unlikely because 1: a lot of teams will be going after him and 2: the Wings would probably have to move Datsyuk or something

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Tampa has already offered him an AAV of 8.5M, which he said no to. Plus, TB has too many RFA (Killorn, Paquette, Kucherov, Namestnikov, Brown, Gudlevskis to name the most notable) that they will not be able to afford him.

I really think that he will sign elsewhere. Like someone else said, a gapping hole at the #1C spot, some money in the bank if Pavel/Howard are traded and the reduced media presence could be enticing.

Toronto has 13M in cap space next year, but they have a couple of RFA in Corrado, Marincin and Holland. They should be able to fit him in, but does he want all the attention?

FLA has 26M in cap space, but they have a lot of UFA leaving that they will have to replace. They still could make a run at him.

I really think it's between those 4 teams (FLA, TB, TOR and DET).

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly I'm worried about signing him. He hasn't been the same after that leg injury. He still has an elite shot but the guy does not create offense. Other people have to carry and distribute the puck. Here finishes. He's still obviously a tremendous player and if we sign him I hope I'm wrong...but honestly I wouldn't consider him for a penny over 9.5 and I don't think he's worth the 8.5 Tampa already offered him.
It would certainly be crazy to see if this could breathe new life into the team though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Honestly I'm worried about signing him. He hasn't been the same after that leg injury. He still has an elite shot but the guy does not create offense. Other people have to carry and distribute the puck. Here finishes. He's still obviously a tremendous player and if we sign him I hope I'm wrong...but honestly I wouldn't consider him for a penny over 9.5 and I don't think he's worth the 8.5 Tampa already offered him.
It would certainly be crazy to see if this could breathe new life into the team though.

this. he's a good hockey player with elite shot and ability to get open without the puck in the offensive zone. no more, no less. he's not a great playmaker or puck carrier and can't create much offense when the puck is on his stick. he's not great on the cycle or winning puck battles. he's medicore at best defensively. he's best years are behind him. any team that signs him will pay (at least) market value (somewhere around 10-11 mil i'd guess) for a guy who has his best years behind him and is not someone you can build around.

that said, i'm not completely opposed to sign him. he's still a very valuable hockey player even with his flaws. it's better to overpay for that instead of medicore talent (ericsson, abby etc.). he could keep wings floating and make the playoffs and win an occasional round for a while. but wings would need to make another series or moves to improve the defense significantly to get back to contender status. stamkos signing *may* even hurt with that, considering how much cap space he will take and prevent wings from getting high picks. if they suddenly start finding good dman at the draft, stamkos will be way past his prime by the time those dman are good.

but if/as wings aren't interested in tanking, i guess they should be going after stamkos. and the trade some of their wingers for a defenseman.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
this. he's a good hockey player with elite shot and ability to get open without the puck in the offensive zone. no more, no less. he's not a great playmaker or puck carrier and can't create much offense when the puck is on his stick. he's not great on the cycle or winning puck battles. he's medicore at best defensively. he's best years are behind him. any team that signs him will pay (at least) market value (somewhere around 10-11 mil i'd guess) for a guy who has his best years behind him and is not someone you can build around.

that said, i'm not completely opposed to sign him. he's still a very valuable hockey player even with his flaws. it's better to overpay for that instead of medicore talent (ericsson, abby etc.). he could keep wings floating and make the playoffs and win an occasional round for a while. but wings would need to make another series or moves to improve the defense significantly to get back to contender status. stamkos signing *may* even hurt with that, considering how much cap space he will take and prevent wings from getting high picks. if they suddenly start finding good dman at the draft, stamkos will be way past his prime by the time those dman are good.

but if/as wings aren't interested in tanking, i guess they should be going after stamkos. and the trade some of their wingers for a defenseman.

his best years are behind him?

would you trade for tavares or better yet sign him for free?

come on the guy is 26, he may never score 60 goals again but so what, crosby will never get 120pts again, ovechkin wont ever get 65 plus goals again, karlsson will likely never get 80pts again, holtby will likely never get 48 or more wins again, malkin will never break 100pts again the list would endless if we play that game

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If he can score 40 goals here, I'll pay him whatever.

Single-handedly fixes our crap power play, as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
his best years are behind him?

would you trade for tavares or better yet sign him for free?

come on the guy is 26, he may never score 60 goals again but so what, crosby will never get 120pts again, ovechkin wont ever get 65 plus goals again, karlsson will likely never get 80pts again, holtby will likely never get 48 or more wins again, malkin will never break 100pts again the list would endless if we play that game

i think tavares best years could be ahead of him. he has potential to improve. and has shown improvement in his weaknesses, even making some of them to strenghts in the past 5 seasons. stamkos has just gotten worse or stayed the same.

same with karlsson and holtby (as with JT). i think crosby will be quite a bit better than stamkos over the next 5-7 years or so. i might not want to sign ovechkin and malkin for the deals that they could command in the open market.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If he can score 40 goals here, I'll pay him whatever.

Single-handedly fixes our crap power play, as well.

13 teams had worse PP than us (on PP goal production rate). including tampa who had 5th worst. that's what happens when you just rely on stamkos' one-timers and other teams learn to shut it down and have no/bad plan B.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i think tavares best years could be ahead of him. he has potential to improve. and has shown improvement in his weaknesses, even making some of them to strenghts in the past 5 seasons. stamkos has just gotten worse or stayed the same.

same with karlsson and holtby (as with JT). i think crosby will be quite a bit better than stamkos over the next 5-7 years or so. i might not want to sign ovechkin and malkin for the deals that they could command in the open market.

no no no

you said stamkos' best years are behind him, inferring that he will never match his best season

so lets play that game

do you think
karlsson will ever reach 80pts again?
crosby will ever reach 120pts again?
ovechkin will score 65 goals and 112pts again?
malkin will ever reach 113pts again?
holtby will tie or break the NHL single season win record again?

because those are the best seasons from those players

if any or all of them can become better in other areas of the game but yet not reach those numbers again then why cant stamkos?

the argument was stamkos' best years are behind him, that way of thinking would apply to all of those players and yet i wold take all of them in a heartbeat at 9 million and even so much more a season

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Paying him 10m to score 70 points and net 35-40 goals isn't worth it

Our top scorer had 50 points and was paid 7.5M. If someone is paid 2M more than that and nets 20 or more points (for 70 or more total points), while scoring 40G - an area where the Wings were 23rd in the league - he's worth it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad