Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Boy this is tough. So many options. This season I'd prefer to keep 18/9/26 together as our 2nd line. I don't see us sending down Kucherov at this point so barring injuries it's between Panik and Brown to go back to Syracuse. Or one of Malone, Purcell or Pyatt gets traded / waived.

With Stamkos playing center this is probably my best guess:

Killorn - Stamkos - Purcell
Palat - Johnson - St. Louis
Brown* - Filppula - Kucherov
Malone - Thompson - Crombeen

Three strong scoring lines, one grinding line. You could also switch Purcell with Kucherov.
*Brown is interchangeable with Pyatt or Panik although I'd prefer Bad News Brown for now.

With Stamkos moving to LW though you could put him with Filppula and one of Purcell, Killorn, Brown or even Kucherov or Panik.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
While the idea is nice, we don't have the center depth to not play Stammer at C. We're rolling 11 Fs most nights because of that, and Thompson, who I ****ing love I just want to make clear, is best suited in a #4C role. He's stepped up admirably, but it's time to let him go back and do his thing.

Honestly, Move Johnson/Palat back to the third line and give them Klutch as the other winger. Reunite Marty and Stammer with Killorn, and do a second line of Brown-Flip-Purcell. I know TJ has played well, but once again, you don't want to have kids playing over their heads if they don't need to. Then we can roll a fourth line of Malone-Nate-Panik/Pyatt/Crombeen.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
someone like Goc could be nice addition. Good in faceoffs and solid all around. Would allow flip or stammer move to wing and nate back to 4c. Could really build lines in any way possible and still leaving bottom as
Brown-Nate-Panik
Malone-Crombeen just good depth.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
While the idea is nice, we don't have the center depth to not play Stammer at C. We're rolling 11 Fs most nights because of that, and Thompson, who I ****ing love I just want to make clear, is best suited in a #4C role. He's stepped up admirably, but it's time to let him go back and do his thing.

Honestly, Move Johnson/Palat back to the third line and give them Klutch as the other winger. Reunite Marty and Stammer with Killorn, and do a second line of Brown-Flip-Purcell. I know TJ has played well, but once again, you don't want to have kids playing over their heads if they don't need to. Then we can roll a fourth line of Malone-Nate-Panik/Pyatt/Crombeen.

100 million percent agree:)

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Move Johnson. His value is through the roof right now. I'm a huge fan of the kid but with our prospect pool it makes alot of sense

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Move Johnson. His value is through the roof right now. I'm a huge fan of the kid but with our prospect pool it makes alot of sense

No thank you. Kid is very solid in all 3 zones and has game breaking speed at the C position. We don't have many quality Cs in our pool.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
No thank you. Kid is very solid in all 3 zones and has game breaking speed at the C position. We don't have many quality Cs in our pool.

This isn't NHL 13 if you want a quality player you have to give up quality. If you want to join the group on this board that thinks we can trade Purcell or Connolly with some picks to get anything worth a **** be my guest. Also, today I learned Vladislav and Drouin are not quality.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This isn't NHL 13 if you want a quality player you have to give up quality. If you want to join the group on this board that thinks we can trade Purcell or Connolly with some picks to get anything worth a **** be my guest. Also, today I learned Vladislav and Drouin are not quality.

So you'd rather move Johnson who's been pretty much a perfect fit? Forget what's coming back. You also have to consider what you're moving out, and we don't have another guy who provides what Johnson provides. All trading him would do is create a hole by filling a hole.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
So you'd rather move Johnson who's been pretty much a perfect fit? Forget what's coming back. You also have to consider what you're moving out, and we don't have another guy who provides what Johnson provides. All trading him would do is create a hole by filling a hole.

You're right, it probably makes no sense but when Stamkos is back I worry about his value when he's back on the third. As much as I like Johnson he is our most valuable trade bait, someone needs to get moved and this just seems like an outstanding opportunity to me.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Ok, number 1) Cut the ****ing attitude, 2) I never said we should trade anybody for anything, and 3) I said "we don't have many quality C's". That does not mean none and that does not mean one. Namestnikov is a very good C prospect and I wouldn't classify Drouin as a C after playing 30 games as one. We'll see.

Seriously though, cut the attitude. It's not appreciated or welcome.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Johnson and Palat is the epitome of what Cooper and Yzerman are trying to build here. More likely to see Brown/Connolly/Panik dealt

I don't think its about center depth. Stamkos-Flip-Johnson and Vlad waiting in the wings. That doesn't factor in potentially having Drouin play center, not sure what they are going to do with JD

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Ok, number 1) Cut the ****ing attitude, 2) I never said we should trade anybody for anything, and 3) I said "we don't have many quality C's". That does not mean none and that does not mean one. Namestnikov is a very good C prospect and I wouldn't classify Drouin as a C after playing 30 games as one. We'll see.

Seriously though, cut the attitude. It's not appreciated or welcome.

4) We have too many prospects, not enough roster spots. It's a given we need to trade. If you don't want to post anything but "no thanks he's good". I don't know what you expect me to respond to that.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
To make a statement like "we don't have many quality centers" is inaccurate. Drouin was asked to move to his natural position which is the center position. He played LW to be on the same line as McKinnon...but he is a center. Namestnikov is projected to be as good a prospect as Kucheverov...so we have plenty of depth at the Center position including Killorn and Pyatt who can both play center.

I don't agree with moving Johnson as I'm a big fan. Nobody on the boards wanted to trade Conacher either...and we saw how that turned out. So I wouldnt mind trading him for the right asset. I love a third line that includes Johnson/Palat - I think they are the perfect third line for the Bolts of the future.

Stamkos/Drouin
Namestnikov/Kucherov
Johnson/Palat

We have to move around the other pieces SLOWLY to accomodate for these three lines - I think.

I'd like to see Connolly with Johnson/Palat as the third line sniper/scorer. As long as Connolly doesnt have to go to the dirty areas of the ice...I think he will be ok. At Syracuse he is being used in this role now...with Names in the middle and the dirty areas being handled by DiSalvatore - Connolly is finding his groove and confidence again. I also wouldnt mind fielding a 4th line featuring Thompson and Brown.

Last edited:

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia

Settle down big fellah.

Johnsons not going anywhere. Where not going to trade a young 2-way centerman who plays against other teams top lines.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're right, it probably makes no sense but when Stamkos is back I worry about his value when he's back on the third. As much as I like Johnson he is our most valuable trade bait, someone needs to get moved and this just seems like an outstanding opportunity to me.

But Johnson is an incredible 3rd line center because he can also be bumped up to scoring lines when need be. The depth he provides, and the versatility, is a decent part of why we're winning. That's hard to replace, and impossible to replace with our current roster. His trade value is meaningless since, barring a lottery-win type deal, we shouldn't be considering trading him any time soon.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
4) We have too many prospects, not enough roster spots. It's a given we need to trade. If you don't want to post anything but "no thanks he's good". I don't know what you expect me to respond to that.

I understand that we have too many prospects. Johnson is a big reason we've been able to weather the stamkos injury up until now though. The only issue with keeping Johnson IMO is he's small and we are already a tiny team. He plays great defense and does all of the little things though, it's the glue that keeps the team together.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Yes, because all prospects must be playing in the NHL by next season. Use them or lose them, right?

There is no reason to trade a 23 year old center that has game breaking speed and high defensive awareness to go along with his strong offense because others are waiting behind him. He had to wait his turn and others must as well. TJ also has NHL experience now, something none of our other C prospects have. Let's see them take an NHL shift before we all start creaming ourselves and trading away young talent.

About too many prospects and not enough roster spots, I would rather see guys like Malone and Purcell gone before TJs and Browns.

And I expect you to respond like an adult and to not start acting like an ******* because I disagreed with you.

To make a statement like "we don't have many quality centers" is inaccurate. Drouin was asked to move to his natural position which is the center position. He played LW to be on the same line as McKinnon...but he is a center. Namestnikov is projected to be as good a prospect as Kucherov...so we have plenty of depth at the Center position including Killorn and Pyatt who can both play center.

I meant quality C depth in our prospect pool. I'm not sure where you've heard that Namestnikov is projected to be as good as Kucherov because I certainly haven't heard that. I think Vladdy is going to be a great NHL player but Kucherov is an elite prospect and Namestnikov is not. Drouin has been rocking C in the Q but Johnson also rocked faceoffs in the A. It's a totally different game up here. If Drouin continues to play C and excels at it in the NHL, I could see him centering Stamkos. As far as Killorn and Pyatt playing C as well, they both are more comfortable on the wing and Killorn has shown his comfort level at C this year.

That means our centers are:
Stamkos (better suited for wing and may end up there with Val or Jo centering him)
Val (versatility as C or W)
TJ
Namestnikov (I don't think he'll be up next year unless he destroys training camp, needs to stay healthy for a full year in the A)
Drouin (can very easily play wing)
Thompson

I don't agree with moving Johnson as I'm a big fan. Nobody on the boards wanted to trade Conacher either...and we saw how that turned out. So I wouldn't mind trading him for the right asset. I love a third line that includes Johnson/Palat - I think they are the perfect third line for the Bolts of the future.

Stamkos/Drouin
Namestnikov/Kucherov
Johnson/Palat

We have to move around the other pieces SLOWLY to accommodate for these three lines - I think.

I'd like to see Connolly with Johnson/Palat as the third line sniper/scorer. As long as Connolly doesn't have to go to the dirty areas of the ice...I think he will be ok. At Syracuse he is being used in this role now...with Names in the middle and the dirty areas being handled by DiSalvatore - Connolly is finding his groove and confidence again. I also wouldn't mind fielding a 4th line featuring Thompson and Brown

Unless it's something like the Conacher trade, where we get something back that will make us better both short and long term, there is no reason to trade Johnson. I don't get the "trade him because we have new guys behind him" argument. Johnson is still shiny and new, and performing like one hell of a hockey player.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I agree I look at our depth and have concerns on center. Is always good to have 1-2 legit back ups. I dont move stamkos flip johnson namestnikov or thompson thats five.

Drouin might or might not wind up six I see him more with stamkos and kucherov in future as our top line and see stamkos probably staying at center.

I like having 5-6 guys who legit can be top two line centers.

We are ok rhw lhw in my opinions. We could use one top 4 d guy depending on what salo does etc.. We could use a replacement for brewer cause of his cost and progression upgrading to a number 3 guy in his spot would be nice.

These things we dont need to do though.

Purcell, Connolly/Killorn/Panik/Brown/Pyatt, Barberio/Aulie plus picks? Or a good pick? I would think most GMS around the league would move a 3-4 d guy for a deal surrounding them or some of them etc..

We don't really need to do a lot we saw this year injuries can decimate a team franchise not as deep as tampa:) Keeping our deepness is gonna be a good thing when are doing true cup runs:)

So if right deal comes along we do what is necessary is just those deals don't grow on trees so is gonna be smaller deals honestly to upgrade a couple of spots probably.

HotPaquette

Apr 7, 2012
Sarasota, Fl
I honestly think we have a legitimate shot at wining a cup in the next 2-3 years, you just look at our lineup and we are deep at every position, yes trading for a new player could be great but who would he replace and where? There is just so much depth on our lineup that trading for a new player almost seems like a bad idea and our lineup really is fine where it is at this time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Trading Johnson makes zero sense, and would be a horribly stupid move. Drouin is questionable as a C, and Namestnikov, while developing well, is no sure thing to be effective. Our crazy depth is on the wing, not at C.

Anyway, I agree that we don't have any gaping holes that need to be filled. Our biggest "need" is a #2D, but it's more of "would be nice" than a "need" at the moment.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
[nhl]582843[/nhl]

Thought this was interesting. Dude is so humble.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Very humble and at the same time he doesn't give you all those generic athlete interview answers. He's an intelligent young man, down to earth, modest and yet a hard working and ambitious warrior. Great captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad