Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think the deal was five years because Steven wanted five years, not because of Yzerman or anyone else.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
When we signed Stamkos for 5 years what was the reason for not locking him up (like) forever?

I'm thinking we could have given him 10 million a year for 10 years and be way ahead right now.

Or was Stamkos looking a little towards Toronto and didn't want to commit to the Lightning for that long.

Or was Stevie not sold on Stamkos?

I said right away that I would have given him a 10 or how many years you could have given instead of just 5.

Why give him 10m a year when he accepts 7.5m? I believe it was Espo who said Vinny would have taken less but the cowboys through those big numbers at him, so what was he suppose to do, not take it? Unfortunately that contract became too much for us to move forward with. You get yourself in trouble doing 10 year deals. What if Stammer's injury this year was way worse and he was never the same again? What Yzerman gave Stammer is a good deal. Besides the league was cracking down on big contracts, and I'm sure Yzerman was keeping in mind that the CBA and cap ceiling would change in a season.

Stammer never wanted to go anywhere but here and Yzerman was completely sold on Stammer. They both worked out something that's good for both sides and Stammer is being paid fairly. There's no worry with him just because it's 5 years. He's our franchise player. Stammer's going to be here for a while.

Last edited:

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Nobody should take it for granted that Stamkos will be here long term. He is only under contract for two more seasons, then has the freedom to sign where he wants. I don't think anybody should really worry about him leaving (other than Yzerman) before the end of next summer. Nor do I think he has said or done anything to imply he's looking to move on elsewhere when his contract is up. But, by the same token, until he signs an extension it is a possibility we shouldn't overlook.

Honestly, this is the most worrying aspect of believing we shouldn't be pressing for cup contention because the kids aren't ready. Or that we should wholesale turn the team over to the kids (moreso than we have already) and hope it all works out in the end. If we take a lottery-bound type of step back next season we'll be skating on thin ice with regards to a Stamkos extension getting done the offseason before his contract expires. You don't waste ANY of the most prime years one of the best players in the world has to offer just so some fringe NHL prospects get a shot to work through all their growing pains. Lesser leagues are for 'learning'. If the kids can't beat out veteran players that have demonstrable capacity in the roles the kids are projected to, then they don't deserve to play in the NHL. If we can't compete with Stamkos we should not be surprised to lose him in two years.

I'm not trying to start Stammergeddon early and hope he has a long productive career leading the Lightning to their next three or four cups. If we don't try to contend for one every year Stamkos is here, we don't deserve to keep him.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Nobody should take it for granted that Stamkos will be here long term. He is only under contract for two more seasons, then has the freedom to sign where he wants. I don't think anybody should really worry about him leaving (other than Yzerman) before the end of next summer. Nor do I think he has said or done anything to imply he's looking to move on elsewhere when his contract is up. But, by the same token, until he signs an extension it is a possibility we shouldn't overlook.

Honestly, this is the most worrying aspect of believing we shouldn't be pressing for cup contention because the kids aren't ready. Or that we should wholesale turn the team over to the kids (moreso than we have already) and hope it all works out in the end. If we take a lottery-bound type of step back next season we'll be skating on thin ice with regards to a Stamkos extension getting done the offseason before his contract expires. You don't waste ANY of the most prime years one of the best players in the world has to offer just so some fringe NHL prospects get a shot to work through all their growing pains. Lesser leagues are for 'learning'. If the kids can't beat out veteran players that have demonstrable capacity in the roles the kids are projected to, then they don't deserve to play in the NHL. If we can't compete with Stamkos we should not be surprised to lose him in two years.

I'm not trying to start Stammergeddon early and hope he has a long productive career leading the Lightning to their next three or four cups. If we don't try to contend for one every year Stamkos is here, we don't deserve to keep him.

I take it that he is smart enough to stay with what we are building. I agree he could move on. What will say is hear a lot or often toronto will give him an outrageous deal. He is UFA so don't believe someone can offer sheet him. So at least that is out. I am pretty tired right now so could be wrong.

No matter what canadians believe the best players in the world are not beating down doors to go play for the home team:) Toronto is such a mess if stamkos went there I would say bon voyage.

We showed last year can win without Stammer not that I want to:) Even beyond his playing he is a great person. I really like him for his qualities beyond scoring and being our leader on the ice etc..

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I think the deal was five years because Steven wanted five years, not because of Yzerman or anyone else.

Exactly

Trust me if Stevie could have locked him up forever he would have. that's what you do when you have a player like Crosby, Ovechkin or Stamkos. I believe Stamkos already had the most goals of any player for his time in the NHL when he signed his contract and everyone knew who he was there was no more guessing at that point.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's going to be so hard to wait through this summer, man. A lot of positives going into next season, and this might be the biggest one. If we get the two-way beast-mode Stamkos back + end of season Palat + elite level Hedman + elite level Bishop... Not a lot more needs to go right.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
It's going to be so hard to wait through this summer, man. A lot of positives going into next season, and this might be the biggest one. If we get the two-way beast-mode Stamkos back + end of season Palat + elite level Hedman + elite level Bishop... Not a lot more needs to go right.

+ the most exciting prospect in all of hockey ;)

iwtb*

Cooper has to give him good line mates. When he played alongside Killorn and Purcell... Ugh, that was terrible to watch. That line with TyJo in the middle and Drej in the left was beauty to watch. That should be our first line.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Steven Stamkos' next contract

In light of the Toews and Kane contracts (8 years, $84M, $10.5M per) how does this fair for Stamkos in the coming seasons? Are we looking at locking him up for another 5 years? It really comes down to what Stamkos wants I would think - which may be longer. Maybe 8 years, $100M, $12.5M per?

I always thought Yzerman would do his best to resign him this season to an extension...

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't know if he's allowed to re-sign him this season - I thought you could only extend in the year before FA. Still, he's going to get paid.

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
Hope Yzerman will convince Stamkos to less cap-hit, but probably not too much. So I guess something like 8 years - 88 mil. - 11 mil. per.

In other cases, I am wondering, how much money will earn Hedman and Bishop. Hedman's new contract may depends on new Subban' contract. Bishop will get little more than Schneider, I guess. So Hedman 7+ mil. per season and Bishop 6.5-7 mil. per season.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
They're already discussing it on the main boards: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1706525

It's probably gonna be this:
1b7e8959be6c217a95bfa4cc7876c75b.jpg

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Hope Yzerman will convince Stamkos to less cap-hit, but probably not too much. So I guess something like 8 years - 88 mil. - 11 mil. per.

In other cases, I am wondering, how much money will earn Hedman and Bishop. Hedman's new contract may depends on new Subban' contract. Bishop will get little more than Schneider, I guess. So Hedman 7+ mil. per season and Bishop 6.5-7 mil. per season.
I think Hedman gets 7.5 bishop gets 5.5 or 6.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
I really don't care how insane his salary will be, gotta lock him up for as long as possible. He is one of the most prolific scorers in the league, no way Mr. Vinik and Yzerman will let him walk.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
$12m x 8, and that's a hometown discount.

This I said if subban hit 8 and toews went over 10 than stammer gets 12. Is logical.

Now bishop? He does NOT have Schneider's resume. So something similar will be fair doubt he gets more unless he is lights out we win the cup and he is vezina in landslide.

So something around 6 x 6.

Hedman is gonna get paid but a long way off. If Hedman improves which he can he is seriously going to get paid like 10 million when he comes up.

We have the money and will work it out. Good news is expansion will happen soon:) Should be right in window where we need the extra bucks to keep the team together and keep winning cups!!

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Unless Stamkos somehow sucks over the next two year (very very unlikely), he is going to get paid. Anything less than $12 mil AAV would really surprise me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This I said if subban hit 8 and toews went over 10 than stammer gets 12. Is logical.

Now bishop? He does NOT have Schneider's resume. So something similar will be fair doubt he gets more unless he is lights out we win the cup and he is vezina in landslide.

So something around 6 x 6.

Hedman is gonna get paid but a long way off. If Hedman improves which he can he is seriously going to get paid like 10 million when he comes up.

We have the money and will work it out. Good news is expansion will happen soon:) Should be right in window where we need the extra bucks to keep the team together and keep winning cups!!

Bishop's contract will depend largely on this year. If he's a Vezina candidate again, he'll get more than Schneider. If he's not, he'll get somewhere in the same neighborhood. I wouldn't bet on anything less than 5.5 though. And if we have any faith in Bishop at all, it's probably going to be close to 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->