Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we were going to shake up the lines for Bostons last shift, maybe this?

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Killorn Stamkos Gourde
Miller Point X
Kunitz Paquette Callahan

?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we were going to shake up the lines for Bostons last shift, maybe this?

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Killorn Stamkos Gourde
Miller Point X
Kunitz Paquette Callahan

?

How can I forget Cirelli. Ok here is the new one.

Palat Johnson Kucherov
Miller Point Gourde
Killorn Cirelli Stamkos
Kunitz Paquette Callahan

Actually like these lines.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to leave the Point line intact. Overall, it's been our best line throughout these playoffs, and has been dominant at times.

Palat-Point-Johnson
Gourde-Miller-Kucherov
Killorn-Stamkos-Cirelli
Kunitz-Paquette-Callahan

Basically just switching Stamkos and Gourde in hopes of getting Stammer an easier matchup.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly - I don't think you change anything (except maybe switching Gourde and Miller). At some point, you just have to ask your superstar to play like a superstar.

Reactions: Master P

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Honestly - I don't think you change anything (except maybe switching Gourde and Miller). At some point, you just have to ask your superstar to play like a superstar.

Kucherov is, the other guy on his line isn't but is the captain so you really can't call him out in the media. A demotion might do the trick as nothing else is working with him.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I have heard rumblings that Stammer's injury is an MCL sprain/tear. I advocate switching him out with Gourde not in hopes of getting Stammer going but rather in putting another aggressive puck hound that can score alongside Kuch.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I have heard rumblings that Stammer's injury is an MCL sprain/tear. I advocate switching him out with Gourde not in hopes of getting Stammer going but rather in putting another aggressive puck hound that can score alongside Kuch.

Every playoffs rumors pop up that Stamkos is injured. One year he even had to set the media straight. It's more likely that this is just what he is now. When Kucherov goes cold, Stamkos can't rack up points.

I think it's more than a little bit concerning that he was only our 3rd highest goal-scorer this year, a year in which he was more/less healthy wire-to-wire. His playmaking looked much-improved in the first half, but I'm still not sure if that was real or a mirage, because he definitely didn't sustain it. I think it's a lot more likely that his stats got massively inflated by Kucherov, especially early in the year when teams were maybe focusing a little more on Stamkos and giving Kucherov too much space and time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's the same as last time: Canadian media. They don't watch Stamkos on a regular basis, so, come playoff time, when they actually do watch him, they can't fathom that this is the way he plays now, so they decide he must be injured. We saw the same thing in 2015.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
When Simmonds was injured everyone saw it as it was clearly noticeable in his game in the Pens series. What's the noticeable difference in Stamkos's game that's different from the last 50 games he played in the regular season or his other playoff appearances? Not much.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho Man

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
I want him to win a Cup here, this year, and then I want to trade him in the offseason when we can still get a king's ransom for him.
I don't think he'll be traded though. As shrewd as Yzerman is, I don't think he would sell Stammer on taking such a sweet contract only to sell him out.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Stop talking about trading our captain! He is a flawed player but don’t trade the man after all he’s done for Tampa.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stop talking about trading our captain! He is a flawed player but don’t trade the man after all he’s done for Tampa.

He won't be traded unless his performance actually becomes a detriment instead of a disappointment but he's not untouchable, see Vinny Lecavalier who did much more for Tampa.

Stamkos can still easily rebound his performance the biggest problem is that we need him to get to a point where we stop hoping for him to show up but actually expect him to.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, he won't be traded so long as he's one of our better players. It would just look bad. Then again, it's not like Yzerman hasn't shocked us before. But I actually think word is out on Stamkos now, and any scout worth his salt realizes that he's no longer an elite player, but a very good player who has elite moments.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nobody will want Stamkos, he's falling apart and not a winner, we are stuck with him unfortunately. What has Stamkos done for Tampa anyway? He's done nothing for the franchise or the city like Lecavlier did, he's also never won the cup like Vinny has.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
As long as Stammer is putting up 80 points in the regular season I see no cause for concern. He's injured right now and his game is crap because of it.

Reactions: berlin

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
JC can we let up a bit on Stammer. He’s dealing with injuries, his 89 point season wasn’t by mistake.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Stammer is basically a statue out there. I will say he did kinda play some D tonight but that line should dominate. Why is out on the PK? He lost his man and it lead to a goal.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
As long as Stammer is putting up 80 points in the regular season I see no cause for concern. He's injured right now and his game is crap because of it.
I'm not sure that anybody with a serious LBI (or two?), skates the way he did tonight. He was buying space for himself with his legs. Not that it matters. He played pretty well. A game like tonight was all I wanted to see from him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's the playoffs, who isn't injured? Don't see it making the other 17 skaters look like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad