Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How many of those seasons was he sidelined by inquires again?
Look I'm not saying there isn't room for him to improve in the playoffs. I think everyone is in agreement that he can/should do better. I just don't get where all this "take the C away from him" "he's not good enough in the playoffs" talk is coming from. They just beat their first round opponent in 5 games, Stamkos was over a ppg and our best player Kucherov was our best player.

It's been outlined for you but comprehension.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Seems like a lot of flak for Stamkos, who had a point in every game - but not much heat on playoff warrior Tyler Johnson, who after a stellar game 1 was help pointless in games 3-5.

I get the significance of the eye test and I agree with some who are wishing he could be a bit sharper, but I'm not sure Stamkos deserves some of the more disparaging comments in this thread.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Of for ****s sake. You make it seem like he's being paid 12 million. Get over it.

Oh I didn't know 8.5m was chump change, maybe he should take Killorn or Johnson money if he's going to need them to carry him in the playoffs. Accept it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Seems like a lot of flak for Stamkos, who had a point in every game - but not much heat on playoff warrior Tyler Johnson, who after a stellar game 1 was help pointless in games 3-5.

I get the significance of the eye test and I agree with some who are wishing he could be a bit sharper, but I'm not sure Stamkos deserves some of the more disparaging comments in this thread.

Why would a depth guy who provides depth get flak for not bring a primary threat? Whereas the teams highest paid player, and 1st line C wasn't a top-5 player this series. The standards are different.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stamkos is not our franchise player. Kucherov and Hedman are surely better. And I’d argue Point (matchup center + offensive and possession beast) and Vasilevskiy (Vezina finalist) are closer to stammer than stammer is to those two. We don’t need him to be a franchise player. So stop complaining.

He is the franchise player - this is dumb.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Why would a depth guy who provides depth get flak for not bring a primary threat? Whereas the teams highest paid player, and 1st line C wasn't a top-5 player this series. The standards are different.
Why do you hate Stamkos so much bud? You seem pretty raddled. Stamkos is a better player than Killorn and Johnson. Deal with it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why do you hate Stamkos so much bud? You seem pretty raddled. Stamkos is a better player than Killorn and Johnson. Deal with it.

Some people seem to touchy on the subject - can't differentiate criticism, get emotional and start whining cause their favorite player isn't perfect. It's ok bud, take a seat next to the Callahan guy cause you sound just like him.

Reactions: The Macho Man

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Stamkos is paid to put up points, not to look good. As long as the production is there, I'm content. When the production runs out, maybe I'll start worrying - but as it stands, he's over PPG in these playoffs and the 2nd highest scoring player on the team.

I get that maybe he wasn't always the one driving the goals, but as long as his line is producing, I don't care. We knew what we had with Stamkos - he's never been the kind of guy to take over a playoff game. So I guess I'm confused why everyone is acting surprised and wanting to take away the C over what is essentially the norm (or even slightly better than the norm).

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Some people seem to touchy on the subject - can't differentiate criticism, get emotional and start whining cause their favorite player isn't perfect. It's ok bud, take a seat next to the Callahan guy cause you sound just like him.
Criticism is different from shitting on the guy for no reason. Seems like you're the one getting emotional here bud. I'm not going anywhere, so you're gonna have to deal with me or take a hike.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Criticism is different from ****ting on the guy for no reason. Seems like you're the one getting emotional here bud. I'm not going anywhere, so you're gonna have to deal with me or take a hike.

You're the one crying "everyone stahhhppp", no ones telling you to leave - again too emotional. Where are people "shitting on the guy"?

Criticism is about his play no one said anything about hating him or him as a person, so show me where? Or did you just pull that out of your ass because your favorite player is taking heat. Maybe a hike is needed in your case - oxygen and all.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
You're the one crying "everyone stahhhppp", no ones telling you to leave - again too emotional.
I don't agree with people who are saying he should lose his C or that he makes too much money. You can keep saying i'm "too emotional" but that doesn't make it true. You're just upset that there are people who still think Stamkos is a good player.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't agree with people who are saying he should lose his C or that he makes too much money. You can keep saying I'm "too emotional" but that doesn't make it true. You're just upset that there are people who still think Stamkos is a good player.

Um no, I can like Stamkos without this blinded lovefest for him like "some" people. Nobody here criticizing Stamkos doesn't think he's a good player, under-performing is the main issue, which seems to have been lost while throwing irrelevant things into this. You do know the argument for taking the C off was that it might help him perform with less pressure right? Because you know, some of us want to see him play better.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Um no, I can like Stamkos without this blinded lovefest for him like "some" people. Nobody here criticizing Stamkos doesn't think he's a good player, under-performing is the main issue, which seems to have been lost while throwing irrelevant things into this. You do know the argument for taking the C off was that it might help him perform with less pressure right? Because you know, some of us want to see him play better. But some people got emotional and took it as an insult.
"blinded lovefest" ahahaha spare me. Stamkos did fine in round one, can he do better? Of course. You just want people to see things your way. I don't see taking the C away from him as a way to take pressure off can improve his game. There is no guarantee that it would work, in fact it could cause more problems. But "some people" think they no better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Never said he doesn't do anything wrong bud. Its just that I find the amount of criticism after round 1 to be a bit unwarranted.

It's a culmination from other playoff rounds too though, not just round 1.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Johnson created a lot of chances throughout the series. That's pretty much all I want from Stamkos too. Just look dangerous. He doesn't.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Had this discussion with some buddies over the weekend and what better place to get an actual opinion from the TB board. 1st this is not hating or trolling, congrats on the Round 1 victory. TB was clearly the better team.

I had argued Stamkos has dropped off as an impact player. Admittedly I haven't really watched him for his whole career so I'm not entirely sure how steep a drop it's been but I knew the reputation. While he's obviously playing hurt with some sort of injury he was't noticeable at all against NJD. I brought up he doesn't have elite speed, vision, passing/playmaking skills, hands to make my point... he's basically become a spot up shooter. He doesn't even create his own shot. Now maybe this was what he always was and since he's lost a step he's now more or less a one trick pony. So is this an accurate assessment and how good is he defensively?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I LOVE Stammer. He's an all-time fav of mine but the guy looks like a statue out there. He's slow and making awful plays. That whiff yesterday was terrible. He is dragging Kuch down. JT, I was told, does nothing in the playoffs. He has not changed at all.

Not sure what to do about it but if he's injured again? Man, not good.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Had this discussion with some buddies over the weekend and what better place to get an actual opinion from the TB board. 1st this is not hating or trolling, congrats on the Round 1 victory. TB was clearly the better team.

I had argued Stamkos has dropped off as an impact player. Admittedly I haven't really watched him for his whole career so I'm not entirely sure how steep a drop it's been but I knew the reputation. While he's obviously playing hurt with some sort of injury he was't noticeable at all against NJD. I brought up he doesn't have elite speed, vision, passing/playmaking skills, hands to make my point... he's basically become a spot up shooter. He doesn't even create his own shot. Now maybe this was what he always was and since he's lost a step he's now more or less a one trick pony. So is this an accurate assessment and how good is he defensively?

I've been thinking for a long time that he's trying to do too much and ends up doing nothing. He's at his best when he's focusing on getting open and shooting. He's competent defensively and has gotten better with the years. He has always been "overrated" because of his goal totals, there are many 1C that usually are rated below him but have a higher impact of games... Kopitar for example.

In this playoffs he has been particularly bad though, missing easy chances and making wtf plays. Not sure what's up with him honestly.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've been thinking for a long time that he's trying to do too much and ends up doing nothing. He's at his best when he's focusing on getting open and shooting. He's competent defensively and has gotten better with the years. He has always been "overrated" because of his goal totals, there are many 1C that usually are rated below him but have a higher impact of games... Kopitar for example.

In this playoffs he has been particularly bad though, missing easy chances and making wtf plays. Not sure what's up with him honestly.

Exactly like this in the 2014-2016 seasons as well including the cup run. If he's not outscoring guys with a complete games by a margin points he's not going to be a better impact, he's extremely lucky to be in the market he's in and the depth he plays behind, guy would be ripped deservingly on a big market team.

Ovechkin who isn't exactly an all round player and stylistically the same as current Stamkos, but actually smart enough to play to his skillset is actually a huge impact player in the Pens series right now, no reason Stamkos couldn't be the same if his head were on straight.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Exactly like this in the 2014-2016 seasons as well including the cup run. If he's not outscoring guys with a complete games by a margin points he's not going to be a better impact, he's extremely lucky to be in the market he's in and the depth he plays behind, guy would be ripped deservingly on a big market team.

Ovechkin who isn't exactly an all round player and stylistically the same as current Stamkos, but actually smart enough to play to his skillset is actually a huge impact player in the Pens series right now, no reason Stamkos couldn't be the same if his head were on straight.

My exact comparison was going to be Ovechkin. Spot up shooter but Ovie obviously brings more of a physical presence and can have an impact without necessarily scoring goals. He's not a 1C anymore? I was surprised to see Miller taking most of the draws in the NJD series, correct me if I'm wrong but Stamkos has been moved from C to W alot over his career? I'm assuming for necessity as 1C isn't a easy position to come by in the league. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is hurt (isn't he always). I can say that his style will not age well...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The sad part is there's no real reason to believe he's hurt. This is what he is April-June, and has been for a while.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
My exact comparison was going to be Ovechkin. Spot up shooter but Ovie obviously brings more of a physical presence and can have an impact without necessarily scoring goals. He's not a 1C anymore? I was surprised to see Miller taking most of the draws in the NJD series, correct me if I'm wrong but Stamkos has been moved from C to W alot over his career? I'm assuming for necessity as 1C isn't a easy position to come by in the league. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is hurt (isn't he always). I can say that his style will not age well...

Nope, Miller takes some draws because he's good at them but Stamkos is the C on that line, he pretty much will only play C.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We might actually be seeing Stamkos overtaken for the #1 spot as we speak. It's hard to argue that Brayden Point isn't the guy that Jon Cooper is most heavily relying on right now. If Stamkos and Kucherov were separated right now, I really think Stammer's line would be considered the 3rd line.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
We might actually be seeing Stamkos overtaken for the #1 spot as we speak. It's hard to argue that Brayden Point isn't the guy that Jon Cooper is most heavily relying on right now. If Stamkos and Kucherov were separated right now, I really think Stammer's line would be considered the 3rd line.
I was thinking some time in the late 2nd or 3rd period that Stamkos could use some time off Kucherov's line. Kucherov looked pretty frustrated yesterday, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad