Steven Stamkos versus John Tavares

Who do you take?

• Total voters

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I flip flop on these two all the time. Stamkos is a better goal scorer for sure, but I think Tavares is a better all around player.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I flip flop on these two all the time. Stamkos is a better goal scorer for sure, but I think Tavares is a better all around player.

He's not. Not anymore, anyway.

Tavares all day in this.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Tavares is on a team with MSL, then he isn't going to lead the team in scoring either. MSL was a point producing machine. Kucherov has also been nuts the past two seasons...doubt Tavares would have broken 100.

I'd say they are pretty even though, I can't really decide on who to vote for so I won't.
LMFAO have you no seen the bump Stamkos numbers got with Kucherov and MSL? Tavares has been ppg without wingers anywhere near that caliber.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I need to see JT on the Leafs for a year before I make this decision. Both players will be on elite offences, JT for the first time. Should give a pretty good idea of who's better. Stammer has the injury history though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
that hes a bad defensive forward or that hes overrated in that category?

i think he will be well insulated so it will be hard to tell tbh, hes had up and down seasons in that regard with the isles in the past, but he should be better then bozak(just comparing past and current leafs center here) and as good as kadri more or less, but below matthews imo.

That he's overrated defensively. I know I'm not going to convince any Leaf fan of this, so that's why I'm saying just wait until you see him 82 games a year for yourself. But he's not this good defensive player that a lot of fans seem to think he is. He's good at takeaways and faceoffs, but that's about it from a defensive perspective. He misses coverage in the defensive zone quite a lot, and I think you'll see that for yourself this season.

Note: I'm not even saying Stamkos is better than him defensively or whatever. I'm simply saying neither are anything special that one should be considered having a big edge over the other in terms of their defensive play.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Why would we ignore 128 million dollars? In a hard cap world you could definitely argue that what a player makes is as important or even more important than the production they achieve.

That being said, even with contracts, this is Tavares for me and it's not particularly close.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
LMFAO have you no seen the bump Stamkos numbers got with Kucherov and MSL? Tavares has been ppg without wingers anywhere near that caliber.

The post was about leading the team in scoring, not about increased point totals. Tavares wouldn't lead the team in scoring in any team a prime MSL is on sorry.

I personally said I think both players are equal. I don't know about you.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That he's overrated defensively. I know I'm not going to convince any Leaf fan of this, so that's why I'm saying just wait until you see him 82 games a year for yourself. But he's not this good defensive player that a lot of fans seem to think he is. He's good at takeaways and faceoffs, but that's about it from a defensive perspective. He misses coverage in the defensive zone quite a lot, and I think you'll see that for yourself this season.

Note: I'm not even saying Stamkos is better than him defensively or whatever. I'm simply saying neither are anything special that one should be considered having a big edge over the other in terms of their defensive play.

Where would you rank his defensive ability versus Malkin's?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where would you rank his defensive ability versus Malkin's?

Probably about equal, by and large. They have different issues defensively, though.

Malkin has a tendency to "loop around" the defensive zone, so he'll miss assignments or be out of position because instead of stopping where he's supposed to be, he'll force the puck carrier, but keep his momentum going forward for a quick turnover/break. Malkin's big problem is he'll leave the slot open because instead of starting and stopping, he'll do a flyby.

Tavares, in the meantime, almost has the opposite issue. He tends to puck watch and will stand around, not recognizing right away that his man has moved and is in a dangerous position, and will have to react late to that rather than being in position all along. Tavares is okay when his man is the puck carrier and he's trying to defend one on one, but he has issues with picking up his man when his man isn't the puck carrier.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The post was about leading the team in scoring, not about increased point totals. Tavares wouldn't lead the team in scoring in any team a prime MSL is on sorry.

I personally said I think both players are equal. I don't know about you.
I think Stamkos is trending down but peak vs peak I'd give the edge to Stamkos with the numbers he put up but that was with MSL and he's not that player anymore. Going forward however I take Tavares, he's been a ppg 1C for pretty much his entire career with sub par wingers. Playing with the best linemate he's ever had in Marner and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be around 90 points.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
In terms of what has actually happened, I think it’s Stamkos. I don’t think Tavares lived up to his expectations, but you have to give him credit for putting up the numbers he has without the same talent around him that Stamkos has had.

So, I’d say Stamkos, but tentatively. I’m really curious to see if Tavares can thrive in Toronto with more talent around him and less weight over him. I think some players excel when they carry the weight of the team. Tavares might be that guy, or he may go to Toronto and hit another level. Neither would surprise me.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In terms of what has actually happened, I think it’s Stamkos. I don’t think Tavares lived up to his expectations, but you have to give him credit for putting up the numbers he has without the same talent around him that Stamkos has had.

So, I’d say Stamkos, but tentatively. I’m really curious to see if Tavares can thrive in Toronto with more talent around him and less weight over him. I think some players excel when they carry the weight of the team. Tavares might be that guy, or he may go to Toronto and hit another level. Neither would surprise me.

Are you referring to his expectations from the very start of his NHL career?

He definitely didn't live up to that. He was extremely hyped.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Are you referring to his expectations from the very start of his NHL career?

He definitely didn't live up to that. He was extremely hyped.

Mostly, but I also really felt that there was more there. So, part of it is my own expectations. I feel like he teases you a bit that he can be a 90-point guy, and not just for one season, but then he'll follow up a PPG season with a less impressive one.

Some seasons I feel like he's a top 10 center, and other seasons I think he's outside that top 10. That's basically it. That's why I could see him going to Toronto and hitting another level, because I keep waiting for it. It just also wouldn't surprise me if that didn't happen, because you can usually expect a player to do what they've consistently done. It's not like he isn't a great player anyway, but I really feel like he can be even better, you know?

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I really think this, more than anything production related, is going to be the biggest surprise to Leaf fans when they watch Tavares every game this year.
I think Leaf fans know exactly what they are getting in Tavaras. Your not the only one that had the ability to watch him play.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mostly, but I also really felt that there was more there. So, part of it is my own expectations. I feel like he teases you a bit that he can be a 90-point guy, and not just for one season, but then he'll follow up a PPG season with a less impressive one.

Some seasons I feel like he's a top 10 center, and other seasons I think he's outside that top 10. That's basically it. That's why I could see him going to Toronto and hitting another level, because I keep waiting for it. It just also wouldn't surprise me if that didn't happen, because you can usually expect a player to do what they've consistently done. It's not like he isn't a great player anyway, but I really feel like he can be even better, you know?
I know that Tavares has not had team success but it's not his fault that Garth Snow couldn't put a team together during his time with the Islanders, where as Stamkos has played in a Stanley Cup Final in 2015 and Conference Final appearances in 2011, 2016 and 2018. I also know Tavares has not won any major awards yet, however it was not his fault Jamie Benn won the Art Ross by 1 point over him. Still since he has been a finalist for the Hart Trophy I can not see why that can not happen again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad