Steven Stamkos versus John Tavares

Who do you take?

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The guy with almost 100 more goals and more points in fewer games. Easy choice. Stamkos will get back to 40 goal territory.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I take Stamkos easily.
But when they were 18 I take Tavares.
I think Stamkos had more help growing into the league and it was much better for his development.
I really thought that Tavares was supposed to be the next generational player to challenge Crosby and Ovechkin for MVP trophies at the end of every year but it didn't pan out that way.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Tavares, he didnt have half the line mates stamkos did, stamkos only led his team in scoring 3 times his whole career

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
tavares has been the better player lately so him.

Stamkos was better this year and the previous 2 seasons Tavares was good but nothing special. You can argue there was a period of 2-3 years before that Tavares was better then Stamkos though

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ignoring contract I probably take Tavares, Stamkos recent injury problems would give me a little fear. Factoring in contract though Stamkos is a better bang for the buck

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Stamkos was better this year and the previous 2 seasons Tavares was good but nothing special. You can argue there was a period of 2-3 years before that Tavares was better then Stamkos though
There scoring is almost the same the last few years, Stamkos is a on an elite team with elite linemates and could barely muster up more points. Not to mention hes a defensive liability unlike Tavares.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for Tavares. Now before anyone says I did because I'm a Leafs fan, part of my reason was that I honestly think he was a better fit for them and why I was not disappointed when Stamkos choose to re-sign with Tampa Bay in June 2016.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There scoring is almost the same the last few years, Stamkos is a on an elite team with elite linemates and could barely muster up more points. Not to mention hes a defensive liability unlike Tavares.

I really think this, more than anything production related, is going to be the biggest surprise to Leaf fans when they watch Tavares every game this year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I really think this, more than anything production related, is going to be the biggest surprise to Leaf fans when they watch Tavares every game this year.
that hes a bad defensive forward or that hes overrated in that category?

i think he will be well insulated so it will be hard to tell tbh, hes had up and down seasons in that regard with the isles in the past, but he should be better then bozak(just comparing past and current leafs center here) and as good as kadri more or less, but below matthews imo.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Both are the worst defensively of all #1 Centers. Seguin was in that trio too (perhaps at the bottom...) until his 2 way improvements last season

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
this is a good one IPS.

I'm a huge Stamkos supporter but TBH he usually had good players with him and still has an elite player with him.

Tavares is a better all around player but needs to stay motivated.

I think I'd go JT.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tavares, he didnt have half the line mates stamkos did, stamkos only led his team in scoring 3 times his whole career

If Tavares is on a team with MSL, then he isn't going to lead the team in scoring either. MSL was a point producing machine. Kucherov has also been nuts the past two seasons...doubt Tavares would have broken 100.

I'd say they are pretty even though, I can't really decide on who to vote for so I won't.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'm guessing this is going forward?

I would take Tavares by a little bit.

But Stamkos at his peak (2010-14) was outstanding and better than Tavares.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think Stamkos' injuries has robbed him of his best years. He's still damned good but before, he was a top 5 player.
So I will take Tavares.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Edge to JT.

If you think about it, they’re two franchise centres with totally opposite luck.

Stamkos has gotten to play St.Louis, Lecavalier, Kucherov, Hedman etc, Tavares on the other hand? Better we don’t ask.

What were the Islanders doing with Tavares’ time? Especially when he signed for one of the best contracts in the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad