Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was an interesting case last year because he still produced at a decent level but could tell a lot of things were getting progressively worse as the season wore on. Definitely has taken a toll over the years with injuries. But if you look back to early in the season this year and last year he looked real good early on and then just tapered off as season went on.

In playoffs he was definitely banged up in finals and could tell just wasnt same guy. He still did a good job defensively and remained a threat on the pp. Still a valuable guy to have on this team, I just wonder how the body is gonna hold up.

Outside of the last 25~ games, he's been a top-10/15 center over the last 2.5 years. He was clearly banged up. Health is definitely going to be an issue with him going forward but he still has a high upside for his caphit. If 18 points in 23 playoff games is a low then we're absolutely fine.

He was also playing with 2 guys who have little playmaking ability, dozens of times he was able to get open but his lineamtes couldn't see the lane. If anything this playoffs, I've noticed how high his offensive IQ actually is. He should be playing with Point and Kucherov if you want to maximize his skillset, he can play dump and chase with Killorn and Cirelli but you're just wasting talent at that point.

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He was an interesting case last year because he still produced at a decent level but could tell a lot of things were getting progressively worse as the season wore on.

If by "progressively worse" you mean he got injured and missed the last month of the regular season, then yes you're remembering it accurately.

The man is now pretty much made of glass, and his core is always one ripper of a slapshot away from giving out. It will be forever thus, but as long as he can hold it together -- until that glass breaks in a given season -- he's still a top forward in this league.

And even hurt (as he was all playoffs) he's still critical to our insanely effective power play. But we're never getting 2011 Stamkos back. Heck, we're never getting 2019 Stamkos back.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If by "progressively worse" you mean he got injured and missed the last month of the regular season, then yes you're remembering it accurately.

The man is now pretty much made of glass, and his core is always one ripper of a slapshot away from giving out. It will be forever thus, but as long as he can hold it together -- until that glass breaks in a given season -- he's still a top forward in this league.

And even hurt (as he was all playoffs) he's still critical to our insanely effective power play. But we're never getting 2011 Stamkos back. Heck, we're never getting 2019 Stamkos back.

Yea you are right he was injured the last month or so of the season but I was more meaning the playoffs and should have said playoffs. He wasn't on the injury report at the end but you could tell the injuries took a toll on him. Also like Sky said the players he played with aren't ones who are best able to take advantage of his skill set. Put him up with Kuch and Point and he probably is producing a bunch more than currently is. He is still a weapon to score goals and that will always have a lot of value in the game. I just wonder how he will hold up with all the injuries he's had.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yea you are right he was injured the last month or so of the season but I was more meaning the playoffs and should have said playoffs. He wasn't on the injury report at the end but you could tell the injuries took a toll on him. Also like Sky said the players he played with aren't ones who are best able to take advantage of his skill set. Put him up with Kuch and Point and he probably is producing a bunch more than currently is. He is still a weapon to score goals and that will always have a lot of value in the game. I just wonder how he will hold up with all the injuries he's had.
Stamkos needs a set up man, the two best set up guys we got are Point and Kuch. Cirelli is great but better served in a shut down role as opposed to a scoring role. I like Killer in either role, tbh. I wouldn't be opposed to

Stamkos - Point - Kuch
Palat - Cirelli - Killorn (we've seen this shut down line work well before).

Then we have to hope we get some depth scoring from the kids with all our "big" weapons on the 1st line.

Edit: Also our PP should be able to carry us one quite a few nights as well

Reactions: CupsOverCash

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

A little less than a month after selling his previous Davis Islands estate for $16 million, Tampa Bay Lightning captain Steven Stamkos has purchased another waterfront mansion less than two miles away for $8.35 million.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Is it just me or is weird they gave out his new address :laugh: maybe fans in Tampa aren't crazies and will leave him in peace.

We only ask that you leave the waterways clear for the team to ride their jet skis to Amalie.:D

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
15fz8tcsw5p71.jpg

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's fine when healthy, problem is how long he stays that way, the quite a drop off from his start of play last year and right before he went on LTIR

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Some details about a knee.

This is one of those things that sounds good in training camp and pre-season, and sure we all hope things play out this wonderfully for him this season, both for his sake and also our own selfish sakes, but there's just no reason at all to rationally expect that Stammer can make it through an 82-game season (even if he gets some "body maintenance" scratches in there, especially on back-to-backs) and be on top of his health come the playoffs. These aren't problems that magically get better the further you go into your 30s.

Reactions: The Macho King

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
On the plus side, you know Stamkos is coming back with an Olympic effort. Health permitting, I expect him to be one of our best players out of the gate. He has to believe this is his last chance if that chance hasn't already passed him by.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I honestly hope we go full NBA with body maintenance days. Like every b2b scratch Hedman-Stamkos-Kucherov-Point-Vasi and just play some depth (obviously cap is going to make that hard but do the best we can).

This team has played a shit load of hockey, and the Olympics are going to compress the schedule even more. No reason to risk injury on a Thursday game against the Senators.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I honestly hope we go full NBA with body maintenance days. Like every b2b scratch Hedman-Stamkos-Kucherov-Point-Vasi and just play some depth (obviously cap is going to make that hard but do the best we can).

This team has played a shit load of hockey, and the Olympics are going to compress the schedule even more. No reason to risk injury on a Thursday game against the Senators.

It's quite a thought to imagine how run down they'd be were it not for shortened seasons too. It's amazing to think they've played all that hockey and yet it still came without a full schedule.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
It's quite a thought to imagine how run down they'd be were it not for shortened seasons too. It's amazing to think they've played all that hockey and yet it still came without a full schedule.

Between August 1, 2020 and July 7, 2021, they played 104 games, 45 of which were playoff games. Not really sure the "shortened season" component even matters in this context, that's an absolute monster of a schedule to play in less than one full calendar year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Between August 1, 2020 and July 7, 2021, they played 104 games, 45 of which were playoff games. Not really sure the "shortened season" component even matters in this context, that's an absolute monster of a schedule to play in less than one full calendar year.

While true, keep in mind a regular season and Cup playoff run is approximately the same number of games in 8 months. Without COVID we'd have done it twice coming into the season. It comes down to how much impact those 2 playoff runs had despite less games. But phrasing it and how we think of it aside, it's not impossible we have just a tiny extra bit of tread on the tires thanks to the suspended 2019-2020 season that allowed us almost an extra offseason of rest

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm all for giving guys the "rest / body maintenance days" specially Stamkos. While he's not out best playoff performer, keeping him as rested as possible in the closing month or two of the season, along with Vasi and Hedman is something to consider.

We showed we don't need home ice advantage, while nice, not a priority risking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad