Player Discussion Steven Kampfer

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Never knew this. Sounds like his sister is a good source of perspective for him

'She’s tougher than anyone in this room': Why Steven...

Kristin Kampfer, 32, is two years older than her brother. Born with congenital heart disease, she’s been a lifelong inspiration for Steven, and serves as his source of motivation.
“She’s tougher than anyone in this room,” Kampfer said. “I’d put my sister up there as one of the toughest people I have ever met.”
Kristin has had 29 major surgeries in her life. It all started with open-heart surgery only a few days after she was born. At 16, she had titanium rods inserted into her back because of Scoliosis. The procedure took 10 hours. The rods extend the entire length of her spine and she was in a back brace for six months.
That brought tears to my eyes.

Reactions: Strafer

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Kampfer earned another NHL contract with his play this year, either with Boston or another team. He came in and held the fort when needed and depth is never a bad thing, especially since we don't know how the defence is going to shake out this summer.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Mentioned this in another thread, but you need a 7th defenseman that doesn't need consistent ice time, but can play in a pinch. You can also bury his cap hit in the AHL. I'd assume that other teams wouldn't claim him if you put him on waivers, but maybe they would? He's not good enough to worry about that anyway, so not exactly a concern.

Edit: I'll add that league minimum would have been better, but I believe that's only $700k, so the extra $100k probably won't make a huge difference.

Reactions: 00BW

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He wasn't bad. More or less league minimum for a reliable #7 that you can sit whenever you want is more than fine by me.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Hes done nothing but play pretty well when his number was called. Closest we came to tying up G5 was his one timer. Hardly a bad thing that he got leapfrogged by a younger player in Clifton. Everyone else is a LD. We probably win the Cup if we tell Chara the can't play with a broken jaw. The team we saw G4 of Carolina series without slow motion Chara was the best I've seen the team ever look.

Won't be shocked if we lose him to waivers at some point but there is no cap penalty to him being sent to Providence. He probably could have earned a little bit more somewhere else next year but we gave him the second year and that was enough.

Reactions: Aeroforce

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
800k means the whole thing can be sent to the minors and wiped off the cap if need be. 2 years means most likely if they wanted to send him down this year, most likely another team wouldn’t pick him up off waivers knowing there is another year on the deal. If Miller is traded they have no right shot depth. Signing is fine. Doesn’t screw anything up. Just depth. Which was a blessing last year.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Think its a good signing. You don’t want Vaak/Lauzon sitting in the press box.

Edit: and we’re short on RHD since Miller is injured.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
For the price I imagine he is a fine option as a #7/8 and I cannot imagine he is claimed on waivers if they send him to Providence.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'd prefer year-to-year, but...considering he may only be playing one year anyway if the CBA goes south, I can live with this. It's cheap, it's short, and he's not terrible, so it can't be all that bad of a mistake.

Are there significantly better options for depth defensemen out there? Probably not. We'll be pretty banged up on defense even starting the year - Chara, Miller, Grzelcyk, and Moore all ended the season injured, off the top of my head, with McAvoy and (ironically) Carlo being relatively unscathed, I think. Even if they have the (abbreviated) summer to heal, that's a lot of bruised defensemen, and Kampfer didn't really make me want to throw my remote at the TV too often.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Nothing to be concerned about with signing. Emergency 7th/8th D , contract you can bury in Prov, can help out in a pinch, win,win win.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Great decision. Sits in press box when 7 guys ahead are healthy, able to step in and play decently in a pinch. Can easily be traded or sent to Providence if he becomes unnecessary. No downside to this deal.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Umm...thanks Steve. I thought his play in the regular season, and certainly in the playoffs, earned him a #6 job somewhere...and that appears so...but he’d rather stay in Boston as the emergency pro D.

Always nice to hear when a player shows they really want to be here.

I’d personally rather move forward with a Lauzon, or something, if need be...but for that money, I can’t argue against bringing back a guy that showed he can succeed in this system at the highest level. Not going to find a better emergency D, I suppose.

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
No issue here.

Perfect 7th D for them, and with the uncertainty surrounding Moore and Miller in regards to their injuries, Moore especially, they needed to make a move like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad