Confirmed with Link: Steve Staios Hired as POHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion fired when we get a new owner....

Dorion fired when when new owner gets the keys...

Dorion fired as soon as Staios comes in....

Dorion fired by mid-season...

What is the next prediction?

My next prediction is you’ll feel sad when Dorion is fired.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I still think Jason Spezza would make a good GM here - trust of the fanbase, local, OHL, super bright, excellent business man and he’s mentored with a respected Exec who’s forward thinking
Bowness has way more experience and he isnt even ready. I do hope/think Bowness stays on no matter what happens here. Having his continuity will be good to bridge to the new regime while having familiarity with what is already around that works.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
disagree with the season starting

same reason why sens wont disrupt their gm yet
In my opinion that wrong. I don’t think they wouldn’t prevent him getting a promotion.

The Sens aren’t interviewing for a GM right now because the owner chose not to fire the GM, and the guy who could fire him was just hired.

As I posited earlier, this seems like the start of a professional ownership situation, and part of that is you don’t fire people when the team is on the rise just because some fans wish it was so.

No, you take the time to evaluate and see what needs support, what needs creating, and what needs removing.

If they wanted to remove Dorion immediately they could have, and Darche would be available to interview.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
In my opinion that wrong. I don’t think they wouldn’t prevent him getting a promotion.

The Sens aren’t interviewing for a GM right now because the owner chose not to fire the GM, and the guy who could fire him was just hired.

As I posited earlier, this seems like the start of a professional ownership situation, and part of that is you don’t fire people when the team is on the rise just because some fans wish it was so.

No, you take the time to evaluate and see what needs support, what needs creating, and what needs removing.

If they wanted to remove Dorion immediately they could have, and Darche would be available to interview.
If Andlauer came in and fired PD right away, it would be the sign of another unstable owner. Andlauer is very professional. He knows what is what already. He brought in his POHO.

Pierre will be around for a while.

Pierre Dorion signed a contract extension as general manager of the Ottawa Senators through the 2024-25 season on Tuesday.

It will begin next season, with Ottawa holding an option for 2025-26.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You read the boards for the last few years and it's people talking about how the organization has always prioritized players with connections to DJ and his coaching staff. And you hear about how they promoted in-house after Murray stepped down and why these things are not good because they didn't go out and get the best people for the front office and on the ice. That they didn't spend in the right places and instead ran on a shoestring budget.

Then you come in here and now the same posters are thrilled that the new owner started off his tenure by hiring a close connection with very limited NHL executive experience.

I don't know if Staios will be good or bad at his role but it's honestly confounding how those same people can talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You read the boards for the last few years and it's people talking about how the organization has always prioritized players with connections to DJ and his coaching staff. And you hear about how they promoted in-house after Murray stepped down and why these things are not good because they didn't go out and get the best people for the front office and on the ice. That they didn't spend in the right places and instead ran on a shoestring budget.

Then you come in here and now the same posters are thrilled that the new owner started off his tenure by hiring a close connection with very limited NHL executive experience.

I don't know if Staios will be good or bad at his role but it's honestly confounding how those same people can talk out of both sides of their mouth.
It’s almost like clamouring for ‘accountability’ while at the same time never being accountable for what one posts. Ha!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Unlike sens execs, Staios has worked in numerous NHL organizations. Of course he has a connection with the owner and is one of his boys but this isn’t the same thing as bringing Dave Cameron, and Pierre McGuire into the organization.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Unlike sens execs, Staios has worked in numerous NHL organizations. Of course he has a connection with the owner and is one of his boys but this isn’t the same thing as bringing Dave Cameron, and Pierre McGuire into the organization.
He was a Player Development Advisor for the Leafs for 2 years. Became Manager of Player Development in December 2014 before moving behind the bench in January 2015, after the Leafs fired Carlyle. Then he joined the Edmonton Oilers on October 6, 2022, as a special advisor to the club's hockey operations staff, before leaving in August 2023.

No senior executive experience and you couldn't describe working for 2 organizations as "numerous".

Again, I don't know whether he'll be good or bad at the job but what has he done except be close with the owner to merit this position?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Really? lol

1696253410752.jpeg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was a Player Development Advisor for the Leafs for 2 years. Became Manager of Player Development in December 2014 before moving behind the bench in January 2015, after the Leafs fired Carlyle. Then he joined the Edmonton Oilers on October 6, 2022, as a special advisor to the club's hockey operations staff, before leaving in August 2023.

No senior executive experience and you couldn't describe working for 2 organizations as "numerous".

Again, I don't know whether he'll be good or bad at the job but what has he done except be close with the owner to merit this position?
He was pretty well regarded around the league, and while I get you were focusing on NHL experience, he was President and GM of the bulldogs from 2016-22 winning two championships there in 6 seasons.

It's not the same as when Melnyk hired Muckler, a guy with an extensive NHL resume, but it is a hire that some team was going to make eventually (not as POHO specifically, but in some management capacity).

I don't think it's fair to suggest this is purely a nepotism hire, nor is it fair to suggest Staios is the most experienced guy available, but he was rumoured to be next in line in Edmonton behind Holland, a position they'd been grooming him for. He's certainly put in the hours to garner the respect he has around the league.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He was pretty well regarded around the league, and while I get you were focusing on NHL experience, he was President and GM of the bulldogs from 2016-22 winning two championships there in 6 seasons.

It's not the same as when Melnyk hired Muckler, a guy with an extensive NHL resume, but it is a hire that some team was going to make eventually (not as POHO specifically, but in some management capacity).

I don't think it's fair to suggest this is purely a nepotism hire, nor is it fair to suggest Staios is the most experienced guy available, but he was rumoured to be next in line in Edmonton behind Holland, a position they'd been grooming him for. He's certainly put in the hours to garner the respect he has around the league.
Sure, eventually. As in, once he's accrued enough experience in senior management and executive leadership roles.

Running an OHL team, as credible as that experience is, is nowhere close to what running a billion dollar professional sports organization entails.

I don't understand a fanbase that spent years bemoaning inexperienced hires but is now happy to embrace exactly the same thing because, what, the packaging is different? The person who did it is different?

It went from "we need an experienced person at the top, a name with a great reputation" to "yay, we hired someone!" in like a microsecond.

I'm only pointing out the flaming hypocrisy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
For all the talk of players & managers not wanting to come to Ottawa it's interesting to see Ottawa poaching somone else's talent. Of course, the ties to Andlauer are obvious, but over the summer they have signed Tarasenko a superstar in the NHL, got a pretty decent shooter in Kubalik, signed Korpisalo & signed Sanderson long term. Not a bad off season so far.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

If he was GM i would want him with more experience. But POHO is a different type of job. He is not making day to day roster decisions or even the point guy talking to other teams. He is the conduit between ownership, fans and GMs. Andlauer would want someone who he can work hand in hand with who he also trusts will be an extension of him in the organization.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, eventually. As in, once he's accrued enough experience in senior management and executive leadership roles.

Running an OHL team, as credible as that experience is, is nowhere close to what running a billion dollar professional sports organization entails.

I don't understand a fanbase that spent years bemoaning inexperienced hires but is now happy to embrace exactly the same thing because, what, the packaging is different? The person who did it is different?

It went from "we need an experienced person at the top, a name with a great reputation" to "yay, we hired someone!" in like a microsecond.

I'm only pointing out the flaming hypocrisy.
Well Ken Holland's contract ends after this season and he's apparently contemplating retirement, that's why the Oilers were grooming Staois.

He isn't the only guy that gets talked about as a potential exec outside of the NHL, Weekes name comes up, Trevor Georgie of St John's, Ryan Hardy and Ryan Johnson are guys with similar or in some cases less experience .

I think you're under appreciating the value NHL teams put on CHL exec experience and past player experience, a guy like Gilles went from player agent to GM, Hughes had to be courted despite no NHL exec time, Dubas rapidly rose up from the SOO to being GM of one of the biggest and profitable franchises in the league, these guys have traferable skills and NHL teams know it's about having the skillset, not where you demonstrate having the skillset.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
What types of enhancements and additions would fans like to see to this front office ?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
What types of enhancements and additions would fans like to see to this front office ?
I guess it depends on exactly how much Andlauer is willing to spend, but when you look around at the front office structures of other teams it's not hard to see how understaffed the Sens are.

They are short at least 1 assistant GM, they don't have any senior advisors, they don't have a director of player development, no director of player personnel, no goaltending development coach, they are understaffed on the scouting side including currently not having a chief amateur scout, they have a director of analytics but no staff for him to direct.

Conservatively I would say they are about a dozen employees short of an average front office.

Reactions: redbrick98

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would like to see us hire a GM and Give Alfie a Sr VP / Development/Advisor role
I'd also like to see our scouting staff expanded starting with a Chief Amateur scout , an expansion across Europe and a couple additions in NA

Reactions: redbrick98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad