Confirmed with Link: Steve Staios Hired as POHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If after 8 years of diligently doing my job, thinking things were going so well, my new boss came in and said that there was “still a tremendous amount of work to do” to get things up to their standards, I’d be embarrassed.

I believe those references were to the state of the organizational structure.

That has nothing to do with Dorion. Melnyk was allegedly responsible for the Senators having what has been described as the thinnest front office staff in the entire league.

I think that Dorion is a dead man walking, but I don't think those comments are aimed at him. It is difficult to determine how Andlauer feels about Dorion, because there was no way to fire him with the timing of the ownership change - but as an amateur body language expert (I have torrented 2 books on the topic) that press conference was wild.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I watched the presser again and there was a point where Andlauer is saying that Steve will have the respect of agents and lawyers etc. and "his fellow GMs". Second hand cringe here for Pierre. Lol.

I think the context of that is that for anybody who doesn't spend obsessive amounts of time on hockey message boards, Steve Staios is an unknown. Some people old enough might remember him from his playing days, but this isn't a scenario where a 20 year veteran GM is coming here. He was managing possible criticism about his experience level.

I don't blame people for getting confused because the nature of the press conference. It was 30 minutes of Dorion akwardly cycling through his facial expressions because he couldn't figure out which one would make him look the least uncomfortable. All the while it was made even harder for Dorion because Andlauer and Staios spent 30 minutes outlining that they both made matching vision boards predicting Andlauer would buy an NHL team and hire Staios.

With that said, I don't think this is Mean Girls. Andlauer wasn't taking shots at Dorion.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think the context of that is that for anybody who doesn't spend obsessive amounts of time on hockey message boards, Steve Staios is an unknown. Some people old enough might remember him from his playing days, but this isn't a scenario where a 20 year veteran GM is coming here. He was managing possible criticism about his experience level.

I don't blame people for getting confused because the nature of the press conference. It was 30 minutes of Dorion akwardly cycling through his facial expressions because he couldn't figure out which one would make him look the least uncomfortable. All the while it was made even harder for Dorion because Andlauer and Staios spent 30 minutes outlining that they both made matching vision boards predicting Andlauer would buy an NHL team and hire Staios.

With that said, I don't think this is Mean Girls. Andlauer wasn't taking shots at Dorion.
He’s definitely the third wheel right now and likely feeling all the feels that come with that.

It’s too early to tell if the move is to squeeze him out or if there is a legitimate desire to bring Dorion into the team so he’s likely doing what most people would do which is to put his head down and bury himself in his job.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

I didn’t think he was taking shots, I thought it was a Freudian slip. Staios doesn’t have “fellow GMs”. That’s supposed to be Pierre.

Reactions: Icelevel

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's a politicians answer if I ever saw one.

I think clearly, even if Andlauer acquired the team in May, that Pierre Dorion would still be exactly where he is today. He's getting the chance he earned. The idea that he f***ing lucked his way into another year of employment is outright insulting tbh haha.

Some people didn't think he earned that chance. Some people did. It's funny because we are literally denying that even happened now ffs....
If Andlauer took over in may with the season we just had then Dorion is probably gone

Don't think Dorion is lasting even with a decent season. It will be hard to find candidates right now...even if they want say Darche i doubt tampa is giving us permission at this point in the season

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Andlauer took over in may with the season we just had then Dorion is probably gone

Don't think Dorion is lasting even with a decent season. It will be hard to find candidates right now...even if they want say Darche i doubt tampa is giving us permission at this point in the season
I think Tampa would let him interview for a promotion no matter what time of year it was.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I still think Jason Spezza would make a good GM here - trust of the fanbase, local, OHL, super bright, excellent business man and he’s mentored with a respected Exec who’s forward thinking

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Dorion fired when we get a new owner....

Dorion fired when when new owner gets the keys...

Dorion fired as soon as Staios comes in....

Dorion fired by mid-season...

What is the next prediction?

I’m all onboard the fire Dorion train and have been for years. Pretty much since the Zibanejad move which might have been his first trade lol..

I’m at least happy he’s being held accountable now by other smart execs.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If after 8 years of diligently doing my job, thinking things were going so well, my new boss came in and said that there was “still a tremendous amount of work to do” to get things up to their standards, I’d be embarrassed.

How awkward would it be to sit up there while the guy who’s in charge of your paycheque implies, over and over again, that the org you were running is not yet close to being “best in class”. After 8 years of work! Yikes, you gotta feel for Pierre.
I'd be embarrassed if I thought Dorion believes he's built a best in class organization

The Senators have run a skeleton operation for years. That's common knowledge across the league. There was even talk about the NHL stepping in to force Melnyk to strengthen the organization

It's been a bare bones operation. I'm quite certain that Dorion is well aware of that.

Reactions: DrEasy and Flamingo

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If after 8 years of diligently doing my job, my new boss came in and said that there was “still a tremendous amount of work to do” to get things up to their standards, I’d be embarrassed.
A bit pissed too, no? Doing everything yourself and dealing with a crazy boss. I’d probably be a bit like, f u I’d like to see you do any better.

he gets fired once andlauer and staios are settled in, comfortable and see what needs to be done and who else is out there to replace him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Well, he either gets fired or dies on the job.

I'm going with he eventually gets fired

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In sports every GM is hired to fire eventually, it may explain why Dorion finally got an agent to represent him. However, it ain't over until it's over & he is still the GM until he's not & if they get off to a good start which I think they will that could postpone PD's fate here. The first thing he needs to do is get out of this cap mess which I think they have a plan to do & sign Pinto as soon as they do make cap room. I think Andlauer is filling positions that were vacant for so long due to Melnyk's financial mess but there is also something to be said for hiring the right people & running a tight lean ship where everyone knows their job & does it efficiently. Too many people can also be confusing, they don't need to all be yes men but have a similar idea on how to build a winning team. IMO they have most of the pieces now.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'm just going to watch the games and let the Dorion situation evolve in whichever direction it takes ultimately. Nothing I can do about it anyhow, and there's not much that can be added that hasn't been said already. Best to enjoy the season and the diversion known as hockey.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1696181142384.png

Dorion working hard to sign Pinto just upped his offer to $1,000,000.05
He is also trying to decide on the wallpaper of the exec Andlauer presser or the Staios presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad