Steve Ott

RR10*

Wow I can't believe some of you want Ott to sign. He's crap, I rank our forth liners higher.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I wouldn't be surprised if Ott went back to Buffalo. They need players who can play in the NHL right now. And he would be their Captain again. Then again, he could stay if his contract is reasonable.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow I can't believe some of you want Ott to sign. He's crap, I rank our forth liners higher.
Well you're wrong. Lapierre, Reaves, Porter, Cracknell, etc. are solid 4th-liners but none of them are better players than Steve Ott.

RR10*

Well you're wrong. Lapierre, Reaves, Porter, Cracknell, etc. are solid 4th-liners but none of them are better players than Steve Ott.
Well you are wrong. I think all of them are better except Reaves. If you look at their salaries compared to Otts and what they bring to the team.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Well you are wrong. I think all of them are better except Reaves. If you look at their salaries compared to Otts and what they bring to the team.

I have proof none of them are better.
Teams have traded for Ott. Porter and Cracknell actually passed through waivers.

I will admit though that playoff Lapierre is pretty superior to Ott.

Not that I think signing him is a particularly good idea.

RR10*

Teams have traded for Ott. Porter and Cracknell actually passed through waivers.

I will admit though that playoff Lapierre is pretty superior to Ott.

Not that I think signing him is a particularly good idea.
But seriously, what does Ott bring to the Blues? Nothing. He's just another meh player that we dont need and he aint cheap for being useless. Our forth liners are much cheaper and have a good fit on the team. Ott ****ed up our third line.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So you're arguing they are cheaper, not better.

Porter and Cracknell, two players that are almost AHL players, are better than Steve Ott? Nope.

The only one you can make a case for is Lapierre.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So you're arguing they are cheaper, not better.

Porter and Cracknell, two players that are almost AHL players, are better than Steve Ott? Nope.

The only one you can make a case for is Lapierre.

Cheaper is a factor when considering who is better in a league with a salary cap on a smaller-market team. I'd love to field a team with Weber, Suter, Crosby, Parise, and Ovechkin. Granted, that would be the entire team as they would take all but $4million of the complete cap.

Plus the poster you quoted also said " for what they bring to the team" which you conveniently ignored. Ott would be a great 4th liner for Cracknell's $600k price. When we are talking $3 million, that is expensive for a guy who didn't score a goal and was spotty defensively. Lapierre who you said might be better made $1.1 million, only slightly more than 1/3 of Ott's salary. I'd rather put that extra money toward a guy who can help the team do what they are weakest at, which is score, and let our cheap 4th liners get in people's heads.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Well in the case of the Blues, I think he was a throw in. I doubt the Blues asked for him. "Hey Buffallo, we need another past-his-prime mucker who can't score but will 'get in the other team's head' whatever that means. We only have 4 other guys like that...Great, and he's is paid 3 times what a better guy on our team who does the same thing makes as well?...super, we'll take him...I guess we can take Miller too if we have to." More than likely Buffalo had to clear a roster spot for Stewart so they made us take him.

The first time he was traded it was coincidentally for Roy. Seeing how he played for us, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that both teams were just trying to get rid of their guy, not necessarily acquire anyone else :sarcasm:

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What I think some people are failing to understand is you need gritty hard-nose agitators in the playoffs. Every recent Stanley Cup winning team has them and they play a role.

I'd say re-sign him.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What I think some people are failing to understand is you need gritty hard-nose agitators in the playoffs. Every recent Stanley Cup winning team has them and they play a role.

I'd say re-sign him.

Ott's playoff history is not flattering at all. We have checkers and agitators already and can get the same thing elsewhere for cheaper.

RR10*

I'd say re-sign him.
We have Backes, Lapierre and Reaves - more than enough. Who does Chicago have btw?

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

I'd say re-sign him.

He's a liability defensively. I personally would prefer Reaves playing over Ott everyday in an agitator role.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We have Backes, Lapierre and Reaves - more than enough. Who does Chicago have btw?

I would put Shaw and Bickle in the category. Certainly better than our agitators but that's part of the reason they play past the first round every year.

I just thought Ott had a fairly decent playoffs. But I won't lose sleep if we don't re-sign him obviously.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
He's a liability defensively. I personally would prefer Reaves playing over Ott everyday in an agitator role.
The Reaves from this past playoffs?

Because that one was barely more effective than Lou Reed on ice.

Frankly, unless Reaves was injured or was told to calm down, his performance, effort and results were lacking.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
If we sign a top six center, there is no reason to keep Ott.

Sobotka is a better version of Ott who is currently locked in a center role on this team. By getting a top six center we can have FA, Backes, Berglund, Lapierre down the middle, freeing up Sobotka for that Swiss Army knife utility role up and down the line-up.

Invest the money in a center, and in scoring.

PuffAdder

May 4, 2014
Normal IL
I wouldn't be opposed to the Blues resigning Ott, but it's not something I really want either. If they limit him to the lower lines and don't pay too much for him, that'd be okay with me.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Agreed, whenever I advocate re-signing him I mean for the right price, in a bottom 6 role.

I'm sure he'll get overpaid somewhere though.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
In other news, Ott is about to pass up Oshie, Berglund, and Stasny in points.

He plays hard, fast, and I actually notice him on the ice for the few minutes he gets to play.

RR10*

I don't like what we pay him but he has grown on me lately. He still needs to go and is easy to replace. Always thought that fourth liners should come from your own organisation and paid cheap, so you can spend more money on key players.

Cracknell - Porter - Reaves > Ott - Lapierre - Reaves

Cracknell - Porter - Reaves = $2,425 mill.
Ott - Lapierre - Reaves = $4,925 mill.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I absolutely disagree. The cpr line was pure energy and while entertaining, it didn't amount to much on the score board. OLR actually produces while providing energy. Lappy and Ott have a productive playoff gear while the CPR line didn't.

RR10*

I absolutely disagree. The cpr line was pure energy and while entertaining, it didn't amount to much on the score board. OLR actually produces while providing energy. Lappy and Ott have a productive playoff gear while the CPR line didn't.
CPR didn't play that much together so you don't know how much they would produce. They looked great and actually dominated LA and other teams like I never seen a Blues fourth line do. They were a force out there and $2,5 mill cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad