Steve Ott

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Id rather see him with Backes in the playoffs than on the 4th line. That line becomes your shutdown line and it allows you to have two of Steen, Sobotka, or Oshie on another line. Spreads the skill better over 2 lines and gives you a really good defensive line.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Id rather see him with Backes in the playoffs than on the 4th line. That line becomes your shutdown line and it allows you to have two of Steen, Sobotka, or Oshie on another line. Spreads the skill better over 2 lines and gives you a really good defensive line.
Ott is not good defensively. He should be no where near our shutdown line

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Didn't want Ott. Gave him a chance to change my mind. My opinion of him has actually gotten worse.

Dude is ****. How you get to be a minus eleventy-billion in 20 games with the best defense in the league... it's unfathomable how anyone can be that bad who isn't developing.

Ship this scrub to the ECHL.

The worst player to don the Note in about 7 years.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Uh...What? Ott has been terrible defensively for us. And a black hole offensively. This team will only be successful if we have three lines contributing on the offensive end. Right now we have one, if that.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He really doesn't do anything, but he hits, tries hard, and is better on the cycle than Stewart, so he's technically an upgrade lol.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He does not appear to have been a popular man before the playoffs started. What are the prevailing opinions on him now that the playoffs are over? Did he step it up for you guys or is he still a goat?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's great at faceoffs, hits, tries hard, but that's about it. He's a 4th liner on any decent team.

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I think that I am in the minority here but I would bring back Ott. I liked his flexibility, moving to nearly every line, his faceoff ability, and physicality. Put him on the wing as a third liner and you could move him to center if necessary.

I could see a line like Paarjarvi-Sobotka-Ott as being pretty effective.

Of course, I would probably not give 4M/year or anything like that and if someone said take the money and sign McClement back, I would not have an issue with that either.

The Blues did not lose in the playoffs because of Ott. It was our top line players that did not produce.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree I'd like him back over Roy, Morrow, Berglund and Paajarvi honestly.

If we can get a legit top 6 center, Ott will look better in the bottom 6 than probably all of those guys. Berglund is close, but I'm honestly just sick of him. Pure mediocrity is Berglund. At least Ott adds some flare. In the 3rd period today the entire Blues' bench looked deflated except for Ott who was trying to pump them up.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No he's not. Porter-Lapierre-Cracknell did everything you could have wanted out of the fourth line, and then some. And they're all a lot cheaper than Ott would be. No thank you.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No he's not. Porter-Lapierre-Cracknell did everything you could have wanted out of the fourth line, and then some. And they're all a lot cheaper than Ott would be. No thank you.
And then when we have injuries those guys will be on the 3rd line.

Seriously Porter and Cracknell are depth players for a reason.

Unless we're saving money so can land a big time player, Ott would be nice to keep around.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
And then when we have injuries those guys will be on the 3rd line.

Seriously Porter and Cracknell are depth players for a reason.

Unless we're saving money so can land a big time player, Ott would be nice to keep around.

I'd rather pool our resources and go for the offensive help. I'm not interested in paying Ott 2 or 3 million to play on the fourth line, and I don't think he's good enough offensively for the third line.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I believe Ott is more capable offensively than most think. He might surprise some if he is brought back. I would also keep Cracknell and Porter around as depth because they always seem to provide a solid shot in the arm when they play. Berglund, Morrow, Roy, Elliott (unless Miller isn't resigned) and Cola can all take a walk.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
if we could drop leopold somehow, then with roy, berglund, morrow, and Ott not being re-signed.

That opens up around 14.5 mill or so to go out and sign atleast one big time free agent like a stastny or vanek etc.... while still being able to roll with a miller and allen goalie tandem.

Ideally, signing miller for a one year 6 mill per year contract would be great because it gives him another year to prove he's still a top 10 goalie and will get another year to build chemistry with our boys. Also, if he's not the goalie he's cracked up to be, Allen will be able to get a shot and miller will be gone at the end of the season while opening up even more money to go out and get either another scorer or a top 4 dman. Or provide a nice cushion to be able to sign schwartz and tarasenko back.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I like Ott a lot. I would love to see him back here if we can keep the contract around $2 mil. He is a good 3rd line guy that can win faceoffs, annoy opponents, hit, etc. He also elevates his game in the playoffs and seems to be a good locker room guy.

However, I would let him walk if he wants to find a $3 mil deal. I doubt anyone gives it to him, but let him try. If no one will, remind him that we still have a $2 mil offer on the table for him.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Really can't believe people want him back sure he tries hard but he's just not berry good.

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
if we could drop leopold somehow, then with roy, berglund, morrow, and Ott not being re-signed.

That opens up around 14.5 mill or so to go out and sign atleast one big time free agent like a stastny or vanek etc.... while still being able to roll with a miller and allen goalie tandem.

Ideally, signing miller for a one year 6 mill per year contract would be great because it gives him another year to prove he's still a top 10 goalie and will get another year to build chemistry with our boys. Also, if he's not the goalie he's cracked up to be, Allen will be able to get a shot and miller will be gone at the end of the season while opening up even more money to go out and get either another scorer or a top 4 dman. Or provide a nice cushion to be able to sign schwartz and tarasenko back.

Signing Miller costs us another first rounder. I saw enough that I am not willing to sacrifice that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad