Confirmed with Link: Steve Ott re-signs with Blues (2 years, 5.2 Million)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
To be fair, you have made several emotional-sounding posts today. They kind of come across as freaking out over a minor setback in the face of several big wins this offseason, for the Blues. Your opinion of Ott is pretty clear, but you seem to enjoy repeating it over and over.

Seems like Ott is lined up to be the new whipping boy for the fanbase. I expect the Asylum to lambast him religiously. As for me, I'm curious how he looks after a full training camp and a chance to familiarize himself with linemates. Its like he had no career before his post-trade slump with the Blues. Ott is capable of filling a useful role with this team, and I fully expect that to happen.

Emotional? I strongly dislike Ott as a hockey player an I don't want him on my team. Especially as he clearly didn't fit and played very poorly for us. That is as far as the emotions go. I have also made several stat-based arguments about why he is bad that nobody has addressed. I have made a few jokes about him, and I'll admit my sense of humor can be sarcastic and caustic. However, I have also made some points with merit that have gone unchallenged. Instead of addressing the points that have merit, I have been called names and deemed "emotional" or told I have an agenda because I disagree with someone. Please.

As clearly as I have stated my opinion of Ott, you have made yours just as clear and you too have said it over and over as well. Does that make you a "spazz" or emotional? Not at all. I respect you and your right to an opinion. BlueDream and I have also clashed several times about Ott in the past. I respect him as a poster as well. I can have an argument and separate the person from the argument. The vast majority of Blues fans and posters on this board agree with me about Ott. Even if they didn't, I am free to post my opinion about a hockey player on our team as much as I want. On the other hand, attacking a poster and calling them names, I believe, is against the rules of the forum.

If Ott looks good after training camp and is a valuable member of the team, I will be happy to eat the biggest plate of crow you can find and serve up. But based on the data we have, which includes his play prior to the Blues, I really don't like the signing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Emotional? I strongly dislike Ott as a hockey player an I don't want him on my team. Especially as he clearly didn't fit and played very poorly for us. That is as far as the emotions go. I have also made several stat-based arguments about why he is bad that nobody has addressed. I have made a few jokes about him, and I'll admit my sense of humor can be sarcastic and caustic. However, I have also made some points with merit that have gone unchallenged. Instead of addressing the points that have merit, I have been called names and deemed "emotional" or told I have an agenda because I disagree with someone. Please.

As clearly as I have stated my opinion of Ott, you have made yours just as clear and you too have said it over and over as well. Does that make you a "spazz" or emotional? Not at all. I respect you and your right to an opinion. BlueDream and I have also clashed several times about Ott in the past. I respect him as a poster as well. I can have an argument and separate the person from the argument. The vast majority of Blues fans and posters on this board agree with me about Ott. Even if they didn't, I am free to post my opinion about a hockey player on our team as much as I want. On the other hand, attacking a poster and calling them names, I believe, is against the rules of the forum.

If Ott looks good after training camp and is a valuable member of the team, I will be happy to eat the biggest plate of crow you can find and serve up. But based on the data we have, which includes his play prior to the Blues, I really don't like the signing.

I think the crux of it is: your opinion (the stats mentioned by you and others) scrutinize the games here after his trade. I tend to think that in the picture of his longer career that subset is not reflective of the guy we'll probably get next season. Now it comes out that he needed surgery in the off-season. Who knows how much that affected him (I tend to think not much, since the types of mistakes I saw were more mental.)

I just want to see him get a fair shake and be held accountable for what he actually does next season on the ice, not the Colaiacovo or Brewer treatment where its a reflex complaint regardless. Colaiacovo, for example, played admirably well for an 8th defender at league minimum last season. But you'd never know it from how much ridicule he routinely gets around here.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think the crux of it is: your opinion (the stats mentioned by you and others) scrutinize the games here after his trade. I tend to think that in the picture of his longer career that subset is not reflective of the guy we'll probably get next season. Now it comes out that he needed surgery in the off-season. Who knows how much that affected him (I tend to think not much, since the types of mistakes I saw were more mental.)

I just want to see him get a fair shake and be held accountable for what he actually does next season on the ice, not the Colaiacovo or Brewer treatment where its a reflex complaint regardless. Colaiacovo, for example, played admirably well for an 8th defender at league minimum last season. But you'd never know it from how much ridicule he routinely gets around here.

Yes, it's my opinion. Just as everyone's posts, including yours, are their opinion. I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion. I have not been on this board prior so I cannot speak to what has gone done before. I can and have said that as soon as Ott shows me something to justify his contract, I will gladly eat crow and admit I was wrong. The fact that I am expressing my opinion, using stats from his time with us or reminding you of times other people didn't give players a chance in no way justifies my being insulted. It doesn't bother me, but that is what we are talking about here. You defended a poster who attacked me, not my opinion.

As for Colaiacovo, I didn't see the fan base being too harsh on him since I have joined. They continued to joke about his fragility but people were quite appreciative of how he played. I saw several people say "I can't believe I am saying this about Cola..." or "as much as I like laughing at Cola..." only to be followed by compliments. So unless you take umbrage to the joke beginning, people seem to have given him a fair shake.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. I thought you said the crux of it was that it was my opinion. The parentheses threw me off. Points still stand, but you can ignore the stuff about opinions. As for the injury, as you said, it is mental mistakes. It may have hindered him. However, players undergo a physical before a trade, I believe. If it was a bad injury, it would have been noticed. Finally, I have not used stats from other teams because they are not on my finger tips. But Ott has always been bad defensively and mentally. I have never liked him on any team. He is also dirty, which I really dislike. He wasn't so much with the Blues, but he has been in his career.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Thank you.

The arguments about Ott get tiring. People can have their own opinions, but anyone who says Ott was bad in the playoffs must have an agenda against the guy.
When I see people say he had a good playoffs, I feel like they only say that because they like physical players. I get that. I love physical play. I just think it is a bit overstated.

Personally I have nothing against Ott. But I was unimpressed with his work in Buffalo, with the Blues in the regular season, and in the playoffs. He did elevate his play a touch to help fill the Backes void, but it wasn't some great body of work.

Also, let's not forget the Hawks weren't full speed against us for most of the series either.

I guess I am just tired of poor rationale for why Ott was a good signing? No, that's the whole point of this place and it's the offseason. So, let's enjoy the discussion.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but JR just tweeted that Ott played with a sports hernia for the last few months of the season and has since had surgery to correct the issue.

I was going to remark (possibly flippantly, I've been known to on ocassion) that while Ott may have injured that particular area of his body, the surgeons would be put to better use on the other end.

Then I thought better of it and realized that with his play for most of his time with the Blues, in point of fact it appears his brain is likely near that area.
Well done by the doctors to realize that ahead of time, a 2 for 1 surgery.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Im in a glass case of emotions on this one, and it doesnt help that he is obviously being brought in as Sobotka's replacement.

2.6m is too much for a guy who simply doesnt have any offensive skill. Sobotka was also pretty worthless as a passer and shooter, but he was second to few as a puck possessor. But Ott may the best guy on the market to replace Sobotka's faceoff skill, and can add some sandpaper to the bottom 6.

But I dont really like Ott as a player. He cleaned up his act a bit in Buffalo, but the guy has been complete scum for most of his career. Will my opinion change now that he is on our team for a couple of seasons? Maybe, but he is on the wrong side of 30, and what player are we going to see for the next 2 seasons?

But 2.6 for 2 years isnt going to hurt us, and there is some upside. He isnt as bad as he was for us during the regular season, but he hasnt been anything more than a 3rd line caliber player for the last 4 seasons. I was always intrigued by the idea of putting him with Backes, and match them up against top lines.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
As for Colaiacovo, I didn't see the fan base being too harsh on him since I have joined. They continued to joke about his fragility but people were quite appreciative of how he played. I saw several people say "I can't believe I am saying this about Cola..." or "as much as I like laughing at Cola..." only to be followed by compliments. So unless you take umbrage to the joke beginning, people seem to have given him a fair shake.
That's because you weren't here during Cola's really hideous play. I hated seeing Splodey-Bones in a Blues sweater, I mean hated it. Hoped the Blues would drop him off at any questionable kennel with a $50 bill pinned to his chest and no forwarding address.

Take your dislike for Ott and replicate it over 2-3 seasons.

rocketpop

Jul 5, 2005
I just hope he stays on the 4th line, but with Hitchcock's love for "veteran presence", I'm apprehensive about him taking the 3rd line left wing spot.

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis
he had a sports hernia and it's fixed now so we will see how it goes with a full strong season. i like him. he reminds me of steve zahn.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Ott will be just fine on the 4th line. If I remember correctly, him, Lappy, and Reaves made for an exciting line to watch when we were healthy enough to have it.

Reaves Ott Lappy The ROLaids line

Causes opposing teams heartburn and while neutralizing their offense! :madfire:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Reaves Ott Lappy The ROLaids line

Causes opposing teams heartburn and while neutralizing their offense! :madfire:

Love it.

I am not too fond of the signing because I see it as holding one of the kids back, most notably Jaskin.

I find it interesting the Sobotka gets all of the love - for a guy who truly is a utility player and has only outperformed both Ott and Berglund in one season. I like his effort and his style of play. But I don't feel he adds anything that Ott doesn't.

Personally, I think most of his production last year was due to linemates - And I think that is significant because Berglund produced similar numbers when he was with Tank and Jaden.

I will miss Soby, but not as much as it seems like everyone else will.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Love it.

I am not too fond of the signing because I see it as holding one of the kids back, most notably Jaskin.

I find it interesting the Sobotka gets all of the love - for a guy who truly is a utility player and has only outperformed both Ott and Berglund in one season. I like his effort and his style of play. But I don't feel he adds anything that Ott doesn't.

Personally, I think most of his production last year was due to linemates - And I think that is significant because Berglund produced similar numbers when he was with Tank and Jaden.

I will miss Soby, but not as much as it seems like everyone else will.

Berglund played roughly 435 ES minutes with Tarasenko and roughly 333 with Schwartz. Sobotka played 264 with Tarasenko and 319 with Schwartz. So Berglund actually had more minutes overall, and more minutes with the kids. Berglund got more time with Oshie as well. It wasn't Sobotka's linemates that made him better than Berglund this year. Berglund had an off year and Sobotka clicked better with the linemates.

As for the your argument that Sobotka was only better than Ott for one season, I both disagree and think it is less relevant. First, as to its relevancy, players careers take arcs. Young players like Sobotka's are in the upward portion of their arc, meaning they are getting better. Sometimes this improvement is by leaps, sometimes it is slow and steady. Sobotka's improvement could be a fluke, it could also be a natural progression. This was the only season Sobotka has had the playing time and position in the lineup to put up good numbers. He has been valuable before, but playing a 3rd/4th line role with bangers hasn't led to great stats. Ott on the other hand is in the portion of his career where he will either maintain or diminish. His numbers have been down for the past few seasons. So while we have reason to believe Sobotka is trending up, we have no reason to believe Ott will get better (Better than his overall numbers, not just his time with us which he hopefully will improve upon).

Each of the past 4 years, Sobotka has had a better face off percentage (only slightly until last year). Last year they had the exact same primary points per 60 (goals and first assists normalized for equal playing time). Sobotka has had better Corsi for numbers each of the past three years, dominating him the past 2 years. So while Sobotka's point totals may not be equal, he has gotten less time and been more valuable in other areas. Add to the fact that he is trending up, while Ott will hopefully maintain ground and it is definitely a net loss.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
he had a sports hernia and it's fixed now so we will see how it goes with a full strong season. i like him. he reminds me of steve zahn.

And I got good memory, lets hope he will score 1 goal next season. Steve reminds how you can blow up cap space and give ice time guy who can only play with his mouth. No more ice time for Pääjärvi and Jaskin, well we got gritty guy who can take bad penalties, it makes sense. :yo:

Last edited:

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
Gotta love when internet GMs think they know more about the readiness of our young talent than the guy that actually gets paid to make those decisions. :laugh:

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Gotta love when internet GMs think they know more about the readiness of our young talent than the guy that actually gets paid to make those decisions. :laugh:

I was right on needing scoring for the playoffs not Miller....so I think I have a right to question Armstrongs decisions at times. ..

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Yah, You think Hitch get more years on Blues if we are out again 1st round playoffs, I think im gonna post my CV to Blues office. :sarcasm:

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Wow, we should hire you as GM/Coach with such a bold, smart prediction!!

The point was Armstrong has made some questionable moves at times that did not pan out. Moves that several posters were against the Miller trade was an example of one. Armstrong is not above being questioned he hasn't earned that right at all. Once Armstrong builds cup winners like other GMs have he can have that right.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Internet GMs can also remember Armstrong's exit interview where he said that Paajarvi and Jaskin were ready and had a roster spot that was theirs to lose this coming year. He also said that it was a mistake to sign vets last year who took playing time away from them. He said he wasn't going to do it this year. Well he didn't sign many vets, but he did sign Ott. The internet GMs can look at the lineup and see it will be difficult to find a place for them to get meaningful time. So an internet GM, who is actually just a Blues fan that pays attention to things Army has said and then not done, is perfectly justified in saying WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I'm lukewarm to the idea of signing Ott, but I do believe it's to replace Sobotka, although I don't think he's as good a player he can fill the role as a bottom six forward that can play more minutes when needed.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I am not a fan of "agitators" at all hence why I don't care for guys like Ott. At least Ott is good in the face off circle so that's a positive for him other than that I think he's a rather mediocre hockey player.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I get what you're saying, but there are better players available for probably similar money. I'd take Winnik 100 times over before I'd want Ott.

Could we have gotten Winnick for what we paid for Ott? From what I understand, the reason he never ends up getting re-signed by Anaheim or wherever is because he keeps demanding to much money and pricing himself out of town.

On a side note, are you kinda pissed by the fact that you just changed your name to Vladys Gumption? Because I know once you change it, you can't change it again for another year from that date. Or with Sobotka's defection being so sudden and recent, have you even thought about it yet?

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Well before the Blues made any post season player transactions, I imagined them re-signing Ott and him playing on the 4th line. I think that's the perfect place for him, and I think he adds something to the team.

Last season he played a top nine role out of necessity. He wouldn't have been asked to fill in on the top six during the playoffs had Hitchcock not trusted him. Was he a good fit there? Not great, but probably better than a less experienced option.

Before Sobotka's departure there was really no room for Ott, with the signings of Stastny, Lehtera, and Lindstrom pushing Sobi to bottom six and likely the 4th line. But no Sobotka leaves room for Ott.

Ott is not Sobotka's replacement. Sobi deserved a place on the 3rd line on a Blues team with more room in the lineup, and it wasn't there. Whether Berglund plays well enough to let us feel better about losing Sobi remains to be seen. So let's not give Ott the short end over Sobi's unfortunate departure.

As for his 2.6M to play on the 4th line? I would say that's money that pays for his filling in top nine injuries if the young guys aren't ready to, and leadership. We can only hope he lives up to his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad