Confirmed with Link: Steve Ott re-signs with Blues (2 years, 5.2 Million)

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Why specifically (and preferably numerically) is this Ott signing so bad? I understand not liking a player, but I'm having a hard time believing there is a reasonable reason that he's as hated as he is, even after his brief but terrible time with us last season.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Why specifically (and preferably numerically) is this Ott signing so bad? I understand not liking a player, but I'm having a hard time believing there is a reasonable reason that he's as hated as he is, even after his brief but terrible time with us last season.

The better question is how is it not a bad signing?
His forechecking is poor
He is below average defensively
His puck possession is abysmal
He takes untimely penalties
Etc.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

He's poor defensively. He doesn't provide much offense. He tries hard and hits a lot but I leads to poor positional play.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014

I feel the opposite. I like Ott and think he is a funny guy and a good locker room presence. He really does work hard. I really WANT to like him.

But he sucks. He's a huge minus and is bad at pretty much everything except being annoying and faceoffs. He skates around and hits people while they take the hit and make a play. And Hitch likes him so he's probably going to get too much playing time when we have a ton of players I want to see this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

5 points in 30 games with the Blues. Extrapolated to a 78 games season is 13 points. 13 points divided by $2.6M is $200,000 per point. Then add the fact that he is a liability on defense (out of position), puck possession (significantly more turnovers caused than created) and penalties (takes more than he draws). If you want numbers, defensively he was a -15 in 30 games with us which is a -32 over 78 games. I don't have the turnover numbers just for his time with us but he was a -13 turnover +/-. I also don't have the penalty numbers for just us, but he had a .7 pim per 60 taken vs a .5 drawn.

Also at $2.6M Hitchcock will feel pressured to play him. This leaves the young guys (Jaskin, Paajarvi, the AHL kids) and Lindstrom one less spot to compete for. With Sobotka, that was fine as he brought something to the table. But not with Ott who is a liability. So instead of giving guys with upside a chance to play and improve, we will have Ott out there turning the puck over and taking more penalties being gritty than he draws.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
The better question is how is it not a bad signing?
His forechecking is poor
He is below average defensively
His puck possession is abysmal
He takes untimely penalties
Etc.

The Blues needed to insulate their inexperience on the bottom lines with a veteran guy after losing Sobotka. Not to mention he can kill penalties, win faceoffs, and play multiple positions. Ott passed the eye test in the playoffs. One of our better forwards in my opinion and did surprisingly well in an increased role after Backes went down. He's different than Morrow and Langenbrunner. He's not completely over the hill. He can still skate and contribute in the proper role.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Blues needed to insulate their inexperience on the bottom lines with a veteran guy after losing Sobotka. Not to mention he can kill penalties, win faceoffs, and play multiple positions. Ott passed the eye test in the playoffs. One of our better forwards in my opinion and did surprisingly well in an increased role after Backes went down. He's different than Morrow and Langenbrunner. He's not completely over the hill. He can still skate and contribute in the proper role.

What inexperience on the bottom 6? Lapierre has 8 years NHL experience, Reaves has 4, Berglund has 6. Lindtrom has some NHL experience and a whole lot of hockey experience. It's not like they are all rookies.

If Ott passed the eye test, you need to get your eyes checked. He drew more penalties than he took, was badly out of position on defense, got pushed around by smaller guys, lost the puck every time he was touched and had 2 assists playing top line minutes.

And I don't get how people say he can kill penalties. He is horrible defensively. How does that improve by being down a man? the only reason he is on the PK is to win faceoffs and hope to clear the puck quickly.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Is that role "Official Whipping Boy - St. Louis Blues 2014-15 season" or did you have another one in mind?
Because I don't think he's going to find one the fans will consider more for him.

Ha. Ian Cole seems more likely. There's nothing STL hoosiers hate more than a big guy who doesn't play tough enough to their liking nor fight.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
What inexperience on the bottom 6? Lapierre has 8 years NHL experience, Reaves has 4, Berglund has 6. Lindtrom has some NHL experience and a whole lot of hockey experience. It's not like they are all rookies.

If Ott passed the eye test, you need to get your eyes checked. He drew more penalties than he took, was badly out of position on defense, got pushed around by smaller guys, lost the puck every time he was touched and had 2 assists playing top line minutes.

And I don't get how people say he can kill penalties. He is horrible defensively. How does that improve by being down a man? the only reason he is on the PK is to win faceoffs and hope to clear the puck quickly.

You seem like a giant spaz. Have a good one.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves will probably be one of the better 4th-lines in the NHL, but hey don't let that stop people from complaining about a contract and acting like Ott is the worst player in the NHL.

Fine signing.

sparty09

Apr 6, 2012
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but JR just tweeted that Ott played with a sports hernia for the last few months of the season and has since had surgery to correct the issue.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

If you think Ott had a good playoffs then I am not sure we will ever agree on a conclusion about his play.

I saw a guy that was a filler player who ran around aimlessly trying to hit people. I would rather have a guy who contributes to the essentials of hockey than a physical, uses his mouth not his brains kind of guy.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but JR just tweeted that Ott played with a sports hernia for the last few months of the season and has since had surgery to correct the issue.

Well hopefully that corrects his misguided play.

Also, I hope he had a successful recovery. I don't care for the guys hockey abilities, but he doesn't seem like a bad dude. Plus, hernias suck.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
If you think Ott had a good playoffs then I am not sure we will ever agree on a conclusion about his play.

I saw a guy that was a filler player who ran around aimlessly trying to hit people. I would rather have a guy who contributes to the essentials of hockey than a physical, uses his mouth not his brains kind of guy.

Considering the guy was asked to do way too much (I mean 19:04 TOI in the playoffs...seriously?) I think he played about as well as could possibly be realistically expected. Sounds like he was quite beat up too. And whether fans want to buy it or not...I was at Games 1 and 2 and he played an integral role in getting the Hawks off their game. And that team doesn't get rattled very easily. The Blues upgraded their skill but still need a little jam.

As I said in a previous post, with Lindstrom, Jaskin, Paajarvi, and Lehtera you have three guys with zero games of NHL playoff experience. Porter and Reaves are pretty much the definition of me and are certainly candidates to be healthy scratches in the playoffs. So I can understand Army wanting a versatile, veteran guy like Ott to provide some insurance for the unknown elements of Lindstrom and Lehtera and the other inexperienced wings. I ripped apart the Morrow signing last year because the guy was clearly done and had nothing left but Ott is not comparable to the other Dallas legacy signings, IMO.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Good argument. It addressed none of my points but you called me a spaz which I haven't heard since I was 10 years old. So kudos. You convinced me. :thumbu: Ott is the missing piece for a cup :win: and I am spaz so I'll go spaz out now :hyper: :scared:

To be fair, you have made several emotional-sounding posts today. They kind of come across as freaking out over a minor setback in the face of several big wins this offseason, for the Blues. Your opinion of Ott is pretty clear, but you seem to enjoy repeating it over and over.

Seems like Ott is lined up to be the new whipping boy for the fanbase. I expect the Asylum to lambast him religiously. As for me, I'm curious how he looks after a full training camp and a chance to familiarize himself with linemates. Its like he had no career before his post-trade slump with the Blues. Ott is capable of filling a useful role with this team, and I fully expect that to happen.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I saw the series on TV, Game 2 live. My opinion was that Ott played above his head, held his own and played significantly better than the wind-down to the season. I didn't see him making positional compromises to level hits in the playoffs. But he was still making Chicago defenders keep their heads up, and allowed the 1st line to hobble through Backes' injuries.

I hope we never have to see Ott in that kind of role again, but at least the guy deserves credit for the good shifts he took in the playoffs. If he's taking shifts with the 4th line, I think that's just perfect.

I'm not surprised to hear he was nursing an injury. I am surprised that he had surgery and no Blues reporters had that story until now. (Well, sadly...I guess not that surprised.)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
To be fair, you have made several emotional-sounding posts today. They kind of come across as freaking out over a minor setback in the face of several big wins this offseason, for the Blues. Your opinion of Ott is pretty clear, but you seem to enjoy repeating it over and over.

Seems like Ott is lined up to be the new whipping boy for the fanbase. I expect the Asylum to lambast him religiously. As for me, I'm curious how he looks after a full training camp and a chance to familiarize himself with linemates. Its like he had no career before his post-trade slump with the Blues. Ott is capable of filling a useful role with this team, and I fully expect that to happen.
Thank you.

The arguments about Ott get tiring. People can have their own opinions, but anyone who says Ott was bad in the playoffs must have an agenda against the guy.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Thank you.

The arguments about Ott get tiring. People can have their own opinions, but anyone who says Ott was bad in the playoffs must have an agenda against the guy.

The sports hernia thing is a weird report. Seems like that would have been divulged prior to the trade, or when did it happen? Possibly the team traded for him knowing about it?

I think that's maybe a red herring. What mistakes I saw were more mental ones, and not something I would attribute to limitation from injury. But they were also easily corrected if he knows his role in the system better.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Just remember, if not Ott, it could have been another season of Chris Stewart at $4.1M.
(But let me guess, now that we have Stastny, everybody would rather have Stewart back.)

Wait wait, I get it now. Armstrong didn't HAVE to resign Ott, ensuring that we would be left only with whatever draft pick we got from that trade.

Let Ott walk and it's bad asset management.
Resign him and it's a terrible signing.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Did anyone really think Ott wasnt going to be signed after last year?
All indication were after the playoffs that he was being looked at to be
resigned.
Sure the Blues added weapons and lost Sobotka, but really Ott helps a few areas.
1. 4th line center.
2. Former captain and good in the locker room, the players like him.
3. Management and Hitch no what they have in Ott.
4. Ott is better than average on face offs which is huge.
5. Ott was hurt last year. He can really help not hurt the team comes playoffs, which is exactly what this team needs.
6. He's not Sobotka and it's unfair to compare him to #17.
7. They could have signed Morrow or Roy... Ouch

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
i'm very pleased with this signing. love having another agitator, and can't wait to see how he'll do next season. he wanted to be here, and i'd rather have him than sobotka at this point. loved sobotka, but ott is, in my opinion, a more valuable player. funny guy, great teammate, strong leadership, more physicality and grit. i'm not really sure if sobotka enjoyed his time in st. louis all that much. don't blame him for playing close to home and taking more money. if he wants to come back, i'd welcome him with open arms, but for now, i'm very happy about this signing. can't wait for next season.

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
Did anyone really think Ott wasnt going to be signed after last year?
All indication were after the playoffs that he was being looked at to be
resigned.
Sure the Blues added weapons and lost Sobotka, but really Ott helps a few areas.
1. 4th line center.
2. Former captain and good in the locker room, the players like him.
3. Management and Hitch no what they have in Ott.
4. Ott is better than average on face offs which is huge.
5. Ott was hurt last year. He can really help not hurt the team comes playoffs, which is exactly what this team needs.
6. He's not Sobotka and it's unfair to compare him to #17.
7. They could have signed Morrow or Roy... Ouch

excellent points. and he has more size on him than sobotka.
and the thought of resigning morrow or roy... that's nightmare fuel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad