Confirmed with Link: Steve Ott re-signs with Blues (2 years, 5.2 Million)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Internet GMs can also remember Armstrong's exit interview where he said that Paajarvi and Jaskin were ready and had a roster spot that was theirs to lose this coming year. He also said that it was a mistake to sign vets last year who took playing time away from them. He said he wasn't going to do it this year. Well he didn't sign many vets, but he did sign Ott. The internet GMs can look at the lineup and see it will be difficult to find a place for them to get meaningful time. So an internet GM, who is actually just a Blues fan that pays attention to things Army has said and then not done, is perfectly justified in saying WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?

I remember that quoted in regard to Jaskin, but did he also say that about Paajarvi?

I think the biggest mistake would have been to not sign anyone, and allow the Blues depth to take a big hit when Sobotka left. One of the advantages of signing Ott is that he's a known commodity. He's familiar (now) with what the Blues are trying to run. I think he learned that over time, and he struggled a bit in the system early.

The coaches and staff have the benefit of knowing what they see from him in practice. If you bring in a player like (Winnik? assuming he could be had for that money) you take a chance with team chemistry and that he doesn't play Hitch's system as well.

Since they decided on Ott, I'm inferring that they felt he was going to improve on his performance (either because he was hindered by the hernia or that he understands things much better now) and that outweighed the chance to sign someone else.

I also think the list of guys that could be signed from UFA who would be able to slide into the 1C in the post-season and not become a complete liability is....who? I know it was an emergency situation, but Ott did that. The team should have won that game (game 3) when he centered the top line all game. I'm just not convinced a better fit was out there to sign, or that wouldn't want more money than that. (We're also assuming Armstrong didn't go after someone else...which he probably has kicked some tires to find out what it would take for various players.)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I remember that quoted in regard to Jaskin, but did he also say that about Paajarvi?

I think the biggest mistake would have been to not sign anyone, and allow the Blues depth to take a big hit when Sobotka left. One of the advantages of signing Ott is that he's a known commodity. He's familiar (now) with what the Blues are trying to run. I think he learned that over time, and he struggled a bit in the system early.

The coaches and staff have the benefit of knowing what they see from him in practice. If you bring in a player like (Winnik? assuming he could be had for that money) you take a chance with team chemistry and that he doesn't play Hitch's system as well.

Since they decided on Ott, I'm inferring that they felt he was going to improve on his performance (either because he was hindered by the hernia or that he understands things much better now) and that outweighed the chance to sign someone else.

I also think the list of guys that could be signed from UFA who would be able to slide into the 1C in the post-season and not become a complete liability is....who? I know it was an emergency situation, but Ott did that. The team should have won that game (game 3) when he centered the top line all game. I'm just not convinced a better fit was out there to sign, or that wouldn't want more money than that. (We're also assuming Armstrong didn't go after someone else...which he probably has kicked some tires to find out what it would take for various players.)

Well, we all know I feel Ott is a liability wherever he is slotted, so I won't go into Ott vs other UFAs. I will say that Armstrong priced Ott out of the press box. You don't pay a guy that money to not play. And Hitch also likes his gritty ex-syars. So he will definitely get ice time over the younger players.

But yes, I do remember him saying Jaskin and Paajarvi would have spots as well as Allen. I'll try to find a link and post it later.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Well, we all know I feel Ott is a liability wherever he is slotted, so I won't go into Ott vs other UFAs. I will say that Armstrong priced Ott out of the press box. You don't pay a guy that money to not play. And Hitch also likes his gritty ex-syars. So he will definitely get ice time over the younger players.

But yes, I do remember him saying Jaskin and Paajarvi would have spots as well as Allen. I'll try to find a link and post it later.

Well you also don't pay your 7th D the type of money Leopold gets, but The Blues do, and he will be a scratch player most of the year I would guess.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Armstrong Interview After Playoff Loss

Look to the question specifically about Paajarvi. He says that Paajarvi will be in the top 12 and that bringing in Morrow pushed Paajarvi down. So he is doing the same with Ott, and it is doubtful Paajarvi will be in the top 12.

Well you also don't pay your 7th D the type of money Leopold gets, but The Blues do, and he will be a scratch player most of the year I would guess.

True. But Leopold is not a new signing. He was given playing time after signing the contract until he got hurt. He was given playing time after he came back. Now, he has shown he isn't worth that money and we are stuck with the bad contract. Ott jus signed the contract, so Armstorng doesn't feel he is a press box guy. Ott may ride the press box next year if he sucks this year, but he will be given every chance to do well this year after signing for over $2.5M.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Armstrong Interview After Playoff Loss

Look to the question specifically about Paajarvi. He says that Paajarvi will be in the top 12 and that bringing in Morrow pushed Paajarvi down. So he is doing the same with Ott, and it is doubtful Paajarvi will be in the top 12.

True. But Leopold is not a new signing. He was given playing time after signing the contract until he got hurt. He was given playing time after he left. Now, he has shown he isn't worth that money and we are stuck with the bad contract. Ott jus signed the contract, so Armstorng doesn't feel he is a press box guy. Ott may ride the press box next year if he sucks this year, but he will be given every chance to do well this year after signing for over $2.5M.

True, I'm in agreement then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad