Steve Montador Passed Away

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
RIP

He was always a stand up guy while he was with buffalo. I wish the best for his family and loved ones.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Jesus, he's only 4 years older than me. :shakehead

Terrible. And yeah, people can die of all kinds of things at that age without drugs or concussion-related symptoms being at play.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 9m9 minutes ago
An emotional Mike Weber on Steve Montador: "Monty will probably go down as one of the best teammates I’ve ever had."

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Monty in Africa doing charitable youth work

309le6d.jpg

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BNHarrington -

#Sabres D Mike Weber emotional talking about Montador - "He always had time for everyone .. He was always there for us. This one is tough."

More Weber on Montador - "He was just a wealth of knowledge. ...This is one of those things where you can't believe this is real." #Sabres

LaxSabre - If Will Ferrell ever did a hockey movie - Steve Montador could be his stunt double for the hockey scenes. Or if they want to make a movie about Steve Montador, Will Ferrell could play him. Good player, Great guy - RIP Monty.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was at the game last night with my wife, the moment of silence was very touching and a class move by the organization. Monty was one of my favorites when he was in Buffalo, I'll never forget how funny he was "mocking" Drew Stafford in the Festivus video.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
This image sums up Monty:

sabresapg-vertical.jpg

He was the quintessential heart-and-soul player. R.I.P.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
MEMORIES OF MONTY
By Chris Bandura - Sabres PR (@cbandura)

Late Sunday morning, I was checking Twitter before lunch and saw a post from TVA Reporter Renaud Lavoie that stopped me in my tracks. “It is with sadness that I just learned of the passing of Steve Montador.â€

I stopped right there.

I was speechless. I immediately told my wife. She had devastated look on her face. She told me Steve had just updated a Facebook picture a day or so before on his page. I called one of our former players and teammates of Steve to see if they had heard the story. Word had spread quickly and I started to receive messages to see if I knew anything.

My mind immediately flashed back to July 1, 2009. We had just announced that Steve had signed with our club as a free agent. I remember calling him on the phone to introduce myself and welcome him to the team. I vividly remember at the end of our conversation him saying, “I’ll tell you this right off the hop man: I’m going to ask you for a lot of stuff, but I’ll always be there when you need me for anything. Deal? Thanks brother, see you in a few weeks.†I remember thinking, ‘oh wonderful!’

Sure enough, about two weeks before training camp, I went into the practice rink where a bunch of the players were skating getting ready for the season. I walked into the locker room to say hi to a few players and this guy come up to me with floppy, messy hair, scruffy face and tattoos on his chest and arms. He put his arm around my shoulders and said, “Chris, I’m Steve. We need to talk.â€

Steve went on to tell me in great detail about a few charities he was working with over the summer that needed some help with. This would be the first of many “talks†we would have. “Talks†would mean that he need something for this person or “I gave your number to this guy or girl that is going to call you.†It was all to help others and it never bothered me. When Steve would talk about a charity like Right to Play or just going to visit a hospital, he would get that look in his eye and that smirk on his face.

Nice writeup on Monty.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Another good read on Monty

I met Steve Montador sometime in early 2000’s around the Salt Lake 2002 Olympics. He was playing for the Calgary Flames, dating a very good friend of mine, and was a teammate of Marty Gelinas. Marty was my training partner at the time and we used to train under James Gattinger at a gym in Father Bauer Arena in Calgary. I will never forget the first day I met Monty, he walked into the gym with two different coloured black dress socks on and appeared like he had a pretty good time the night before.

After Marty and Gatts proceeded to give him a hard time about his less than cool gym attire, it was time to train. Monty was raw, a big guy and super strong. I remember that day he easily benched over 300 pounds several times. What struck me most however, was his gap toothed smile and his easy going and kind personality. To me at the time he seemed like a boy in a man’s body. He had an innocence about him that was endearing.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

TyMy57

Enroth is God
Jun 29, 2011
Buffalo
Of all the Sabres I've met he was one of the nicest. RIP Steve. Still can't believe this has happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad