Steve Montador Passed Away

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
@mirtle
Steve Montador's death believed to be a suicide. He suffered from concussions and depression. Difficult financial situation too I'd heard.

As anyone who has read League of Denial knows, these are the hallmarks of CTE. Sad stuff. I hope his brain is donated to research. I feel terrible for him and his family.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Mark Mancari @Mancari325 -
Tragic news to hear of former teammate Steve Montadors passing. He will be sadly missed. Condolences to his family. RIP Monty

Mike Weber @Mike6Weber - RIP Monty. A great friend and teammate! You will be missed!

Jhonas Enroth @JEnroth125 - R.I.P. Steve Montador. Sad to hear, great person and a great teammate.

Patrick Kaleta @patrick_kaleta - Sad to hear the passing of a friend and great teammate Steve Montador. #restinpeace

Ryan Miller @RyanMiller3039 - RIP Steve Montador. Monty laughed a lot and made the rink a fun place.
So sad. Just spent some time with him this summer.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Will be a moment of silence for Montador before tonights game per Duffer.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It's looks like there was a lot more than just post-concussion issues involved.

Various stuff can multiply on a person and really put them in a dark place.

sad.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Damn, just terrible news.

Monty was here in Zagreb playing for my local KHL team a year ago... Had to stop playing because of concussion issues.

RIP Steve, always seemed like a stand-up guy.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
@mirtle
Steve Montador's death believed to be a suicide. He suffered from concussions and depression. Difficult financial situation too I'd heard.

The unions that represent these players let them down. Anybody who played as much hockey as him, should never face financial hardship. These athletes often need to be protected from themselves. The percentage of athletes who go bankrupt after they leave the game is absurd.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@ESPNChiPowers: Peel Regional Police spokesperson confirms Steve Montador's death. Thought to be of natural causes. Autopsy being performed due to his age.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Chicago Blackhawks @NHLBlackhawks - #Blackhawks release statement on the passing of former Blackhawk Steve Montador -

“With deep sadness we mourn the unfortunate loss of former Blackhawk Steve Montador. We join the many others throughout the NHL in keeping Steve's family and friends in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Man that's sad. RIP.

The unions that represent these players let them down. Anybody who played as much hockey as him, should never face financial hardship. These athletes often need to be protected from themselves. The percentage of athletes who go bankrupt after they leave the game is absurd.

I don't know about that, and I don't know what happened with Monty; I won't presume to speculate cause. I don't think you can protect anyone from themselves, nor is it a good basis for a society. But it seems human nature is, if these guys have success, a lot of people around them are going to try to take a piece. Even the ones they trust (i.e. Jack Johnson).

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
STATEMENT ON PASSING OF STEVE MONTADOR
A statement from the Buffalo Sabres on the passing of Steve Montador:

The Buffalo Sabres were deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Steve Montador. Steve was a passionate hockey player, a valued member of the Sabres family and a highly respected individual off the ice. Our thoughts and condolences are with Steve's family and friends during this difficult time.

Condolences to Steve's family and friends. RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad