Steve Mason suffers back injury

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
There is a competition between Mason and Emery to see who can flip the most heads. They are both given a freshly minted quarter and flip their coin 10 times.

Mason gets 4 heads. Emery gets 7.

Do you think Emery is better at flipping coins? Do you think there was a malfunction at the mint and he got a weighted coin? Is Mason just having a bad coin-flipping day? There is no such thing as a consistent goaltender. It's the in nature of the game that save percentages over a handful of games will vary wildly. Emery has only played a handful of games.

Emery is probably not as good a goaltender as Mason, but I don't think just posting save percentages is useful here. Maybe the Flyers have happened to take more penalties when Emery is in net? Maybe some of those penalties resulted in 5v3s? Maybe defensemen have broken their stick 6 times while Emery is playing and only 2 times while Mason was tending?

There's a million things that could have happened or not happened to cause a disparity in save percentage like that; it's entirely possible for a difference in save percentage that large even in equally talented netminders.

5v5 Save Percentage since 2011
Goalie|Sv%
Steve Mason|0.9180
Ray Emery|0.9121
Ilya Bryzgalov|0.9193

Adding Mason's contract to Bryzgalov's buyout, Philadelphia basically spent $37 million dollars to make a lateral move in their goaltending.

Wow, you've done it. You've really done it. You've proven that right now Emery and bryzgalov are just as good as Mason. Congratulations. Stats from 2011 are so incredibly relevant when judging player ability in the last month of 2014.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I see you trying to out-"bad defend" and out-"bad goaltend" Edmonton and while it's an admirable effort, it won't work.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I see you trying to out-"bad defend" and out-"bad goaltend" Edmonton and while it's an admirable effort, it won't work.
As much as Philly´s D is bashed.. I think that depth scoring is HUUGE problem for them, too. That D is overpaid like crazy and that´s why it is criticized to death but that depth contribution might be having at least equally negative impact on Philly. Just a badly constructed and badly coached team. Mason (whom I respect quite a lot) was hiding some of those problems so this can go really UGLY now. Not McEichel-like ugly though.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There is a competition between Mason and Emery to see who can flip the most heads. They are both given a freshly minted quarter and flip their coin 10 times.

Do you think Emery is better at flipping coins? Do you think there was a malfunction at the mint and he got a weighted coin? Is Mason just having a bad coin-flipping day? There is no such thing as a consistent goaltender. It's the in nature of the game that save percentages over a handful of games will vary wildly. Emery has only played a handful of games.

Emery is probably not as good a goaltender as Mason, but I don't think just posting save percentages is useful here. Maybe the Flyers have happened to take more penalties when Emery is in net? Maybe some of those penalties resulted in 5v3s? Maybe defensemen have broken their stick 6 times while Emery is playing and only 2 times while Mason was tending?

There's a million things that could have happened or not happened to cause a disparity in save percentage like that; it's entirely possible for a difference in save percentage that large even in equally talented netminders.

Goalie|Sv%
Steve Mason|0.9180
Ray Emery|0.9121
Ilya Bryzgalov|0.9193

Adding Mason's contract to Bryzgalov's buyout, Philadelphia basically spent $37 million dollars to make a lateral move in their goaltending.

I appreciate the stats and all but 2011 has nothing to do with today. They were both on completely different teams who played different systems and styles of play. Why not just use both of their stats since joining the Flyers? Mason has played in 91 games and see 2,633 shots over that time. Emery had played 39 games and see 1,007 shots. That's a bit more of a sample size than 10 coin flips. Obviously no two shots are the same, but when you have the same guys playing in front of both goalies over a long stretch of games, it's much better than using stats from one guy who played on a dominant Chicago team compared to another who played on a terrible Columbus team.

Then there's the absolute fact that anyone who watches the Flyers, whether they be Flyers fans or not, can tell you that Ray Emery is not in the same class of goaltender as Steve Mason. The same can be said for Bryz.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
As much as Philly´s D is bashed.. I think that depth scoring is HUUGE problem for them, too. That D is overpaid like crazy and that´s why it is criticized to death but that depth contribution might be having at least equally negative impact on Philly. Just a badly constructed and badly coached team. Mason (whom I respect quite a lot) was hiding some of those problems so this can go really UGLY now. Not McEichel-like ugly though.

Sure, in the end almost everything is a problem with a team that bad. Same as Edmonton. The D is atrociously assembled and overpaid though.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
sU5BvSP.png

darkbrew*

as a pens fan it feels good seeing the flyers struggle but this may be too much

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Goalie|Sv%
Steve Mason|0.9180
Ray Emery|0.9121
Ilya Bryzgalov|0.9193

I'll make this simple for you:

Mason is far better than Emery and Bryzgalov. The stats firmly show that. The eye test firmly show that. It's reality.

It's that simple, literally.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Jeez, everyone loses their mind as soon as they see some numbers and a worldview that doesn't confirm their own beliefs..

Wow, you've done it. You've really done it. You've proven that right now Emery and bryzgalov are just as good as Mason. Congratulations. Stats from 2011 are so incredibly relevant when judging player ability in the last month of 2014.
If you spent even 3 seconds looking at the table, you would see that Emery is not even close to Mason/Bryzgalov. It's a table with 6 cells that I went to the trouble of formatting for ease of legibility and you literally could not spend 3 seconds to read it before blurting out your sarcastic opinion.

I appreciate the stats and all but 2011 has nothing to do with today. They were both on completely different teams who played different systems and styles of play.
For those 3 years, both goalies played mostly with Philadelphia! Regardless, the team you play on doesn't really matter over the long run. Luongo played 6 years for a basement dweller in Florida, and 7.5 years for a very strong Vancouver team. The difference in his 5v5 save percentage was worth 11 goals over his entire stay in Vancouver. 11 goal difference in 7.5 years.

Why not just use both of their stats since joining the Flyers
...because both goalies didn't play enough time for regression to matter. Just like 10 flips of a coin isn't enough to predict the next 10 flips, one season isn't enough to predict the next season (hence, most goaltenders see fluctuations in their yearly save percentage, even when the coach/team/system/weather is pretty much identical).

Mason has played in 91 games and see 2,633 shots over that time. Emery had played 39 games and see 1,007 shots. That's a bit more of a sample size than 10 coin flips.
Emery has seen 1000 shots (remember, that's total, not just 5v5, which means it will be influenced by how frequently each goalie was tasked with killing penalties). It takes ~2,500 shots to evaluate a goaltender -- and even that is only with ~85% confidence. Interesting seeing Bryzgalov in that chart too - above Kiprusoff, Price, Quick, Miller, Howard...

Obviously no two shots are the same, but when you have the same guys playing in front of both goalies over a long stretch of games, it's much better than using stats from one guy who played on a dominant Chicago team compared to another who played on a terrible Columbus team.
Emery's save percentage was better in Philadelphia than Chicago.

Then there's the absolute fact that anyone who watches the Flyers, whether they be Flyers fans or not, can tell you that Ray Emery is not in the same class of goaltender as Steve Mason. The same can be said for Bryz.
I'm not saying Emery is in the same class as Mason. I not only didn't say that, I specifically provided numeric evidence that indicates Emery is probably not as good as Mason. I won't touch the "I can tell who is a better goalie by my eyes", even though the difference between a Vezina nominee and league average goaltending is usually about 12-15 goals over the course of a season..

As for Bryzgalov, I guess we'll agree to disagree and see the results.

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yet when the Pens roll into town, the Flyers will give one of their few 100% effort games all season and probably win :laugh:

They only knows how to beat 1 team. :cry:
They play their hearts out vs the LA too, but that´s it. Just because of that connection probably. Such a strange team, because when they have that MOTIVATION they can really play great hockey. It´s crazy to see them play like ****s every other time, tho, but thanks God for that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly is terrible and with Emery in net.. wow. But still, they have 8 more pts than Carolina/Edmonton, which takes around 10-11 games for those teams to even tie this Flyers points totals. Can´t imagine the Flyers finishing behind them, the gap in pts is too significant now. There is also BUF, NJD, ARI for that matter who can catch another losing streak sooner than later. Philly is not getting McEichel, but they will still get a pretty damn good draft pick.

I don't agree with you much, but I agree, we are probably too good for a bottom 2 spot. Only was is if we win the lotto.

2nd scoring would help with better D. We are pinned in our end way too much and the D can't get the puck out. And we have a coach who benches 2 PMD and keeps Grossmann in the lineup.
Right now, out players are on pace for:
Voracek 101
Giroux 93
Simmonds 58
Schenn 58
Couturier 40

All these numbers are good-close to be expected...with Jake much higher.

Read 29.....11 points below his career low in points
Raffl...has 8 goals.....but only 1 assist yet has played on the top line a bunch.
Vinny....has 6 points
Umberger...has 5 points.

So yes...after the top 5 guys...not much else.

Matt Read is starting to play better. He was awful all season, and to date that I have seen, no one knows why. Maybe Umberger just drags him down more.

Regardless, you are correct. The top 2 guys need help.

The last 15 games, only 3 times have we scored more than 2 goals.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Matt Read is starting to play better. He was awful all season, and to date that I have seen, no one knows why. Maybe Umberger just drags him down more.
Weren´t there some rumors about him playing through the foot/leg injury? Or am I way off here? Philly is also known for forcing their players to play no matter what, so maybe that was a case here, too. But who knows, I´m watching Philly a lot and Read really looked bad.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Weren´t there some rumors about him playing through the foot/leg injury? Or am I way off here? Philly is also known for forcing their players to play no matter what, so maybe that was a case here, too. But who knows, I´m watching Philly a lot and Read really looked bad.

If he was, I had not seen anything in any of our threads or discussions.

It's like Read just forgot how to play hockey. It wasn't like he was just slower, but everything else fine. Everything was bad. Couldn't handle a pass, couldn't shoot, bad defensively, etc...

Read has always been known as a Swiss Army knife. Can do everything well. But it's like he turned into Vinny overnight.

The good news us that he seems to have been playing better lately, bug he needs to keep it up.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas

I'm not convinced Emery 's hips would survive the coin flip test.

Im also not convinced you've watched Mason play since he became a flyer. He's the best goalie this team has had for at least a decade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad