Steve Mason suffers back injury

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
This could be the move that turns the Flyers into number one contenders for McDavid. He has really stolen some games so far this season that the Flyers had no business winning. Really hope it's not too serious.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flyers beat writers seem to think it's serious. Guy has been playing fantastic hockey.

McDavid here we come, I guess.

Edit: It's worth noting the Flyers beat writers are drooling idiots who struggle to breathe and maintain a heartbeat at once, so we'll see how serious it really is.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Flyers aren't getting McDavid lol, they're not bad enough for that even with Emery in net.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That really sucks if he is hurt for any length of time. Mind you, the way we have been playing...it won't matter. Just what you want before an 8 game road trip.

You all know how bad the Flyers defense is right??? You know how we lack a #1. And you know how bad a coach we have. Well courtesy of Appleyard(great stats guy), here is how Mason stack up SINCE JOINING PHILLY and behind our wonderful defense:

"Since April 3rd 2013 (the date Mason joined the Flyers, and including playoffs and regular season):

Over 3000 minutes played:

Tuukka Rask: 127 GP: .9297 SV%
Brian Elliott: 63 GP: .9288 SV%
Sergei Bobrovsky: 96 GP: .9233 SV%
Jonathan Bernier: 82 GP: .9231 SV%
Henrik Lundqvist: 136 GP: .9230 SV%
Semyon Varmalov: 90 GP: .9217 SV%
Corey Crawford: 127 GP: .9211 SV%
Ben Bishop: 98 GP: .9207 SV%
Steve Mason: 94 GP: .9206 SV%
Roberto Luongo: 86 GP: .9203 SV%
Jonathan Quick: 127 GP: .9199 SV%
Carey Price: 111 GP: .9197 SV%
Jaroslav Halak: 74 GP: .9194 SV%
Cory Schneider: 84 GP: .9194 SV%
Jimmy Howard: 105 GP: .9190 SV%
Braden Holtby: 89 GP: .9187 SV%
Pekka Rinne: 59 GP: .9180 SV%
Fredrik Andersen: 62 GP: .9157 SV%
Marc-Andre Fleury: 113 GP: .9156 SV%
James Reimer: 65 GP: .9153 SV%"

That's pretty darn good...and not many would have guessed that he has played so well. Especially beind the defense we have.

hockeyfanOU812

do you feel in charge?
Mar 27, 2014
Flyers beat writers seem to think it's serious. Guy has been playing fantastic hockey.

Edit: It's worth noting the Flyers beat writers are drooling idiots who struggle to breathe and maintain a heartbeat at once, so we'll see how serious it really is.

Apparently he couldn't stand on his own and had to be assisted off after laying on the ice for a few minutes. Hopefully not serious.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This could be the move that turns the Flyers into number one contenders for McDavid. He has really stolen some games so far this season that the Flyers had no business winning. Really hope it's not too serious.

Contenders? Yes.
#1 contenders? Ahem... my favorite team is in a pathetic league of its own in that regard

:edmonton

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
michael-leighton-brian-boucher-flyers-stanley-cup-finals-0444406ad6bf75e2_large.jpg

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
B5PAAtYIMAAk0kz.jpg:large

Frank Seravalli ✔ @frank_seravalli

Scene in #Flyers locker room, media held out as Mason was helped out of his equipment

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

I would imagine Philly is in no rush to get him back out on the ice. Let him take full recovery time and go hard for McDavid. Flyers season is already lost from a playoffs perspective, this might be their big win.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Sounds like Emery is gonna be starting for more then just a few days.

Hopefully the pain is more manageable after seeing the MD

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
If he's out for an extended amount of time, we will be a bottom 3 team in the league standings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's a total bummer especially for a goalie. Really hope for a speedy and, more importantly, full recovery no matter what it is.

JS91

May 14, 2014
If that's a serious injury it seems like it's turning out to be a 3-way race for McDavid between Edmonton, Carolina and now Philly.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

If Panaccio reported it, I'm assuming Mason is completely healthy.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Mason .921

Emery .899
There is a competition between Mason and Emery to see who can flip the most heads. They are both given a freshly minted quarter and flip their coin 10 times.

Mason gets 4 heads. Emery gets 7.

Do you think Emery is better at flipping coins? Do you think there was a malfunction at the mint and he got a weighted coin? Is Mason just having a bad coin-flipping day? There is no such thing as a consistent goaltender. It's the in nature of the game that save percentages over a handful of games will vary wildly. Emery has only played a handful of games.

Emery is probably not as good a goaltender as Mason, but I don't think just posting save percentages is useful here. Maybe the Flyers have happened to take more penalties when Emery is in net? Maybe some of those penalties resulted in 5v3s? Maybe defensemen have broken their stick 6 times while Emery is playing and only 2 times while Mason was tending?

There's a million things that could have happened or not happened to cause a disparity in save percentage like that; it's entirely possible for a difference in save percentage that large even in equally talented netminders.

5v5 Save Percentage since 2011
Goalie|Sv%
Steve Mason|0.9180
Ray Emery|0.9121
Ilya Bryzgalov|0.9193

Adding Mason's contract to Bryzgalov's buyout, Philadelphia basically spent $37 million dollars to make a lateral move in their goaltending.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
If that's a serious injury it seems like it's turning out to be a 3-way race for McDavid between Edmonton, Carolina and now Philly.
Philly is terrible and with Emery in net.. wow. But still, they have 8 more pts than Carolina/Edmonton, which takes around 10-11 games for those teams to even tie this Flyers points totals. Can´t imagine the Flyers finishing behind them, the gap in pts is too significant now. There is also BUF, NJD, ARI for that matter who can catch another losing streak sooner than later. Philly is not getting McEichel, but they will still get a pretty damn good draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad