Steve Mason suffers back injury

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
If you spent even 3 seconds looking at the table, you would see that Emery is not even close to Mason/Bryzgalov. It's a table with 6 cells that I went to the trouble of formatting for ease of legibility and you literally could not spend 3 seconds to read it before blurting out your sarcastic opinion.

I sure did look at it. In what world is a difference of 6 one thousandths "not even close"? By that logic, your stats say bryz is marginally better than Mason, which is rediculously wrong. Regardless, my point still stands. You cannot bring up stats from almost 4 years ago to say how good a player is today.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There is a competition between Mason and Emery to see who can flip the most heads. They are both given a freshly minted quarter and flip their coin 10 times.

Mason gets 4 heads. Emery gets 7.

Do you think Emery is better at flipping coins? Do you think there was a malfunction at the mint and he got a weighted coin? Is Mason just having a bad coin-flipping day? There is no such thing as a consistent goaltender. It's the in nature of the game that save percentages over a handful of games will vary wildly. Emery has only played a handful of games.

Emery is probably not as good a goaltender as Mason, but I don't think just posting save percentages is useful here. Maybe the Flyers have happened to take more penalties when Emery is in net? Maybe some of those penalties resulted in 5v3s? Maybe defensemen have broken their stick 6 times while Emery is playing and only 2 times while Mason was tending?

There's a million things that could have happened or not happened to cause a disparity in save percentage like that; it's entirely possible for a difference in save percentage that large even in equally talented netminders.

As anyone who has watched the Flyers play could tell you, the difference in SV% is not due to luck or random chance. At this stage of their careers Mason is simply a better goalie than Emery, in large part due to his far superior quickness.

They have both played plenty of games for the same team since 2013, and the overall difference in SV% is almost as big as it is for just this season.

Mason 95 GP, .921

Emery 42 GP, .901

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Emery's save percentage was better in Philadelphia than Chicago.

False. Emery's SV% in Chicago was .908.

Even if you include Emery's first stint as a Flyer (before his hip injury) his overall SV% as a Flyer is .903.

I sure did look at it. In what world is a difference of 6 one thousandths "not even close"? By that logic, your stats say bryz is marginally better than Mason, which is rediculously wrong. Regardless, my point still stands. You cannot bring up stats from almost 4 years ago to say how good a player is today.

If you go back 4 years Loui Eriksson has outscored Jeff Carter so maybe LA should trade for him. :laugh:

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I'm not saying Emery is in the same class as Mason. I not only didn't say that, I specifically provided numeric evidence that indicates Emery is probably not as good as Mason. I won't touch the "I can tell who is a better goalie by my eyes", even though the difference between a Vezina nominee and league average goaltending is usually about 12-15 goals over the course of a season..

So what are you trying to say?

It takes a damn long time for a backup goalie to see 2500 shots. 2 seasons is plenty to know what you have, especially with Emery where he's physically limited. He'd be a terrible starter and he's an okay backup. Any team that can complete cross ice passes in the offensive zone is capable of exposing him. Any goalie with that kind of weakness will never be good in this league.

He's tenacious and he battles for saves and has a great mind set, but his lateral movement is terrible. You can't be a successful goalie for long with that kind of limitation.

His .89% save percentage is representative of his capabilities as a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->