News Article: Steve Mason late scratch in Edmonton

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Is anyone else concerned that this flap gets to be too big of a thing? That the result will be Mason being moved in the off season? Reese is already gone. Now things look like Mason vs. Berube. Based on what went down with Reese and the way that Berube is interacting with Mason, I'd say that there's a good chance that Mason is out of here during the summer. Management usually doesn't like it when employees show them up.

I'm very concerned. Berube should've been replaced already. They could've went with an interim and havent.

Wasn't there also beef with Berube and Hartnell, and Hartnell was quickly moved for a guy who was going to get bought out. Yes there was a good reason to move hartnell so I can't say Berube had anything to do with it.

Needless to say, they let Reese walk....because they want Berube to finish the season? I'm starting to get worried

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Common sense says that what you say is true regarding Mason and his performance. However Berube is here with no indication from TPTB that they're unhappy with him and Reese is gone.

TPTB?

Hextall's not going to blast a coach mid-season publicly. He's got more decency than that. I'm almost positive that Berube was gone even before the Mason fiasco. Hextall is going to want his guy in there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
TPTB?

Hextall's not going to blast a coach mid-season publicly. He's got more decency than that. I'm almost positive that Berube was gone even before the Mason fiasco. Hextall is going to want his guy in there.

I think that means "the powers that be", but I've never seen anyone type "TPTB" so I'm not sure.

And yeah, people are just getting worked up for not reason. Berube is done, Mason is staying, it's that simple.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think that means "the powers that be", but I've never seen anyone type "TPTB" so I'm not sure.

And yeah, people are just getting worked up for not reason. Berube is done, Mason is staying, it's that simple.
yes, TPTB=the powers that be.
As for Berube's longevity behind the bench, I hope that you're right. Also that Mason is staying here.
Its just that there is a pattern here; Berube doesn't like Hartnell (IMO, for good reason); Hartnell is gone in a questionable trade. Berube has issues with LeCavalier; Vinny, with a big contract, sits in the press box. Not even suitable for third line center duty. Berube locks horns with Reese and Reese is fired. There are many other examples that could be brought up regarding Berube's questionable decision making. It just seems that there is no accountability for him while there is for everyone else. Either he is gone and he knows it or he has job security.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

You have 0 concern that they let Reece go just so they could have a few more weeks of Berube?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
yes, TPTB=the powers that be.
As for Berube's longevity behind the bench, I hope that you're right. Also that Mason is staying here.
Its just that there is a pattern here; Berube doesn't like Hartnell (IMO, for good reason); Hartnell is gone in a questionable trade. Berube has issues with LeCavalier; Vinny, with a big contract, sits in the press box. Not even suitable for third line center duty. Berube locks horns with Reese and Reese is fired. There are many other examples that could be brought up regarding Berube's questionable decision making. It just seems that there is no accountability for him while there is for everyone else. Either he is gone and he knows it or he has job security.

There's no pattern.

Hartnells gone because his contract had the potential to really hurt us.

Lecavalier is sitting because he's trash.

Neither of them have anything in common with Mason.

He will be gone soon.

You have 0 concern that they let Reece go just so they could have a few more weeks of Berube?

Imagine they get into a big argument, Reese goes to Hextall and says "I can't work with this guy". So what does Hextall do? He can't just say "OK Jeff, let me just fire the head coach since you two don't agree, even though there's only a couple weeks left and the team is 2 points back of a playoff spot"... nope. He says "I'm sorry you feel that way, but there's nothing I can do right now".

That seems much more realistic than thinking Mason is going to get moved because Hextall is determined to keep Berube. That makes no sense at all.

So no, I'm not at all concerned.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
There's no pattern.

Hartnells gone because his contract had the potential to really hurt us.

Lecavalier is sitting because he's trash.

Neither of them have anything in common with Mason.

He will be gone soon.

Imagine they get into a big argument, Reese goes to Hextall and says "I can't work with this guy". So what does Hextall do? He can't just say "OK Jeff, let me just fire the head coach since you two don't agree, even though there's only a couple weeks left and the team is 2 points back of a playoff spot"... nope. He says "I'm sorry you feel that way, but there's nothing I can do right now".

That seems much more realistic than thinking Mason is going to get moved because Hextall is determined to keep Berube. That makes no sense at all.

So no, I'm not at all concerned.

I don't think he would move mason. I certainly don't think that would be an option.

I am nervous Berube will be back next season. Your star goalie and obviously had a strong relationship with his goalie coach in reese.

Shouldn't the thinking be...if I had to choose between reese and his relationship mason or Berube...go with the guy who will be here longer? I certainly think reece told hextall it was him or berube. Flyers haven't had a goalie like Mason in like 20 years..why even risk having him upset by choosing berube for the next 5 weeks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think he would move mason. I certainly don't think that would be an option.

I am nervous Berube will be back next season. Your star goalie and obviously had a strong relationship with his goalie coach in reese.

Shouldn't the thinking be...if I had to choose between reese and his relationship mason or Berube...go with the guy who will be here longer? I certainly think reece told hextall it was him or berube. Flyers haven't had a goalie like Mason in like 20 years..why even risk having him upset by choosing berube for the next 5 weeks.

You go with what has the least amount of impact for the rest of the season. Parting ways with the goalie coach has far less impact and is far less of a distraction than firing the coach with a few weeks to go, especially since at that time they were on a big winning streak and close to a playoff spot.

It's not a hard choice to make when you're running an organization, he has a lot more to worry about than we do where we can just say "Just fire Berube!" and then not need to deal with any of the consequences of that.

He made the only logical choice and I have faith he knows what he has to do this summer. He didn't hire Berube and he has no loyalty to him, there's no reason to think he'll be back.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
You go with what has the least amount of impact for the rest of the season. Parting ways with the goalie coach has far less impact and is far less of a distraction than firing the coach with a few weeks to go

ummm what ???

getting rid of a coach ur parting way with in a few weeks def has far less problems or distraction then getting rid of players/staff youd like to have going forward into next season..

what u said makes no sence..

why would you choose to keep someone for a few short weeks that u plan to fire...

i just think Hextall had his hands tied over Reese, as its pretty obvious that Reese gave him a ultimatum.

i wouldnt be surprized AT ALL if Reese is back after Berube is gone

not to mention Gus. aswell

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
ummm what ???

getting rid of a coach ur parting way with in a few weeks def has far less problems or distraction then getting rid of players/staff youd like to have going forward into next season..

what u said makes no sence..

why would you choose to keep someone for a few short weeks that u plan to fire...

i just think Hextall had his hands tied over Reese, as its pretty obvious that Reese gave him a ultimatum.

i wouldnt be surprized AT ALL if Reese is back after Berube is gone

not to mention Gus. aswell

Are you kidding me?

Firing the coach with a few weeks left in the season when you're close to the playoffs is a massive distraction... it doesn't matter what the offseason plan is. It doesn't matter that it was only a tiny chance for them to make the playoffs, the chance was still there and to the players that's everything. They don't give a flying **** about the draft or about offseason plans for the team, they want to win and if you fire the coach at that time you're just going to piss them off.

If Reese gave him and ultimatum then Hextall never had a choice, it was always going to go this way. If Reese comes back after the season's over then great, but I'm sure he understands why things had to be the way they were.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Reese was the one who quit too. I know it's been talked about as a mutual thing, but if you read between the lines, Reese likely said, "**** it, I can't coach with this guy still around." Who knows, maybe he comes back next year when a new coach is in place.

There's no way the organization walks away from Mase in the offseason. It's not even like they have much of a choice either. There's literally no clear option to replace him with.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I hate Berube as much as anyone but I don't think they were never going to fire Berube midseason. Hextall has said many times everything will be re-evaluated once the season is over. I cant see any scenario where Berube is back next season.
Who coaches this team next season? who knows.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Reese was the one who quit too. I know it's been talked about as a mutual thing, but if you read between the lines, Reese likely said, "**** it, I can't coach with this guy still around" Who knows, maybe he comes back next year when a new coach is in place.

There's no way the organization walks away from Mase in the offseason. It's not even like they have much of a choice either. There's literally no clear option to replace him with.

It's also possible Hextall said something like: "I cant fire the head coach at the moment, but if you want to resign now we'll hire you back after the season is over and the coach is gone".

There doesnt always have to be an ultimatum or any negativity involved with someone leaving an organization.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Randy Miller is a hack, so take this Twitter post FWIW:

Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller · 2h2 hours ago
Berube and Mason said Daily News report of Berube blowing off Mason at team bus in Edm is 100% false “Never happened,” Chief said

Key words as I see it is both Berube and Mason saying that it's crap... I did say that Seravalli was assuming from body language at a far distance so this seems most likely true.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Neither are trustworthy.

Just goes to show that making judgements based on incomplete information is a joke.

I agree on both counts... The trouble here though is that while we cannot in any way make judgments, it is safe to say, IMO, that there are quite a few things with the Flyers THIS Season that just flat out smells of problems and concerns.

I believe that we in no way can come to trustworthy conclusions, but from the bits and pieces of 'facts' before us we can make conjecture on 'possible' things that are behind the scenes... however, we cannot come to conclusions.

One thing I have learned from decades of following the Sports World in general... and the Flyers in particular... is that much of the truth is kept behind closed doors, never to be released... ever. There are so many things over the years that have been left up in the air, or taken at face value, and left at that because in the end, it was what it was. We can only and do only debate the what ifs... and live with the results on the ice.

We can make no judgments... but we can sure point to what smells.

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site

Key words as I see it is both Berube and Mason saying that it's crap... I did say that Seravalli was assuming from body language at a far distance so this seems most likely true.

they want to keep whatever issue they have in house but there is clearly an issue despite what the idiot Berube says.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
they want to keep whatever issue they have in house but there is clearly an issue despite what the idiot Berube says.

exactly...

you'd have to have your head buried in the sand to think everything is swell between Berube and his players..

im sure in the off season more info will come to light..

the Fact Reese hasnt said a word leads me to beleive hes just biting his tongue till Berube is gone...

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
exactly...

you'd have to have your head buried in the sand to think everything is swell between Berube and his players..

the Fact Reese hasnt said a word leads me to beleive hes just biting his tongue till Berube is gone...

I'm sure they're paying him his salary to sit in his living room and will continue to do so as long as nothing is leaked. Once the idiot is fired I'm sure all kinds of stuff will come out.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

exactly...

Oh I have no doubt that there isn't disagreements and problems there... of one extent or another... I just believe that the Daily News article is baseless and written to stir the crap pile... So, while there may be crap there, that is not to say that Seravalli's assumption based on HIS perception of their body language is has any merits whatsoever.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I'm sure they're paying him his salary to sit in his living room and will continue to do so as long as nothing is leaked. Once the idiot is fired I'm sure all kinds of stuff will come out.

Usually the stuff never comes out in any official way... we will still have the leaks and assumptions -- some of which will conflict -- and we will never get the story on most of these things as they take it to their graves... We will always get what they want out and never will get the full and complete real story from the Flyers, and often not fully reliable info from the other side either... That seems to be the law of the land.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller · 2h2 hours ago
Berube and Mason said Daily News report of Berube blowing off Mason at team bus in Edm is 100% false “Never happened,†Chief said

I don't believe this for a second. This is a CYA moment. What good does it do Seravelli to break that story if it wasn't so? Makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad