News Article: Steve Mason late scratch in Edmonton

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
People complaining about Hextall already?

wow.

We knew this was going to suck but we wanted to be patient and let the team rebuild the right way... now it's gotten tough and we're blaming him for a poor season and keeping Berube (like most agreed was the best choice months ago, and still is)?

Hindsight + impatience = irrational thoughts

Relax, the season is almost over and then we can just look forward to the draft, finding a new coach, and hoping Hextall can make some trades in the offseason. Berube will be gone soon enough.

This has literally nothing to do with losing. No one here cares at this point. People do care that the franchise not alienate one of the better players on the team (Mason) because it allows it's lame duck coach to create a completely toxic environment.

Berube should have been fired the instant that he played Mason while hurt... that instead, Reese was forced to walk away because he couldn't stomach the way the team/coach were treating Mason reflects poorly on the whole organization, including Hextall. I hope there isn't long term damage done here. If there is, Hextall bares significant responsibility in letting this happen.

Now, as far as Hextall the GM goes, this really is his only blemish in my eyes. I was comfortable with this being a rebuilding year. In fact, I'm comfortable with it being more of the same next season. That said, you cannot jeopardize the long term in order to save face with Berube now. I don't care if there are 9 games left. Just fire him and coach yourself for the remainder. I bet your players respect you more for it.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I wouldn't say many people are "turning on Hextall", but this situation was fairly predictable. Most people who wanted Berube gone months ago didn't want to ditch him to try to make a run for the playoffs; we wanted to get rid of him, so he couldn't do any further damage to the players who will be around a lot longer than he will.

With someone as incompetent and arrogant as Craig Berube, I do think Hextall should have foreseen at least the possibility of a messy locker room situation developing. The blame ultimately lies with Berube, but it's not as though controversy is just coming out of nowhere right now. It's been slowly developing.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I wouldn't say many people are "turning on Hextall", but this situation was fairly predictable. Most people who wanted Berube gone months ago didn't want to ditch him to try to make a run for the playoffs; we wanted to get rid of him, so he couldn't do any further damage to the players who will be around a lot longer than he will.

With someone as incompetent and arrogant as Craig Berube, I do think Hextall should have foreseen at least the possibility of a messy locker room situation developing. The blame ultimately lies with Berube, but it's not as though controversy is just coming out of nowhere right now. It's been slowly developing.

I don't understand why Berube is so arrogant. Wtf has that oaf ever done in his life that makes him think he's smarter and better than everyone else.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Craig Berube is honestly the new Pierre McGuire of coaching. People know Pierre now an an annoying announcer, but they forget how epically awful of a head coach he was. A coach who knows he has all the answers if only those stupid players would just listen and try hard and not be a bunch of quitters.

There's no reason to turn on Hextall until he hires his own coach, unless he inexplicably sticks with who he inherited like Brian Burke did in Toronto.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Keeping Berube has already cost us Reese. Obviously the players are aware of what is going on.

Who knows, maybe the players only meeting was not about winning during the remaining meaningless games and was about the coach? Maybe Homer was on the trip to monitor the situation on behalf of Hextall? Maybe not, but the writing has to be on the wall with this guy, he has gone from incompetent to a liability with his relationship with Mason.

Brigid1011*

Obviously, something went down between Berube/Mason/Reese and it's created a bad situation. Berube seems to be holding a grudge which is incredibly immature and unprofessional. I also wouldn't be surprised if Reese just flat out quit because he was frustrsted.

Reese quit because of the incorrect handling of Masons injury. He felt the team didn't have Masons best interest health wise and we're making him play when clearly he was still injured. He was told before at least one game that Mason would have to play because cap limitations prevented another goalie being called up. This infuriated Reese and he quit days later

Berube needs to go

Sucks with line combos
Alienates players
Refuses to bench certain players
Tactically sucks
Mishandling of injuries. Read Umburger Mason. Some of this is on Hextal though

I should think within a day or 2 of the season being over he will be fired. Hopefully Babcock is interested

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah I have no problem going winless and missing the playoffs.

I do have a problem with damaging the psyche of our best player, and possibly losing him in the off season.

Hextall is responsible for that.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Well, if they canned him now, they need just a temporary fill - as there are some better options after the season is over, I think.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Flyers are 3-4-5 since the Mason in Toronto incident (1-4-4 since Reese left).

I think Berube saved himself with the hot stretch in January/February, by the time the Flyers were completely out of it after the Devils loss on March 8th, it seems too late/too much of a hassle to make a move if you're Hextall.

Berube will be gone after the season. Mason will be content, this team will regroup in the offseason.

I'm sure Hextall could've handled the situation better but at this point he's not going to do anything.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
What the hell.

I think Berube has lost the room. I don't know the last time I heard of 3 players only meetings in one season (even the '06-'07 season from hell), and now this?

Edit: Also, if Mason is being alienated by the coaching staff, and management doesn't do something about it, I'll lose my mind. I'm already borderline over here, after Morganti accused Mase of acting like a diva last night, and Jeff Reese being let go. The organization should have learned their lesson a long time ago how to handle situations like this. Especially if it all stems from our MVP
(arguably) not wanting to play after coming back from ******* surgery.

Edit 2: Emery's comments about not knowing the situation until game time also worry me. There's a lack of communication there, either from Mason, or from the coaching staff.

I suspect this is Ray going out of his way to not throw anyone under the bus. Meaning there was communication, but he's not going to publicly knock a coach or a teammate.

Its the equivalent of "No, I didn't see that controversial hit by my teammate."

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Prefacing this by saying that I'm not a Berube supporter and feel he and his System are not right for the Organization and the Roster... and also that I'm not being won over by Hextall the GM, after loving Hextall the Goalie... I'm hoping and expecting Chief to be gone after the Season -- would be surprised if sooner -- and I'm hoping that Hextall grows into the job as GM before extended damage is done going forward.

That said, I'm thinking that something is not Kosher with either the article or the situation... Something doesn't smell quite right to me.

Possible alternate concern#1:
It would be nothing new in Philly, nor with the Flyers to have a discord between the Beat writers/bloggers covering the Flyers and the Organization... whether it be initiated by aspirations of the writing source(s) or poorly transferred information. In this particular instance it would not be out of the question that Seravalli is either seeing/reading things that are not there or is drumming up some hype to up his game.

Possible alternate concern#2:
Last night when I somewhat got a handle on the situation upon Mason's returning to the bench at the Second Period start and the Organization's report of Mason feeling ill... and the subsequent word from Mase himself... and well before reading Seravalli's article... that it is not implausible that Mason could have been 'getting even' with Chief for the quick hook in the last game and the after Game throwing under the bus by Berube... What if Mason was saying in his actions; 'You didn't like my Goaltending and embarrass me? ...See how it feels to not have my Game tonight and how it feels for me to call the shots going into this Game by pulling myself quickly and without warning also... You weren't very considerate to my feelings in Toronto when you went against the Organization's word, so maybe now we are even, Chief'.

Mason is human and not beyond wanting to one up when he feels wronged... once again.

... Maybe Chief did snub Mason... or maybe Mason screwed Berube... or maybe neither happened... Maybe the writers are again going to ship out another player through setting up difficult circumstances... or maybe everyone (including myself, of course) is making too much out of nothing at all... I don't have a set answer in my mind; I only have questions.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
It seems pretty clear to me that Mason was giving a shot back at Berube for the CGY game. Hell it may have been planned in the players only meeting.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It seems pretty clear to me that Mason was giving a shot back at Berube for the CGY game. Hell it may have been planned in the players only meeting.

Seems pretty clear, eh?

:laugh:

Holy **** you people love pulling guesses out of your ***** without any kind of reasoning.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska

wow.

We knew this was going to suck but we wanted to be patient and let the team rebuild the right way... now it's gotten tough and we're blaming him for a poor season and keeping Berube (like most agreed was the best choice months ago, and still is)?

Relax, the season is almost over and then we can just look forward to the draft, finding a new coach, and hoping Hextall can make some trades in the offseason. Berube will be gone soon enough.

The situation has changed pretty drastically from a few months ago, and Berube is acting like a coach who knows he's on his way out, by trying to create as much damage as possible. Now with the media blowing things up, it's a bit unsettling that this organization will make another wrong move.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
From Mar 18, but just thought it should go here:

“At least a week or a week and a half for everything to heal up,†he said. “You have a day off and then you are back at it the next day.

“Stretching the muscles on the one that are starting to heal and then stretch them again. The knee hasn’t hindered me, but it still has not gotten to the point where it is pain-free.â€

Asked whether he felt he came back to the Flyers too early, he replied, “No, it’s fine out there. It’s just the feeling it’s not 100 percent inside it.â€

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...son-knee-wont-be-fully-healed-until-offseason

They need to fire Berube today and have Emery play out the season. This is dumb.

The feeling that it's not 100 percent inside the knee is never going away. Because the knee will never be 100 percent again. I had the same surgery. Once they cut away the cartilage it's gone and it's not coming back. And the reality is, although it will take time, it will only get worse. And that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he came back too soon.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

wow.

The idea of Berube alienating players/staff and/or damaging the relationships/psyche of them wasn't some unpredictable and new development. It was something to be afraid of all season. I know I at least mentioned I was 50/50 on keeping him for that exact reason.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The situation has changed pretty drastically from a few months ago, and Berube is acting like a coach who knows he's on his way out, by trying to create as much damage as possible. Now with the media blowing things up, it's a bit unsettling that this organization will make another wrong move.

Yeah, he know's he's done. We've known it for months, Hextalls known it since he took over, and it looks like Berube is finally realizing it.

I'm 100% convinced that the plan was always to let him have this year and, unless they seriously overachieved, to dump him and find a replacement this offseason.

Hextall isn't an idiot, he's proven he has a plan with this team when it comes to players and prospects, why would anyone think he doesn't have a plan for the staff? He's not going to be reactionary like half the people on here who keep complaining that Berube's still here. If this stuff had happened months ago then it probably would have changed the plan and caused him to can Berube early, but he's not doing it with 8 games left.

It's ****ing insane to me that I, one of the first people to whine and complain about Berube and want him fired last year, has to be the one to tell people to calm the hell down right now and be patient. Nobody here wants him gone more that I do, but there's a right and wrong way to do things.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I am in the front of the line when it comes to firing Berube but Mason seems flat out wrong on more then one level if Seravelli's story is accurate.

it's Mason's responsibility to make sure his coach knows he may not be able to go. People saying they don't blame him for getting even with Berube, that's ********. You play for your teammates. You don't pull that shot on the other guys in the locker room.

The leadership on the team (Giroux, Simmonds, Streit) need to sit down with Mason and find out what really happened. If what Seravalli said and others are insinuating is true then they need to tell him to grow the eff up and be a professional. This is a team game.
I am sure there are guys playing through injuries even though the season is done for at this point. So, he needs to decide if he is part of the team or if he is going to sit and pout.

I hope Beube gets fired. I would love for the Flyers to lose out and get a better draft pick but let's not act like what Mason did was OK.

Last edited:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Not that it matters in terms of hiring or firing, but how long is Berube signed for? He won't want to be a lame duck coach and if next year is his last year there needs to be extension talks at some point.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am in the front of the line when it comes to firing Berube but Mason seems flat out wrong on more then one level if Seravelli's story is accurate.

it's Mason's responsibility to make sure his coach knows he may not be able to go. People saying they don't blame him for getting even with Berube, that's ********. You play for your teammates. You don't pull that shot on the other guys in the locker room.

The leadership on the team (Giroux, Simmonds, Streit) need to sit down with Mason and find out what really happened. If what Seravalli said and others are intimidating is true then they need to tell him to grow the eff up and be a professional. This is a team game.
I am sure there are guys playing through injuries even though the season is done for at this point. So, he needs to decide if he is part of the team or if he is going to sit and pour.

I hope Beube gets fired. I would love for the Flyers to lose out and get a better draft pick but let's not act like what Mason did was OK.

What in the world are you talking about?

Nobody with any kind of clue is actually thinking Mason did this on purpose to spite Berube, that's just baseless speculation with zero to back it up. People are just saying that because they wish it were true, not because there's any reason to think it is.

How about waiting until there's even the tiniest little shred of evidence to back that up before criticizing Mason?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
What in the world are you talking about?

Nobody with any kind of clue is actually thinking Mason did this on purpose to spite Berube, that's just baseless speculation with zero to back it up. People are just saying that because they wish it were true, not because there's any reason to think it is.

How about waiting until there's even the tiniest little shred of evidence to back that up before criticizing Mason?

That's why I used words like "insinuates" and said the leadership needs to find out what happened. At the end of the day it seems obvious Berube has lost Mason but it is still the players responsibility to tell his coach he may not be able to go.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
I think the bigger issue is letting this sort of thing get out into the media. Hextall should have stepped in a long time ago and squashed anything between Berube and Mason/Reese, whatever it was that was going on. Obviously, letting Reese go opened up that Pandora's box, and was the incorrect move. Hextall should understand the importance of maintaining the kind of play Mason has given us.

I mean, Hextall was pretty much the only goalie to give this franchise solid goaltending for a period longer than about 2 years, in the last 30 years. He can't be buying in to the seemingly organizational mindset, that goalie isn't a vital position in this sport, can he?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the bigger issue is letting this sort of thing get out into the media. Hextall should have stepped in a long time ago and squashed anything between Berube and Mason/Reese, whatever it was that was going on. Obviously, letting Reese go opened up that Pandora's box, and was the incorrect move. Hextall should understand the importance of maintaining the kind of play Mason has given us.

I mean, Hextall was pretty much the only goalie to give this franchise solid goaltending for a period longer than about 2 years, in the last 30 years. He can't be buying in to the seemingly organizational mindset, that goalie isn't a vital position in this sport, can he?

That's exactly what he did.... that's why Reese isn't here right now. They had an issue so it's easier to just have Reese leave for a couple weeks than fire Berube over their argument and be forced to find a new coach before they're ready to take their time and get the right guy. Is it Hextall's fault that Serevalli was watching Berube and Mason get on the bus? He did what he could do right now, he can't babysit every player and staff member 24/7 and make sure they act like adults. Again, nothing has changed, Berube will be gone soon enough and this won't be an issue anymore.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

The leadership on the team (Giroux, Simmonds, Streit) need to sit down with Mason and find out what really happened. If what Seravalli said and others are insinuating is true then they need to tell him to grow the eff up and be a professional. This is a team game.
I am sure there are guys playing through injuries even though the season is done for at this point. So, he needs to decide if he is part of the team or if he is going to sit and pout.

That's why I used words like "insinuates" and said the leadership needs to find out what happened. At the end of the day it seems obvious Berube has lost Mason but it is still the players responsibility to tell his coach he may not be able to go.

Not saying that Mason did get 'revenge' on Berube... however that is not beyond a possibility... but if it were to be the case, my guess is that the players would be aware and at this point of a lost Season where they pretty much are playing for their jobs and reputation, with the understanding that brother players have to be supported where and when they can... at this point of the Season where a win means little to nothing, and that would be the to prove a point... a 'point' that the other players may both agree and benefit from.

To play the Devils advocate here... If Mason believed that he was insulted and thrown under a bus by the current coach, and his teammates also see that... and that Mason was screwed in Toronto and his coach and friend lost a job over it while his wishes and possible health/career was not tended to correctly... who's to say that rather than take it out on an Organization that gave him his second chance and helped revive his career, he wouldn't just screw the coach who he believes to be on the way out the door in a couple weeks?

I'm not saying that that was the case... just that it is ONE of the possibilities... and every bit as plausible as the possibility that Seravalli alluded to by what he perceived as Berube snubbing Mason... which he viewed at a distance and assumingly without hearing what transpired -- that was how I read it -- The point I was making and still believe is that the whole thinks smells and that the people who are suggesting that it is not a one sided feud where Berube was just pissed at Mason for yesterday may not be 100% off base.

Morganti calling Mason High Maintenance may not have come out of thin air or that fact that all Goalies are nut jobs in one way or another and are high maintenance as a nature of that... Maybe there is a battle between Mason and Berube that the Organization has requested of them to keep under their hats... so the infighting is subtle and sneaky rather than an all out verbal and assertive assault... on BOTH sides... Beube on the quick pull and disguised bus throwing, and Mason on his feeling ill in a manner which he does not describe -- stating that he is not a doctor -- Clearly there is something there... and picking who is at fault is a fruitless choir at this point.

I agree that everything at this point is baseless... but it still reeks to high Heaven... And I have learned to take the Media with a grain of salt... and to not believe what the Organization or the players say either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad