Steve Downie

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Any idea why he hasn't played the last two games? Will he slot in against San Jose?

He played against the Kings and was very good too.

I've no idea why he was scratched against the Ducks, but it's a travesty for any of the top 12 to be sitting for Adams.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He played against the Kings and was very good too.

I've no idea why he was scratched against the Ducks, but it's a travesty for any of the top 12 to be sitting for Adams.

I actually wonder if Downie is banged up. Not because he was scratched for Adams but because Bennett played over him. He takes a beating and is generally in the middle of ****... and it's the Pens. I still get a pathetic thrill out of Adams not playing, it's quite sad, really.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little banged up, he's not the biggest guy for the sort of game he plays.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I hope he's just a little banged up. I'd love him back next year, but if he's healthy scratched a few times, I don't see it happening.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I thought he had a really good game last night. Got a chance to show off his underrated passing skills a few times. Would love to see him come back.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I thought he had a really good game last night. Got a chance to show off his underrated passing skills a few times. Would love to see him come back.

I love his fearlessness and it really looked as though he set an example earlier in the game last night. I thought the Pens looked a little timid, in the beginning, with LA throwing their weight around. He was one of the few that didn't seem phased by it and managed to play through it and get some opportunities. It looked like the rest of the team began to follow suit shortly thereafter IMO.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I love his fearlessness and it really looked as though he set an example earlier in the game last night. I thought the Pens looked a little timid, in the beginning, with LA throwing their weight around. He was one of the few that didn't seem phased by it and managed to play through it and get some opportunities. It looked like the rest of the team began to follow suit shortly thereafter IMO.

Yep for sure. Downie did that stuff before he got hurt too.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Didn't MJ tell a few weeks ago that they'll be giving Downie rest here and there to keep him fresh? So he may not be 100% or they think they'll get more from him by not playing him every game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ if you find any quotes, let us know. I definitely remember something but cannot exactly recall a quote.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Any idea if this guy will be back as a Penguin next season? I'd love to see him test the free-agency waters.

Also, what do you think he's looking for contract-wise?

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'd be all for bringing back Downie, as long as his contract is within reason. He brings us an element that we haven't had since hte departure of Cookie and it's nice to finally have that element back on the team. I personally wouldn't tie him up for anything more than 2 years at about 2 million per at the MOST however.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I have no problem with Downie's play when he's able to stay out of the box. I don't even have a problem with him toeing the line. My issue arises when he starts to get penalized based on name alone in games where both teams are playing with an edge.

I'm all for having a guy to agitate and get under the opposition's skin, but Downie's got the kind of reputation where he gets penalized for getting cross checked in front of the opposing net. :laugh: He can walk. He hasn't been good enough a player or physical enough for me to look past the time he has us shorthanded--whether it's his fault or not.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I have no problem with Downie's play when he's able to stay out of the box. I don't even have a problem with him toeing the line. My issue arises when he starts to get penalized based on name alone in games where both teams are playing with an edge.

I'm all for having a guy to agitate and get under the opposition's skin, but Downie's got the kind of reputation where he gets penalized for getting cross checked in front of the opposing net. :laugh: He can walk. He hasn't been good enough a player or physical enough for me to look past the time he has us shorthanded--whether it's his fault or not.

I'm pretty much convinced that at least half the penalty minutes that Downie's acquired this season are reputation-based alone. It's the same story as it was with Cookie, or any other agitator in this league. Just the double-edged sword that comes with being Steve Downie.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The wrong kind of tough. Only disturbs when the refs are around and doesn't buzz like Max or Cooke used to. Not a fan.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
The wrong kind of tough. Only disturbs when the refs are around and doesn't buzz like Max or Cooke used to. Not a fan.

Huh? Really? I see him being more htan willing to throw his body around and he's actually pretty smart with the puck in the offensive zone.

Personally I've always found MAx to be one of the most overrated players by people around here. Yes, he was a hero for us in 09, however beyond that the guy is just another run-of-the-mill 4th liner that is lacking in the size department.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Going to be a fun game vs Philly on Wednesday, do you see Downie stirring anything up? Perhaps a fight?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Going to be a fun game vs Philly on Wednesday, do you see Downie stirring anything up? Perhaps a fight?

I see him challenging Zac Rinaldo to a fight, which Downie will get beaten decisively. Upsetting that there isn't anyone currently on the team that could teach Rinaldo a lesson. Should be an entertaining game on Wednesday.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
We cannot afford to lose one more guy to injury and Downie's had his bell rung a time or two this season. I hope he doesn't mix it up except yapping. Rinaldo at this point won't care who he puts in the hospital, PHL is out of POs. The Pens are a bag of potato chips right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I hope he doesn't get in a fight, he's dodged serious injury this season so he'd probably get a concussion or break his hand going into the playoffs. This team can't afford any more injuries and Downie is important to the team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd have no issue re-signing either of them, as long as they didn't ask for too much. Winnik, Lapierre, Comeau, Spaling and Downie go a long way toward having a really good bottom six.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I hope he doesn't get in a fight, he's dodged serious injury this season so he'd probably get a concussion or break his hand going into the playoffs. This team can't afford any more injuries and Downie is important to the team.

Bring up PL3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad