Steve Downie

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hadn't seen a topic on Downie on the Penguins board yet.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3806/

17GP 3G 6A 9P 60PIMs +5
26 Hits
12 BKS

I picked this guy up in my hits/pims/bks Yahoo league and boy, what a stud so far this year with Pittsburgh

Topical:
With the injury to Dupuis, where does Downie move up the charts?
Has Downie's play away from the pick helped/hurt the Penguins so far?

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I can't answer that question, but Jesse Marshall can give you an example of his play away from the puck and its positive effect on the Penguins' bottom line in the offensive zone (see "The Third Line Did Work").

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hadn't seen a topic on Downie on the Penguins board yet.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3806/

17GP 3G 6A 9P 60PIMs +5
26 Hits
12 BKS

I picked this guy up in my hits/pims/bks Yahoo league and boy, what a stud so far this year with Pittsburgh

Topical:
With the injury to Dupuis, where does Downie move up the charts?

He shouldn't be past the third or fourth line. Downie has been good, but at the same time he takes way too many stupid penalties simply based on reputation calls. Love the guy, wanted him all summer. So glad we have him, especially on the Sutter line.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
His playmaking is really underrated, he makes so many smart little passes that keep his line going in the offensive zone.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Despite his size, he can really protect the puck, and despite his speed issues he reads the play well and is so often in the right place at the right time.

He seems like a very smart hockey player, and at the same time like rabid dog.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He has better hockey IQ than people want to give him credit for, he handles good passes from skilled players, and when he's not losing his **** and messing with teams, he's damn solid. I want to see JR keep him around 1 more year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His playmaking is really underrated, he makes so many smart little passes that keep his line going in the offensive zone.

It's easy to forget this guy was drafted in the 1st round as a powerforward.

I think Rick gets the best out of him because he sees a younger him in Downie without guidance.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
He shouldn't be past the third or fourth line. Downie has been good, but at the same time he takes way too many stupid penalties simply based on reputation calls. Love the guy, wanted him all summer. So glad we have him, especially on the Sutter line.
Not all based on rep. He's clearly got a temper, and in that one game the refs were completely fed up hearing from him. And that sort of thing could be toxic in a playoff series, if he keeps antagonizing the refs. Hopefully he's smart enough to cut it out when it counts.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Darryl Belfry (trains Crosby, P.Kane, Tavares, Parise, etc.,...) and here he is analysing Downie's goal from the Montreal game:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Episode 2 of Season 4 in the In The Room...

Refs tell Crosby in the Pens vs Flyers game that Downie was being mean and that they would take the puck and their net and go home if he didn't stop.

I think that made me like Downie even more, I hope he stays for another year so I can get a Downie jersey.

I WILL NOT BE MADE A FOOL WITH THE 1YR OF ROBITAILLE CRAP EVER AGAIN!..

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Episode 2 of Season 4 in the In The Room...

Refs tell Crosby in the Pens vs Flyers game that Downie was being mean and that they would take the puck and their net and go home if he didn't stop.

I think that made me like Downie even more, I hope he stays for another year so I can get a Downie jersey.

I WILL NOT BE MADE A FOOL WITH THE 1YR OF ROBITAILLE CRAP EVER AGAIN!..

Those refs aren't used to getting mean comments from players?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
He shouldn't be past the third or fourth line.

Few enough of our forwards should that it is necessary that some of those same ones are. Personally, I think Downie should be tried out as one of them. Particularly on Geno's line. Said it since pre-season, would love to see Bennett Malkin Downie.
Spaling Sutter Comeau should still be an effective line.

Downie has been good, but at the same time he takes way too many stupid penalties simply based on reputation calls.

Are they stupid if they are reputation calls? Anyway, I agree that he takes a few too many, but that's part of the package with him, and also part of his appeal - the shirt stirring/antagonizing/responding kind.

Love the guy, wanted him all summer. So glad we have him, especially on the Sutter line.

Indeed, he has been a quality addition.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It is definitely a mix of reputation and him being ill disciplined.

1penzfan

Aug 18, 2005
Apex, NC
We have had pests in the past that could get under the other team's skin without losing control of their emotions. I am not seeing enough control with Downie. He totally loses it too much and can't pull it back.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
He needs to turn his anger into intensity. I just don't see much out of the guy TBH.

Needs to shut his mouth and be nice to officials, and probably opposing players. Antagonize them with your actions, not your mouth. His penalties against outweigh his positives IMO. He has some skill, but is confused about the type of player he wants to be. We might be able to do a "Cooke" on him to convert him to a skilled player instead of the annoying Barnaby type, but I don't know.

He's taking 3 net penalties against every 60min of ice time. It's the worst penalty delta in the league by a mile. This kind of **** adds up to lose you games especially in the playoffs. The fact that he's a forward (who should always take less penalties than D) is even more damning. I would be benching him if I was coach.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...4_s&f2=5v5&f7=10-&c=0+1+3+5+41+42+43+44+45+46

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He needs to turn his anger into intensity. I just don't see much out of the guy TBH.

Needs to shut his mouth and be nice to officials, and probably opposing players. Antagonize them with your actions, not your mouth. His penalties against outweigh his positives IMO. He has some skill, but is confused about the type of player he wants to be. We might be able to do a "Cooke" on him to convert him to a skilled player instead of the annoying Barnaby type, but I don't know.

He's taking 3 net penalties against every 60min of ice time. It's the worst penalty delta in the league by a mile. This kind of **** adds up to lose you games especially in the playoffs. The fact that he's a forward (who should always take less penalties than D) is even more damning. I would be benching him if I was coach.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...4_s&f2=5v5&f7=10-&c=0+1+3+5+41+42+43+44+45+46

I'm so glad you're not a coach. He has 9 points in 17 games. That's a 43 point pace. If he breaks 35 points I will be ecstatic. He does need to reign in the penalties a bit, and I think he will. He's been a very valuable signing to this team.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I believe that he has a positive influence on our attitude, his craziness motivates the other boys as well. He has some really nice hockey skills too. That said, he shouldn´t have a job on a team with less than average PK. Fortunately, that is not the case in Pittsburgh.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Downie has quite a finishing touch - if you go and watch all of his goals in a Pens jersey, it's hard not to be impressed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He can play with talent, maybe he can channel his anger better for sure and I think Tocchet is working on that with him, but he should be fine as the season wears on.

penguins2946*

I'm not happy about how many penalties he's taking. I'm happy with everything else.

DJ Kariyaaa

Downie Fan Club
Jan 17, 2010
i love his game.. love it. love the intensity and the sandpaper edge. Guys we've had in the past that play like him (Cooke, Ruutu, Talbot to an extent, etc.) become folk heroes in Pittsburgh. in my opinion, his hands and playmaking trump all of those guys' by a long shot. he has the chance to be special.

a few less penalties and I would be 1000% thrilled with this signing

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
We have had pests in the past that could get under the other team's skin without losing control of their emotions. I am not seeing enough control with Downie. He totally loses it too much and can't pull it back.

He's lost it maybe once this year. Refs have made some horrible reputation calls on him. I think he has played on the right side of the line for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad