Prospect Info: Steve Dangle: The Prospect Pyramid

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Well then Nylander is no longer in the rookie classification because he played more than 25 games last season.

Where did you get that? His stats list 22 games?

I think another important factor in prospect classification is whether or not you are at risk to be sent down.

The term "prospect" implies a "likeliness" - if the player is not likely to be sent down, and is beyond "likely" to remain in the NHL then he is no longer a prospect.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I believe that Steve is around the same age as me and I find him incredibly obnoxious. He managed to get a gig with Rogers though doing videos in his spare time so there's obviously people who like him. The same people who probably like Cox and Simmons.

Damn, I must be missing something as he has railed against both of them almost every week in his podcast.

Most of his videos average around 15-20k views. That's not nothing.

Most of you are literal representation of old man yelling at cloud meme.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Where did you get that? His stats list 22 games?

I think another important factor in prospect classification is whether or not you are at risk to be sent down.

The term "prospect" implies a "likeliness" - if the player is not likely to be sent down, and is beyond "likely" to remain in the NHL then he is no longer a prospect.

My apologies, I read his Marlies stats.

So he would still be a rookie.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Damn, I must be missing something as he has railed against both of them almost every week in his podcast.

Most of his videos average around 15-20k views. That's not nothing.

Most of you are literal representation of old man yelling at cloud meme.

but that's what he said. that he find him obnoxious - but there are people who obviously like him. it's his schtick and it works for him and it got him a following, a good journalist/media side gig, and now he has a job with Sportsnet, that works for him.

I don't get why people saying they don't like the fact that he yells all the time (things that Kyperos and Maclean get crap for), or that he's seen as obnoxious due to the way he acts = old man yelling at cloud-esque. and I say it as someone who doesn't mind the videos, (but the shouting and the overtopnes can be very much over the top. just like others who scream and carry on too much).

in regards to the pyramid thing - :dunno: i find it as "does it matter?" as ranking numerically who they are. we've got a lot. let's hope a good chunk make it. let's not define them via tiers or numbers maybe they need to be in a playoff series and take off. maybe they need a few years to really shine.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
People watch this?

Not for me. Thanks.
People who have a low tolerance for obnoxious people... I guess Yes. I love "The Hockey Guy", feels like I'm just hanging out with a bud discussing Hockey. I don't need an attention starved manchild screaming at me in order to find a video and it's content worthwhile. Substance over "style" or "gimmick" will always win out. To each his own though and you're entitled to your opinion as others are. :)

Last edited:

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
People who have a low tolerance for obnoxious people... I guess Yes. I love "The Hockey Guy", feels like I'm just hanging out with a bud discussing Hockey. I don't need an attention starved manchild screaming at me in order to find a video and it's content worthwhile. Substance over "style" or "gimmick" will always win out. To each his own though and you're entitled to your opinion as others are. :)

I find it funny how different people's tastes can be. This guy is about as opposite to Steve Dangle as one can get.

Steve Dangle is the human embodiment of a case of Red Bull in need of serious Valium. This guy is the human embodiment of a Valium in need of a case of Red Bull.

I'm fairly certain I lost about 18 minutes of time watching that video. Not sure if it was a coma or an alien encounter but somehow time seemed to stand still.

Edit: I love how Steve Dangle is a "manchild" while this guy spent a portion of his podcast going through a pack of hockey cards he just bought!

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This whole thing made me think. If I wanted to visually represent prospects, I'd probably use something similar to those usage charts. It would eliminate a lot of rigidity with either list or the pyramid, and you could highlight more things such as high-end projection, low-end projection, odds and versatility or something like that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This whole thing made me think. If I wanted to visually represent prospects, I'd probably use something similar to those usage charts. It would eliminate a lot of rigidity with either list or the pyramid, and you could highlight more things such as high-end projection, low-end projection, odds and versatility or something like that.

that would make a lot of sense.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I guess your option of the usage charts or the pyramid are both subjective to opinion as well, so it wouldn't make much of a difference, right?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of why you think like this. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're focusing more on individual production where the pyramid would just group prospects

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
I find it funny how different people's tastes can be. This guy is about as opposite to Steve Dangle as one can get.

Steve Dangle is the human embodiment of a case of Red Bull in need of serious Valium. This guy is the human embodiment of a Valium in need of a case of Red Bull.

I'm fairly certain I lost about 18 minutes of time watching that video. Not sure if it was a coma or an alien encounter but somehow time seemed to stand still.

Edit: I love how Steve Dangle is a "manchild" while this guy spent a portion of his podcast going through a pack of hockey cards he just bought!

Like I said before "to each his own". Steve appeals to teens (probably not all of them) or potheads and people who feel they need to be 'entertained' every second or something rather than just being serious and taking in an adult conversation on Hockey and so forth. Are you honestly going to tell me when you're with some buds and you're talking about the Leafs you or them act even remotely like that? C'mon...

I didn't lose any time with any of The Hockey Guys videos, I don't need to have someone screaming and ranting and raving in order to feel like I've been "given a show" or something, otherwise it was somehow a failure because he didn't have a gimmick or knock my socks off with an over-inflated and false enthusiasm. He's a joke is what he is, be real... lose the lame shtick. :laugh:

FYI, the definition of a manchild is an immature man. Sorry bud ..but "The Hockey Guy" going through cards in a portion of that episode and making commentary on the player doesn't make him a manchild.

June 19th... I find him more interesting than Screamy McGee.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Like I said before "to each his own". Steve appeals to teens (probably not all of them) or potheads and people who feel they need to be 'entertained' every second or something rather than just being serious and taking in an adult conversation on Hockey and so forth. Are you honestly going to tell me when you're with some buds and you're talking about the Leafs you or them act even remotely like that? C'mon...

I didn't lose any time with any of The Hockey Guys videos, I don't need to have someone screaming and ranting and raving in order to feel like I've been "given a show" or something, otherwise it was somehow a failure because he didn't have a gimmick or knock my socks off with an over-inflated and false enthusiasm. He's a joke is what he is, be real... lose the lame shtick. :laugh:

FYI, the definition of a manchild is an immature man. Sorry bud ..but "The Hockey Guy" going through cards in a portion of that episode and making commentary on the player doesn't make him a manchild.

June 19th... I find him more interesting than Screamy McGee.

Are you "the hockey guy"?

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
Are you "the hockey guy"?
Well, since I'm not a Canucks and Bruins fan with an admiration for the Stars as he puts it. No. ;)

Edit: It's funny, I just stumbled upon another young kid (Leafs fan) on YouTube in his bedroom doing the exact same shtick, using the falsely and overly enthusiastic video stylings that screamin' Steve does. It was obvious that kid decided to copy that whole gimmick. I don't even want to link to it here because I don't feel this sort of video deems spreading around, but it was more of the same cringe worthy stuff. Why do people feel they have to act this way in front of the camera?? :help:

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I guess your option of the usage charts or the pyramid are both subjective to opinion as well, so it wouldn't make much of a difference, right?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of why you think like this. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're focusing more on individual production where the pyramid would just group prospects

The difference lies in accuracy of the visualization and a switch from showing preference to showing information. Rankings doesn't show difference between prospects in neither quantitative or qualitative measures, and the pyramid just tries to illustrate different levels of the former.

In the rankings, you have to know the players to get anything out of the list. If you do, then the list doesn't really give you anything as you already have the information it is giving you. If you don't, it's just a list of names.

The pyramid shows a bit more what kind of prospects you are dealing with, and how the prospect pool looks as a whole both from high-end and depth purposes.

My idea would give you exactly what the pyramid offers, while being much more fluid. It would also show much clearer how the prospects relate to each other. It gives you information about the prospects, differentiation between them, and at-glance ability to judge prospect pools against each other.

Still subjective sure, but that's unavoidable any time you talk about a subject based on projections.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The difference lies in accuracy of the visualization and a switch from showing preference to showing information. Rankings doesn't show difference between prospects in neither quantitative or qualitative measures, and the pyramid just tries to illustrate different levels of the former.

In the rankings, you have to know the players to get anything out of the list. If you do, then the list doesn't really give you anything as you already have the information it is giving you. If you don't, it's just a list of names.

The pyramid shows a bit more what kind of prospects you are dealing with, and how the prospect pool looks as a whole both from high-end and depth purposes.

My idea would give you exactly what the pyramid offers, while being much more fluid. It would also show much clearer how the prospects relate to each other. It gives you information about the prospects, differentiation between them, and at-glance ability to judge prospect pools against each other.

Still subjective sure, but that's unavoidable any time you talk about a subject based on projections.

I like your view on that and could definitely get behind something like this.

Well brought up and well explained.

Very good job Nithoniniel.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Well, since I'm not a Canucks and Bruins fan with an admiration for the Stars as he puts it. No. ;)

Edit: It's funny, I just stumbled upon another young kid (Leafs fan) on YouTube in his bedroom doing the exact same shtick, using the falsely and overly enthusiastic video stylings that screamin' Steve does. It was obvious that kid decided to copy that whole gimmick. I don't even want to link to it here because I don't feel this sort of video deems spreading around, but it was more of the same cringe worthy stuff. Why do people feel they have to act this way in front of the camera?? :help:

It's YouTube. Guys like Pewdiepie and Markiplier are making 7 figures by screaming infront of a web cam playing video games. Today's youth eats this stuff up. :laugh:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I respect this kid's entrepreneurial spirit, I just find him to be too low brow for my tastes. My first time watching one of his videos in its entirety. My instincts were right to not waste my valuable time on his material as it adds little value.

His "system" is nothing new. Hockey Futures has a similar system, only they further split out each tier. They use numbers and letters, which could be drawn out into a pyramid.

The funny thing about his video is he starts out saying its annoying to rank players and then spends ten minutes RANKING the Leafs prospects. Sure you've got tiers instead of a list to avoid ranking within tiers, but if anything you will have greater debate if a guy is put in tier 3 and others think he's tier 2. The crux of his argument is who wants to debate how to rank guys 12-15, but really, who does that? People with too much time on their hands, that's who.

He lost me at the beginning when he arbitrarily removed certain guys from his pyramid.

My recommendation is to gather some friends over a nice bottle of brandy in the TV house on your estate and just watch the players careers unfold.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Steve Dangle is great but this prospects pyramid video is so trash.

What's a little annoying is that over the last couple days he's been trolling about the feedback to the video.

I'm in a completely different field of work and he knows a lot more than I do about television/media but I know that once you become unlikable in Toronto, people start tuning out.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Steve Dangle is great but this prospects pyramid video is so trash.

What's a little annoying is that over the last couple days he's been trolling about the feedback to the video.

I'm in a completely different field of work and he knows a lot more than I do about television/media but I know that once you become unlikable in Toronto, people start tuning out.

This is an honest question, but what don't you like about the video?

It's one thing to not like the guy, I can understand people not liking a certain Toronto media personality, but did he not bring up a good point in your eyes?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
This is an honest question, but what don't you like about the video?

It's one thing to not like the guy, I can understand people not liking a certain Toronto media personality, but did he not bring up a good point in your eyes?

The presentation was really poor. It was very sloppy.

He also started off the video saying that he hates doing lists and it didn't appear like he was putting much thought into the actual list.

I'm not going to argue his actual prospect tiers because that's pretty subjective.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The presentation was really poor. It was very sloppy.

He also started off the video saying that he hates doing lists and it didn't appear like he was putting much thought into the actual list.

I'm not going to argue his actual prospect tiers because that's pretty subjective.

It wasn't a video to express his reasons for why each player was in each tier, it was a video to show how his idea of the prospect pyramid worked. He used his tiers for how he ranks the Leafs prospect as an example but it wasn't made to explain his tiers. I thought that was pretty obvious, someone who's goal is to explain their views on players and argue specific rankings don't throw out 1 liners and the kind of things he was saying.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Not a Leafs fan but I enjoyed Dangle's rants when the Leafs were underperforming last year. Now that the Leafs will start what portends to be a successful season, I doubt his monologues will be entertaining as it had been before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad