Rumor: Stetcher rumblings

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Kapanen for Stecher could be a good base for a trade. But i wouldnt want to give up Schaller so easily. He looks so good this year...
but i get it, u gotta give to get i guess :-/
Stecher doesn't get Kapanen. Stecher is also not the kind of D TOR needs. They may or may not be interested, but the offer would be lower.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Kapanen would fit cap wise and is the right age. He'd fill out the top 6
Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, J.T Miller, Kapanen, Pearson
I could live with that top 6 , especially with guys like Sutter, Ferland, Virtanen, Beagle, Leivo, Motte in the bottom 6

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Stecher doesn't get Kapanen. Stecher is also not the kind of D TOR needs. They may or may not be interested, but the offer would be lower.
Yeah kapenen doesn’t get Stetcher is what I was thinking.
#4 d man imo has more value that tweener 3rd liner. Canucks have more than enough forward depth.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Sounds like Kapanen and Stecher makes sense. I think I'd be happy to add from Vancouver's side to get that done. Maybe a winger to take Kapanen's place? Maybe one of Goldy/Baertschi/Motte/Leivo make sense? Goldy and Baertschi are tearing it up in the AHL, so they've already passed waivers.

I'm just generally wondering what we'd have to add to Stecher to get Kapanen back. We need a RW for Horvat, and I feel like Kap could be a decent fit. Kap can play with Cap ^^

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sounds like Kapanen and Stecher makes sense. I think I'd be happy to add from Vancouver's side to get that done. Maybe a winger to take Kapanen's place? Maybe one of Goldy/Baertschi/Motte/Leivo make sense? Goldy and Baertschi are tearing it up in the AHL, so they've already passed waivers.

I'm just generally wondering what we'd have to add to Stecher to get Kapanen back. We need a RW for Horvat, and I feel like Kap could be a decent fit. Kap can play with Cap ^^

Keppen and a 3rd?

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah kapenen doesn’t get Stetcher is what I was thinking.
#4 d man imo has more value that tweener 3rd liner. Canucks have more than enough forward depth.
Cool that you think that, but:
1) Stecher isn't a #4D if he's playing bottom pairing minutes. A #4D plays #4 minutes. See how that works?
2)3rd Line tweeners don't put up more pts than your 1st line players. Kapanen is a 2nd line level player. 44 pts is 2nd line production. Again, see how that works?

So whatever you were "thinking" is irrelevant when reality is something different.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
1) Stecher isn't a #4D if he's playing bottom pairing minutes. A #4D plays #4 minutes. See how that works?
2)3rd Line tweeners don't put up more pts than your 1st line players. Kapanen is a 2nd line level player. 44 pts is 2nd line production. Again, see how that works?

So whatever you were "thinking" is irrelevant when reality is something different.

Why use ice time for defensemen and points for forwards? Also Tanev and Myers are both in front of Stecher, that doesn't mean he is not top 4 calibre.
On the ideal playoff team, Stecher is a 3rd pairing defenseman and Kapanen is a 3rd liner. But that wouldn't be the whole story. Stecher could successfully play a 2nd pairing role and Kapanen could easily play a 1st/2nd line role.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

I agree with this, but to be fair, i think that Stecher is good enough to be a number 4 dman (on a lot of teams) but in Vancouver he's being utilized as a number 5 guy (behind Edler , Tanev, Hughes, Myers)

I should add that Kapanen is a better second line winger than Stecher is as a number 4 dman and thus Vancouver should be the one adding...but they're not too far off value wise.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I wouldn't be opposed to a Stecher for Kapanen trade. Agree that the Canucks add - it won't Leivo lol. Goldobin is probably the best option as Baertschi makes far too much. Goldy is on a cheap contract, could use a fresh start, just named AHL player of the week.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Oh okay so sorry sir... I hope my opinion vs your objective information didn’t inconvenience you. I can see how dearly my irrelevant thoughts don’t matter at all to you.

odd that fans from opposing teams would have vastly differing opinions on the value of their players. Who knew? No sense in going back and forth.

ill just leave you with one tidbit, you’re wrong.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why use ice time for defensemen and points for forwards? Also Tanev and Myers are both in front of Stecher, that doesn't mean he is not top 4 calibre.
On the ideal playoff team, Stecher is a 3rd pairing defenseman and Kapanen is a 3rd liner. But that wouldn't be the whole story. Stecher could successfully play a 2nd pairing role and Kapanen could easily play a 1st/2nd line role.
To answer your question, because Dmen are often given their ranking of 1-6 based on time on ice. A #1 dman by definition is one that plays the most minutes. And so on.

Meanwhile, for Fs pts are often used to denote line. But if you'd rather I use TOI for Kapanen ok....

he's #4 on TOR in Fs in TOI/G.

That better?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Oh okay so sorry sir... I hope my opinion vs your objective information didn’t inconvenience you. I can see how dearly my irrelevant thoughts don’t matter at all to you.

odd that fans from opposing teams would have vastly differing opinions on the value of their players. Who knew? No sense in going back and forth.

ill just leave you with one tidbit, you’re wrong.
Who can argue with such clearly spelled out and supported evidence? I mean, that's right up there with "No sir you big poopoo head."

Reactions: hoyhoy42

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
If the rumors of Stetcher being available are true, and Toronto offered Kapanen, I think the Canucks would jump on that.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Maybe they’re adding to him and Barrie will be part of the deal? Wouldn’t be shocked if he asks for a trade and Vancouver were after him in June.

The Leafs are an awesome team but Tyson Barrie went from QB’ing one of the best PP’s in hockey and being the guy with the puck on his stick the majority of his ES shifts to now being on the second PP unit while being restricted to a pass first game in Bab’s system even though he has always created offensive and started his puck moving with his feet.

He has a huge shot at a Stanley Cup in Toronto but he’s also at risk of losing out on milllions and millions of dollars on his next deal. Gotta assume he’s not happy right now. It’s not Toronto’s fault. Reilly is deservingly in that PP1 spot. But heading into the final year of his contract this is definitely not the type of season Tyson Barrie had in mind.

He's going to get paid regardless of how this season goes. He and his agent can clearly just say that his numbers weren't as good because of the reasons you listed.

Also Stetcher+ for Barrie would be terrible unless the + was massive.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Leafs would never trade kapanen or johnsson for stetcher lol

Stetcher is a bottom pair guy.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We just ditched Biega, unless Stecher has asked for a trade, it makes no sense for us, positionally.

Kapanen, Ina vaccuum, would be a fair offer, but we have Miller, Boeser, Pearson, Virtanen, Leivo, Roussel, and Baertschi, Gaudette, and Goldobin finding it hard to stick. Yes, Kapanen is better then some of those guys, but we be moving, or losing on waivers, another forward too. Kapanen has to be worth more then Stecher and who ever he beats out, which....I don't think Stecher gets rated highly enough around here.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Leafs would never trade kapanen or johnsson for stetcher lol

Stetcher is a bottom pair guy.

Bottom pair in Toronto? Stecher has played big minutes in the past and played them well.

To Van- Kapanen
To Tor- Stecher, Virtanen

Toronto solidifies the right side, while adding some much needed size and physicality in the bottom 6.

Canucks improve on the wing.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Bottom pair in Toronto? Stecher has played big minutes in the past and played them well.

To Van- Kapanen
To Tor- Stecher, Virtanen

Toronto solidifies the right side, while adding some much needed size and physicality in the bottom 6.

Canucks improve on the wing.

to Van- 3rd line winger
to Tor -bottom line dman who can play a 2nd paring role when needed and 3rd line winger

horrible for Vancouver.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
to Van- 3rd line winger
to Tor -bottom line dman who can play a 2nd paring role when needed and 3rd line winger

horrible for Vancouver.

I make that move from the Canucks end. Vancouver has too many players. They should be looking at 2 for 1 deals like this, ending in a positional upgrade.

And it's a solid deal for the Leafs too IMO.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Why would Vancouver trade him if he's young-ish and a solid RHD? They can't expect a big haul for him
Exactly this. He's worth more to us than any other team. Well maybe not, I don't know every other team's situation, but what I'm saying is he's not worth trading. Defensive depth is a MUST and he fits in nicely on the 3rd pairing on the right side.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
If the rumors of Stetcher being available are true, and Toronto offered Kapanen, I think the Canucks would jump on that.
And replace Stecher with who?

For me, it isn't so much about the quality of the return. Stecher for Kapanen seems like a pretty damn good deal. It's more about what kind of move the Canucks need to be making vs not making. Trading Stecher for the sake of trading Stecher is a move they should not make.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Not sure why rumour has legs. It isn't going to happen. Canucks cannot afford to give up more D depth. I hope they move Fanta in place of Benn for a few games to see if Fanta and Stech have some chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad