Stepping back and looking at the way forward...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Even though people want to keep Wennberg around now that we're out of it, to get the experience, I say send him down. We dont want our top prospect wallowing in filth for the rest of the season, play against comparable players to start developing some offense in him

This!

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'd like Forsberg to go down. The Falcons have lost their last 5 and a good season there could also head to the toilet if they can't get Dansk out of there. Bring Dansk up here to sit the bench for the next couple of weeks and maybe work on things with Clark in practices. Ride McE as much as possible until Bob is back. If you have to bring Forsberg for the occasional game on a back-to-back, so be it, but let Forsberg experience a playoff run with the Falcons.

And this.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to hear elaboration on both of these.

There is no reason for him not to "fit". Who does fit? Big, slow guys with no puck skills? Wennberg is legitimately one of the least-fitting Swedes into that "fancy, soft, euro" categorization. He's not a dangler like William Nylander. He has the tools to succeed in the NHL and does all those small, smart plays that don't really get you up on your feet, but you can't win without. He's obviously defensively responsible while his timing as well as his hockey IQ are great. One thing I've noticed is that his board work is outstanding, and if he does put on some more muscle this will continue to get even better.

Rdl0DQ.gif

Combine all that with the good puck skills he has and you have the recipe for a very reliable middle-six center. Yeah he needs to work on faceoffs, and yeah he should've probably spent at least most of this season in the AHL. He needs time to adjust. I've witnessed this scenario last season with Elias Lindholm. You can't expect a Swede to come over and click right away.

He's only 20 years old. Maybe some people's expectations are too high but that's out of my control. To say he doesn't "fit" on this team is asinine. He's a player that will fit anywhere, and the type that every team should have. If Wennberg draws that kind of response, I can only imagine what will be said about Sonny Milano when his NHL time comes.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
There is no reason for him not to "fit". Who does fit? Big, slow guys with no puck skills? Wennberg is legitimately one of the least-fitting Swedes into that "fancy, soft, euro" categorization. He's not a dangler like William Nylander. He has the tools to succeed in the NHL and does all those small, smart plays that don't really get you up on your feet, but you can't win without. He's obviously defensively responsible while his timing as well as his hockey IQ are great. One thing I've noticed is that his board work is outstanding, and if he does put on some more muscle this will continue to get even better.

Rdl0DQ.gif

Combine all that with the good puck skills he has and you have the recipe for a very reliable middle-six center. Yeah he needs to work on faceoffs, and yeah he should've probably spent at least most of this season in the AHL. He needs time to adjust. I've witnessed this scenario last season with Elias Lindholm. You can't expect a Swede to come over and click right away.

He's only 20 years old. Maybe some people's expectations are too high but that's out of my control. To say he doesn't "fit" on this team is asinine. He's a player that will fit anywhere, and the type that every team should have. If Wennberg draws that kind of response, I can only imagine what will be said about Sonny Milano when his NHL time comes.

Wennberg has a great skillset and yes I notice the little plays he is starting to make. Problem I see if that Wennberg isn't what we need right now which is a gritty top six goal scorer.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wennberg has a great skillset and yes I notice the little plays he is starting to make. Problem I see if that Wennberg isn't what we need right now which is a gritty top six goal scorer.

How about any kind of a top 6 goal scorer? Screw the grit.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Rdl0DQ.gif

Thank you. At least one of you elaborated. (See. Isn't this a better post than "This is so laughably wrong."?)

thebus2288*

Ok. 1st, regarding the concept of "fitting" into a team/coaches "system". Anybody can fit into any system. Anybody can also not fit into any system. There's so many different individual factors to do with sports teams (especially pro) that are just not linear. Neither coaching systems or player style/attributes are as simple as you (olliec and others) like to make it seem either. If you want to categorize Wennberg as a "mid sized, above average skater with good puck skills, I can easily categorize him as a "fancy, soft, euro". I also wanna add that my comment about him "not-fitting" was a direct response to the 1 OF MANY complaints about the tenacity and fit of Atkinson. A player who over time has shown 10 times the amount that Wennberg has of both, along with actual on-ice impact/production.

I'd also like to combat the idea that he does make the "small, smart play" that you "can't win without" or that he actually is "obviously defensively responsible". Most of this is based on faulty or outdated perceptions based on draft scouting reports and WJC games. It must be, because he hasn't shown any of that at the NHL level. I still have issues with what "timing" means when it comes to being a hockey attribute, but to me, his "reading plays" and position in the defensive zone (at NHL speed) is pretty subpar. To me he is a soft, offensive minded, playmaking, winger who can be defensively responsible. However, I don't see him as a player who will EVER be a guy who can carry a team in the defensive zone (like Dubi) or in the offensive zone (like Johansen/Foligno/Voracek). He's a better skating Huselius that can't shoot nearly as well.

And don't give me his age as the trump card. As of now he's shown nothing more, and in my opinion actually less, than both Rychel and Dano. You can go back as late as the 'Johansen saga' thread and see I was much higher on Wennberg than I was the other guys. I was sucked into the scouting profiles and 5-10 (or 60) draft pick difference. Then I actually saw each guy play enough to reach a new conclusion. Even though we've seen nothing of them at the NHL level its pretty clear both Milano and Bjork have higher advanced offensive capabilities than Wennberg, no? Both of their "ceilings" are even more advanced then right? I think its safe to say that Wennberg's tenacity level will never put him ahead of those guys as they have arguably better offensive IQ now anyway, along with superior offensive skills. While they both play quite different games than Wennberg, in much less time, did Dano and Rychel look less out of place than Wennberg has? To me they we're both clearly better, were a much bigger offensive threat, and yes, FIT...."better". Neither guys tenacity level (aka fit?) could be questioned over Wenny, that's for sure. Just imagine what those 2 guys would look like right about now with 30 extra games to "progress" like Wennberg has.

Wennberg MIGHT (one day) be a player you "can't win without". He surely is not now. I'd rather take my chances with Rychel, Dano, Anderson, Tynan in that they might be players you "can win with". NOW and in 3 years with Bjork/Milano/whatever shiny new '15 1st rd prospect.

Thought out enough? TOO MUCH? Can't wait to hear the feedback.

thebus2288*

Rdl0DQ.gif

This is it? This proves it? What is it again? This is a video of him getting beat/the puck knocked away by Yaroslav Dyblenko. '12 EDM Oiler draft pick and current "no longer on active roster" KHL player Daniil Zharkov comes in and picks up a loose puck and clearly has no idea what the **** to do. To summarize, Wennberg loses the puck then does a simple, SIMPLE stick swipe, and then pivots up the boards with the puck. That's a mens 'B' league play. What does it tell you about him being a good hockey player? This is a perfect example why junior numbers, and in some cases(as I believe it is with Wennberg) even the "way" a player plays is either inflated or overblown. Or their game just simply doesn't translate, either because of the skills a guy possesses or because of the way he plays or thinks the game. Wennberg won't be the 1st or last hyped prospect to not pan out or reach the potential so many thought they would reach. Just imagine the numbers or how dominating Anisimov or Letestu would look playing in the WJC or SEL.

How about any kind of a top 6 goal scorer? Screw the grit.

He'll NEVER be either, that's the "problem" with him "fitting" with the team. Every other "top" prospect we have has a better chance to be that and even a couple "under the radar" type guys have a better chance. And the other "middle-6" centers we have are all clearly better than him and as much as most of you don't wanna admit it or believe it, the chances of him being better in less than 3 years is not very high.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ok. 1st, regarding the concept of "fitting" into a team/coaches "system". Anybody can fit into any system. Anybody can also not fit into any system. There's so many different individual factors to do with sports teams (especially pro) that are just not linear. Neither coaching systems or player style/attributes are as simple as you (olliec and others) like to make it seem either. If you want to categorize Wennberg as a "mid sized, above average skater with good puck skills, I can easily categorize him as a "fancy, soft, euro". I also wanna add that my comment about him "not-fitting" was a direct response to the 1 OF MANY complaints about the tenacity and fit of Atkinson. A player who over time has shown 10 times the amount that Wennberg has of both, along with actual on-ice impact/production.

I'd also like to combat the idea that he does make the "small, smart play" that you "can't win without" or that he actually is "obviously defensively responsible". Most of this is based on faulty or outdated perceptions based on draft scouting reports and WJC games. It must be, because he hasn't shown any of that at the NHL level. I still have issues with what "timing" means when it comes to being a hockey attribute, but to me, his "reading plays" and position in the defensive zone (at NHL speed) is pretty subpar. To me he is a soft, offensive minded, playmaking, winger who can be defensively responsible. However, I don't see him as a player who will EVER be a guy who can carry a team in the defensive zone (like Dubi) or in the offensive zone (like Johansen/Foligno/Voracek). He's a better skating Huselius that can't shoot nearly as well.

And don't give me his age as the trump card. As of now he's shown nothing more, and in my opinion actually less, than both Rychel and Dano. You can go back as late as the 'Johansen saga' thread and see I was much higher on Wennberg than I was the other guys. I was sucked into the scouting profiles and 5-10 (or 60) draft pick difference. Then I actually saw each guy play enough to reach a new conclusion. Even though we've seen nothing of them at the NHL level its pretty clear both Milano and Bjork have higher advanced offensive capabilities than Wennberg, no? Both of their "ceilings" are even more advanced then right? I think its safe to say that Wennberg's tenacity level will never put him ahead of those guys as they have arguably better offensive IQ now anyway, along with superior offensive skills. While they both play quite different games than Wennberg, in much less time, did Dano and Rychel look less out of place than Wennberg has? To me they we're both clearly better, were a much bigger offensive threat, and yes, FIT...."better". Neither guys tenacity level (aka fit?) could be questioned over Wenny, that's for sure. Just imagine what those 2 guys would look like right about now with 30 extra games to "progress" like Wennberg has.

Wennberg MIGHT (one day) be a player you "can't win without". He surely is not now. I'd rather take my chances with Rychel, Dano, Anderson, Tynan in that they might be players you "can win with". NOW and in 3 years with Bjork/Milano/whatever shiny new '15 1st rd prospect.

Thought out enough? TOO MUCH? Can't wait to hear the feedback.

It's better than your post I quoted, which said absolutely nothing. Nice to see both of you back up your blanket statements with actual opinion and evidence. That's the kin of posting you can win with.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's better than your post I quoted, which said absolutely nothing. Nice to see both of you back up your blanket statements with actual opinion and evidence. That's the kin of posting you can win with.

What's next encouraging good grammar and spelling? :laugh:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Just imagine the numbers or how dominating... Letestu would look playing in the... SEL.
[/QUOTE]

He played one league level below Swedish top division Elitserien, in Allsvenskan, posting 4+0 in seven appearances during the latest lockout. Wennberg scored 14+18 in 46 appearances in his rookie season. Same season and league.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
How do you determine which words you're going to bold?

I don't think I'm doing it right.

I tried reading them as if it were a secret code, and amazingly I still got the gist of what he was saying. Kind of feels like some kind of Haiku..or maybe hip hop...or a doge meme.

Anybody any
Anybody not any
OF MANY tenacity fit
does is
winger
EVER

Much
FIT

MIGHT
is not now
Can
NOW

Thought out enought? TOO MUCH?

asTWSeI.jpg

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I like Wennberg. I'm not sure why there's some obsession with his 'fit'. He looks fine to me and is the least of the CBJs problems. He's no all-star, and he's finding his way. I don't remotely see him as the same kind of player as Joey, but at this stage in his development, he's quite a bit further along than Joey and has a better attitude. I'm excited to see him continue to grow.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I like Wennberg. I'm not sure why there's some obsession with his 'fit'. He looks fine to me and is the least of the CBJs problems. He's no all-star, and he's finding his way. I don't remotely see him as the same kind of player as Joey, but at this stage in his development, he's quite a bit further along than Joey and has a better attitude. I'm excited to see him continue to grow.

I agree about this "fit" thing. I think it is a matter of playing with what you have. JD/JK didn't inherit a bunch of talented finesse guys. They pretty much had/have a group of "blue collar" type players. Sooner or later we need to add skill to the group. Wennberg & Murray seem to fit into that group; I imagine Milano & Bjorkstrand do too. Rychel & Dano maybe more the grittier kind of player. Joey is more skill than grit imo. Jenner more grit. My dream down the road is to have the right blend of both to produce a team that can play both ways.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I'm not buying that. I could be wrong but I remember Joey being about just as good defensively as Wennberg his rookie year, and scoring at least twice as much.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
You're right, 6 years and 5.5/yr for a 27 year old Foligno is not great asset management but 7 years and 4.9/yr for 32 year old Gaborik is something to be envious of.

:shakehead

Oops, Gaborik was not a good example on my part. I thought his deal was short... The rest of my post stands though... I don't see how it can be honestly argued.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad