Movies: Stephen King's It (Reboot)

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
THE CGI is bad?

Yes. And unnecessary. They try way too hard.

But it's got great characters, great acting, great cinematography, and a great soundtrack/score. Also a potentially great story had they fleshed out the depraved family dynamics a bit more. The last half hour is a bore, but overall an engaging flick.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes. And unnecessary. They try way too hard.

But it's got great characters, great acting, great cinematography, and a great soundtrack/score. Also a potentially great story had they fleshed out the depraved family dynamics a bit more. The last half hour is a bore, but overall an engaging flick.

BS the CGI is great.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Studio estimate for the weekend has it as $117M for the weekend, which shatters a number of records. People think that estimate is probably low balled, and when final figures come in tomorrow, it could be higher.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The people who think the CGI is bad in this probably always think CGI is bad.

That sums up Takeo.

It's funny people saying it was not scary. To be honest no horror movie scares me these days. That's being said this movie had some really creepy moments etc. I still loved it and am glad that it ended up being way better that the Dark Tower which was a turd.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

It's not so much that we think it looks bad, it's more that it's obvious it's CGI. Give me guys in suits or puppets or w/e any day. Perfect example is the Queen in Aliens. It's 31 years old and it still looks a thousand times better than anything they could do with computers these days.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I'm not going to fight the CGI battle. What I will say is that I thought it was totally unnecessary for Pennywise and it distracted from what was a terrific performance by Skarsgaard.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm not going to fight the CGI battle. What I will say is that I thought it was totally unnecessary for Pennywise and it distracted from what was a terrific performance by Skarsgaard.

This. Out of all the things that may have needed CGI, the clown should not have been one of them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I've got no issues with CGI at all. I think it's amazing what we can now see on the big screen because of CGI (see almost every marvel movie). The CGI was still kind of bad in this one. There were a couple of times where I felt like I should feel horrified, but instead just found myself noticing how slightly off a shot looked. The opening scene with Georgie and Pennywise is actually the perfect example for me. When Pennywise's mouth expands with his teeth it just looked slightly off. It looked animated. The woman from the painting with Stan felt the same way.

It's funny people saying it was not scary. To be honest no horror movie scares me these days. That's being said this movie had some really creepy moments etc. I still loved it and am glad that it ended up being way better that the Dark Tower which was a turd.

I still find some movies scare me now a days. I think for me it's mostly about atmosphere than actual scares though. For example, I found It Comes At Night very scary at times when almost nothing was happening, just because of how tense it all was. Ditto for The Witch and It Follows.

The scares in It felt fairly conventional. Not in a bad way, but as I mentioned above, imo it felt more like an adventure movie than a horror movie for the majority of the film.

No complaints from me though. I still enjoyed the hell out of the movie.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is one of those movies that I don't really get why it's blowing up so much and getting so much critical acclaim. I'm a horror fan and really enjoyed it, but this was a very conventional modern horror film IMO. Seriously, this just felt like a by the numbers horror movie albeit with good performances by a bunch of the child actors, which is definitely commendable. Was it scary? I'd say no, but there are very few movies that actually scare me. Is it as scary as something like, for example, Sinister (first decently scary conventional horror movie that came out recently to come to mind)? Definitely not. Some decent jump scares but definitely not at the top of the spectrum as far as modern horror movies go.

Pennywise... I dunno, I thought he was fine, even good, was just expecting a bit more I think. He had some crazy big shoes to fill with Curry's performance, who single handedly elevated the originals above something that wasn't a complete joke. Skarsgard did a good job, but I don't think he was able to match the heights Curry did, which is obviously understandable. I completely agree with the CGI comments, by the way. Not that they were bad per se, just that I think they may have been overused a bit, and maybe a bit unnecessary.

To me, the only thing that really stands out about the movie that separates it from other horror movies are the performances and dialogue from the kids, and more specifically Eddie and Richie. I thought the part in the middle of the movie in and around the convenience store/pharmacy was particularly strong.

Everyone talks about Finn Wolfhard (Richie), who was really good for sure, but I thought Jack Dylan Glazer (Eddie) was the real standout. The stuttering lead was good as well. The Rabbi's son is the only one that I didn't really think did a very good job, although he also had the least to work with. The bullies were also insanely cliche and forgettable. Anyways, really good work all around, and I feel like this really elevated the movie. Child actors can completely break a movie, it's really nice to see the opposite effect every once in a while.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I really enjoyed it. as far as the CGI I thought it was fine. Some of the "monsters" where supposed to terrify the kids so weren't necessarily based off realistic looking things ex. the painting. CGI was great in other scenes.

The Billy scene..

[spoil]where he meets pennywise was fantastic. Pennywise is drooling the whole time and when he genuinely starts to make Billy happy and laugh he shuts it down with that chilling evil dead stare, that in return makes Billy uncomfortable. Pennywise obviously feeds off fear and once Billy started to show signs of joy he went back into creepy clown mode. It was an awesome scene[/spoil]

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I've had 24 hours to digest this movie, and here is my more in depth take. Sans spoilers obviously.

Let me preface this by saying, that I enjoyed viewing this movie. I really did, but that said. Is it good? No. Not at all. Will I ever see it again? Maybe. If I'm drinking with friends during a horror marathon at a Halloween party. Will I ever go out of my way to see it again by myself? Probably not, but it's not quite that special kind of bland I loathe to say no for certain. But is it entertaining? Yes. Hell yes.

My biggest gripe with this movie is that I don't think it knew what it wanted to be. imo anyway. It went over and above to try to be creepy//scary//disturbing, and to be fair, there were a few kinda creepy moments, that in and of themselves weren't all that bad, but afterwards left me looking over my shoulder and hearing things for a bit. I wouldn't say it was scary per say, but for example, I got spooked by a rabbit driving home that was just hanging out in the middle of the street. I live on a dark side street and turned a corner and had my high beams on and this rabbit was just there, and rather than just running away, stood there and stared at me for a few seconds in the middle of the street before finally moving out of the way. My skin crawled for a few seconds, so maybe the movie did get me a bit?

But it threw in so much random and unnecessarily bizarre comedic moments that I honestly laughed out loud more than I felt scared for the most part. I know what they were trying to do, but, for example, the kid in the glasses talking about his sexual prowess and the size of his penis every ten minutes was needlessly over the top and kinda pulled me out of it.

Below isn't *REALLY* a spoiler, it just talks about my feelings towards how they ended it. There are no actual spoilers, but you may be able to add 2 & 2 and get 5 from reading it.

[spoil]Also, as much as I hate the original, and I loathe the hell out of it, I almost felt cheated they chose to end it how they did. Not going to say anything else to avoid spoilers, but I just felt they changed things for the sake of changing them, and not for any real plot or story reason.[/spoil]

The Billy scene..

[spoil]where he meets pennywise was fantastic. Pennywise is drooling the whole time and when he genuinely starts to make Billy happy and laugh he shuts it down with that chilling evil dead stare, that in return makes Billy uncomfortable. Pennywise obviously feeds off fear and once Billy started to show signs of joy he went back into creepy clown mode. It was an awesome scene[/spoil]

Best part of the movie. I literally almost died :laugh:

[spoil]Glasses kid when Billy tells them to leave him to die with Pennywise: "Billy, I can't do this. You made me come down here, almost got me killed, there's no way out *casually and nonchalantly picks up baseball bat* and now I'm gonna have to kill this ****ing clown![/spoil]

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Saw it yesterday. I dont watch a lot of horror movies because to be honest they often times have pretty terrible story lines and I'm also just generally not a fan of the genre.

That said, this movie was actually pretty solid. Though I think a big part of why I enjoyed it was maybe more because I didn't think of it as much of a horror movie while watching it. It tried to be a horror movie and perhaps even tried to hard to do this. A couple of scenes were legitimately creepy but most of the scenes that tried to emphasize horror I felt were a tad forced and came off as a bit cheesy.

The character development was pretty solid though. A little bit more of the development of the kids families could have made it even better, but it did a great job of developing the kids backgrounds at least.

The dialogue was probably the best part of the entire movie. Obviously the kid with glasses had some absolutely brilliantly funny lines, but even everyone else had some good lines that I thought fit well with the narrative of there stories and the characters they were. The dialogue really seemed to flow quite well between them all and was not forced or out of line very much at all.

Definitely think the scene with Billy off the start was one of the creepiest as well. Brilliantly done by Skarsgard.

Overall, probably the first horror movie I've actually went to see in theatres in at least the last 5+ years, and came out of it pretty satisfied and happy with the decision to see it. A solid 7-7.5/10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad