Movies: Stephen King's It (Reboot)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
having not read the book (but I'm aware of some things that happen and in the mini series) i loved the 2nd meaning behind the "we all float down here"

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I just saw it today with other fans of the book and mini-series.

We all loved it. Some very minor nit-picks here and there ( I was hoping for Eddie to unleash some battery acid hell on Pennywise ) but I thought it was an A+ remake.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely hilarious. The kid that played Eddie was insanely good. Hope he gets a different fate than the original.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I still find some movies scare me now a days. I think for me it's mostly about atmosphere than actual scares though. For example, I found It Comes At Night very scary at times when almost nothing was happening, just because of how tense it all was. Ditto for The Witch and It Follows.

The scares in It felt fairly conventional. Not in a bad way, but as I mentioned above, imo it felt more like an adventure movie than a horror movie for the majority of the film.

No complaints from me though. I still enjoyed the hell out of the movie.

Yeah, probably one of my favorites in recent years is the French show The Returned. Creates a wonderful atmosphere of creepiness and dread while rarely resorting to the common shock horror elements we see in most horror productions.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_returned/s01/

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah, probably one of my favorites in recent years is the French show The Returned. Creates a wonderful atmosphere of creepiness and dread while rarely resorting to the common shock horror elements we see in most horror productions.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_returned/s01/

I agree with you 100%, I just hate when legitimately kinda creepy movies fall into the old stereotypical movie cliches we all know.

One of the scariest movies I have ever seen is 1942's "The Cat People", and it didn't even show a monster on screen once.

What you don't see is 10,000x scarier than what you do.

Alfred Hitchcock said it best; "When a bomb goes off, it's action. When it doesn't go off, it's suspense."

As far as horror goes, less is very often more

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is there a streaming service i can watch this on?

I believe it's still available on Netflix.

Make sure you get the original subtitled French version, not the American remake. It's worth watching with subtitles--the American remake didn't come close to capturing the same atmosphere.

It deserves the 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I agree with you 100%, I just hate when legitimately kinda creepy movies fall into the old stereotypical movie cliches we all know.

One of the scariest movies I have ever seen is 1942's "The Cat People", and it didn't even show a monster on screen once.

What you don't see is 10,000x scarier than what you do.

Alfred Hitchcock said it best; "When a bomb goes off, it's action. When it doesn't go off, it's suspense."

As far as horror goes, less is very often more

Disturbing movie. Didn't they also make a remake of that in the 70's or 80's. I'm pretty sure that is one I also saw.

Edit: Just checked 1982.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Great example of what I'd like to see more often: a horror movie that is good regardless of whether or not its intent to scare works. The scare factor, while key when that's all a movie hangs it hat on, shouldn't be the only measure by which to judge them.

If that was all there was to evaluate It, it wouldn't fare so well in my books. The use of CGI is often unnecessary and seldom convincing, leaving the creepiest moments to be, as they often are, the more subdued moments. I wasn't frightened by this movie and I feel like we don't get enough time with Pennywise as Pennywise to get a menacing personality out of him.

That being said, I'll gladly accept all that considering what the rest of the movie is. We get a character-based drama that just happens to also have a supernatural evil pushing the story forward. The root of many of the fears the characters experience come from a very real, dark place. The film can be genuinely touching with its coming-of-age themes. Add some hilarious foul language from preteens and It makes for quite an entertaining ride.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just got back. Loved it. Not just because it was scary, which it was, but because it was made to be more than just a run of the mill horror flick.

It felt like they decided to make a good movie that was also a horror.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Watched it. Loved it as well. One thing that troubled me more than it should. I'm going to put this in spoilers even though it really doesn't spoil much..

[SPOIL]When Richie found the lost poster of himself in the house it got me thinking more about his character. It struck me as unusual that the other characters interacted with their parents/guardians more than him, all had some fairly significant quirks/flaws except him. He stood out from the group in many ways and it was at least for that moment believable that he could have been a kid that was already "floating" and somehow visible only to the children of the town like many of IT's illusions. Did he interact with any adults? I know he asked for a kiss from what's his names mom but I don't think she ever reacted to it. I understand this is probably a character form the book and very likely real but it's fun to analyze the movie. What's his deal?
[/SPOIL]

Last edited:

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Watched it. Loved it as well. One thing that troubled me more than it should. I'm going to put this in spoilers even though it really doesn't spoil much..

[SPOIL]When Richie found the lost poster of himself in the house it got me thinking more about his character. It struck me as unusual that the other characters interacted with their parents/guardians more than him, all had some fairly significant quirks/flaws except him. He stood out from the group in many ways and it was at least for that moment believable that he could have been a kid that was already "floating" and somehow visible only to the children of the town like many of IT's illusions. Did he interact with any adults? I know he asked for a kiss from what's his names mom but I don't think she ever reacted to it. I understand this is probably a character form the book and very likely real but it's fun to analyze the movie. What's his deal?
[/SPOIL]

This occurred to me as well. But then I got to thinking about the book, and Richie really is one the more well adjusted kids of the seven.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013

[/SPOIL]
[SPOIL]Not sure if Richie's family gets more coverage in the book, but I think there would be a lot of hurdles to go over to justify Richie as a floating kid already. We don't see Ben's family either, even if he did interact with that librarian. The missing poster is a peculiar device given how it's typically used, but at the same time It manifests through the fears of the kids. I think it's reasonable to assume that by this point in the story being taken and suffering the fate of the other missing kids would be a very real fear of Richie's.

It was interesting how Richie's experience with Pennywise happened well after everybody else, but at least it was acknowledged through one of the film's many funny lines.[/SPOIL]

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I saw it last night. Had a full theatre for the late show.

Definitely enjoyable, but I did have a couple of annoyances. They were too heavy on the jump scares in the first bit, but film picked up as it focused more on the kids. There were also a lot of very one dimensional roles, particularly the bullies and parents.

It really was a fun ride though. The scares a predictable, but still well done and fun, and the main characters were all relatable.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I found it distracting that the kid from Stranger Things was cast in yet another film about small town outcasts teaming up to battle a monster that has kidnapped/killed someone's little brother

Last edited:

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
I found it distracting that the kid from Stranger Things was cast in yet another film about small town outcasts teaming up to battle a monster that has kidnapped/killed someone's little brother
Set in the 80s too. But considering those similarities, the two characters couldn't be more different. Foul-mouthed wiseass vs. quiet leader.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I thought a lot of the scares were incredibly telegraphed, was very obvious when the jump scares were coming and they didn't do a lot of misdirects so was always expecting them. Still a very enjoyable theatre experience

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I thought a lot of the scares were incredibly telegraphed, was very obvious when the jump scares were coming and they didn't do a lot of misdirects so was always expecting them. Still a very enjoyable theatre experience

Agreed with the jumpscares. The projector one got me and was by far the best one. They built up the suspense with this one and it was well done.

Jumpscares were pretty obvious to see but the movie had a creepy and unsettling tone the whole time and that was amazing. I was terrified during some of the scenes due to how creepy it was. Really well done horror.

[spoil]When Georgie went down to the basement during the first few minutes of the movie and you see the "glowing eyes" I got chills[/spoil]

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he was cast in It before Stranger Things was even released. It just so happened that the latter blew up and that it shares more than a few similarities with It.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I thought he would be distracting but he played a totally different character. He was enjoyable.

I liked the flick, but I didn't think it was that scary.

[SPOIL]One thing that bothered me was how they all somehow ended up being alone at times. In reality, would any of them really separate?

Except for the girl at home of course.[/SPOIL]

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

[/SPOIL]

[Spoil]That also bothered me, especially since he was the only one to be conveniently left standing watch when they cleaned the blood at Beverly's place, so he never saw that (or any of It's manifestations)
until the very end. [/spoil]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad