Stepane DaCosta Appreciation Thread

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
one of our best forwards

to complain about his play of all the players is pretty dumb imo

Exactly. People complaining about our best player as if everything else going smoothly.

lol at people saying negatives about da costa. we've scored nine in eight games, whie he has looked outstanding. people aren't finishing on his plays, but he's not finishing either, NO ONE IS. not his fault. he is not like locke, locke had no wheels, da costa does. locke never looked as good as da costa has on this call-up and at times last season in a single game or shift he played in the nhl. da costa's points will come. da costa is in no way one dimensional offensively. he'll go to the dirty areas, shoot, dangle, or pass. it's only a matter of time.

AT gets it. You and I know what DaCosta is capable of.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
He makes some nice plays in space, but he sucks along the boards. I don't think he won a single puck battle in the Devils game today.

Last edited:

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Everyone is entitled to an off game, but it's less acceptable... Rather impatience is heightened when it's a guy with not much history behind him. Still, I am confident the points will come and he'll be rewarded for his efforts.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Personally I'm not sold on Da Costa. Although many people on these boards like him, I find he gives the puck up more than not, he always tries the same move which never works. His vision for a playmaker is average, and he is as physical as a tulip. I'd say a rugged version of Bryan Smolinski. He has great hands though, would love to see him get some open ice to do some damage next few games.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be interesting to see who is sent back to Bingo when Regin returns, you know if he returns & isn't out for the season again. :shakehead

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Grant most likely since he is only playing 6 minutes a game.

Yea, you may be right ... although moving Regin to the wing for a couple of games wouldn't be all bad & sitting out Daugavins. Grant is going to be an NHL player he has some good skill & size & just needs to adjust to the speed & quick decision making in the NHL. He could be less than a yr away.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Personally I'm not sold on Da Costa. Although many people on these boards like him, I find he gives the puck up more than not, he always tries the same move which never works. His vision for a playmaker is average, and he is as physical as a tulip. I'd say a rugged version of Bryan Smolinski. He has great hands though, would love to see him get some open ice to do some damage next few games.

wow, i completely disagree with this scouting report.
Id say of the players on this team only Spezza, Karlsson, and Alfie have better vision and the hands to make the vision happen, he also IMO is the best one on one player we have left as well.
He has played physical even though thats not his game.

He is a rugged version of smolinski that has way better better puck skills, shot, and vision.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
wow, i completely disagree with this scouting report.
Id say of the players on this team only Spezza, Karlsson, and Alfie have better vision and the hands to make the vision happen, he also IMO is the best one on one player we have left as well.
He has played physical even though thats not his game.

He is a rugged version of smolinski that has way better better puck skills, shot, and vision.

:amazed:

That is a bold statement. Bryan Smolinski scored 651 points in the NHL. If Da Costa has way better offensive tools he should be putting up 800 + points in his career.

I like Da Costa but if he even sniffs the kind of career Smoke had, it'll be a huge surprise.

Da Costa has shown some really nice skills and hasn't shied away from hits (generally). As Aragorn pointed out though, he hasn't produced as of yet. 32 Games into his NHL career he's managed 6 points. I'm willing to be patient because he HAS shown some skill, something that is sorely lacking on this team right now. Sooner or later though he has to start putting up points.

By comparison Bryan Smolinski put up 31 goals and 51 points in his first full NHL season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would love to see a table setter like DaBosta paired with a Sharpshooter like Silfverberg.

God forbid this happens....

He was playing with Neil and Greening probably the worst possible linemates for him. I just cant understand the hatred, he is the only forward consistently creating offense on this team and you are complaining about him?

John Holmes*

He was playing with Neil and Greening probably the worst possible linemates for him. I just cant understand the hatred, he is the only forward consistently creating offense on this team and you are complaining about him?

Welcome to hfboards.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Fans on this board are too quick to pass judgement on players and too hasty in pronouncing a player a future star.

DaCosta didn't play well against NJ and it had nothing to do with his linemates. He made poor decisions with the puck and was for the most part ineffective.

So what? Young players are notoriously inconsistent. Why would anyone assume DaCosta would be different?

DaCosta has shown signs he could be an effective NHL player. However until he can demonstrate his skills on a nightly basis for at least a reasonable period of time, any proclamation he is destined for stardom is premature to say the least.

The same applies to Smith, Turris, Silf, Wiercoich, Cowen, Gryba and Zib. All show flashes of skill and NHL capability, the key is doing it nightly, game after game.

It is then and only then that the Sens can be considered contenders and any of these prospects more than solid contributors.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
:amazed:

That is a bold statement. Bryan Smolinski scored 651 points in the NHL. If Da Costa has way better offensive tools he should be putting up 800 + points in his career.

I like Da Costa but if he even sniffs the kind of career Smoke had, it'll be a huge surprise.

Da Costa has shown some really nice skills and hasn't shied away from hits (generally). As Aragorn pointed out though, he hasn't produced as of yet. 32 Games into his NHL career he's managed 6 points. I'm willing to be patient because he HAS shown some skill, something that is sorely lacking on this team right now. Sooner or later though he has to start putting up points.

By comparison Bryan Smolinski put up 31 goals and 51 points in his first full NHL season.

bah, i had a whole argument based on:

i dont need to see Smoke's stat sheet. i saw him play - many games.
Dacosta has more ability that smolinski ever had. he has a better shot, much better hands, and way better vision and if this were....

i stopped there and said to myself - Smoke played a thousand games in the NHL and DaCosta may never hit 50.
that probably says it all.

IMO if Dacosta gets a long enough chance and stays in the league as a top 2 center i think he'll show to be a far better player.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
bah, i had a whole argument based on:

i dont need to see Smoke's stat sheet. i saw him play - many games.
Dacosta has more ability that smolinski ever had. he has a better shot, much better hands, and way better vision and if this were....

i stopped there and said to myself - Smoke played a thousand games in the NHL and DaCosta may never hit 50.
that probably says it all.

IMO if Dacosta gets a long enough chance and stays in the league as a top 2 center i think he'll show to be a far better player.

Let's hope so!! :yo:

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
The key to earning a living as a centre in the NHL appears to be your face-offs.

That's just it, he was very strong on the dot. Also, he was starting to show up on the scoresheet, 2 points in 4 games prior to his last game. I can't count his last game. He played a whole 6 minutes worth of hockey. But in the 4 games prior to that he could have had 3-4 points. I still like his chances of making it in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad