Sportsnet: Stellick - How the Leafs traded their way to success

TheThrill81*

None of these are star players. None of these are guys you can really build a good team around. Guys like Luke Schenn, Alexander Steen, Carlo Colaiacovo, Jiri Tlusty... their play began to decline the longer they stayed in Toronto. I think it's highly unrealistic to expect that Tyler Seguin would've become the player he is today, had he been drafted a Leaf.

None of those players you mentioned had half the hype Seguin did going in their respective drafts. And Luke Schenn certainly hasn't gotten better since he left Toronto. Same goes for Colaiacovo. Tlusty's best production came in the lockout shortened season playing with E. Staal and Semin, and now he's back down to Earth this season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
WHy is Seguin being brought up? Seguin would have become Seguin if here but it doesn't matter and at the time of the deal for Kessel it was inconceivable that we would be picking in the top 10 let alone 5 or 2 in Burkes mind after we got him.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
WHy is Seguin being brought up? Seguin would have become Seguin if here but it doesn't matter and at the time of the deal for Kessel it was inconceivable that we would be picking in the top 10 let alone 5 or 2 in Burkes mind after we got him.

Top 10 was possible but no one (I mean no one who didn't have an inherent bias or chicken little syndrome) had them pegged as a lottery team (don't believe me go look at all the oddsmakers who didn't have them there).

hockeyfanz*

Success? All they've done is earn points unjustly.

Opportunistic team with very good goaltending...might be good enough to make the playoffs but not enough to be a serious contender. Bernier/Reimer is really the biggest difference between this team and JFJ teams that preceeded. Put Toskala/Raycroft in net for this team...see how much success follows.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Top 10 was possible but no one (I mean no one who didn't have an inherent bias or chicken little syndrome) had them pegged as a lottery team (don't believe me go look at all the oddsmakers who didn't have them there).

I call shenanigans.

Back in the day Mess posted the Vegas odds of the leafs winning the cup going into the TS draft season and they had us right there with the cellar dwellers.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

By inherent bias, don't you mean, the ones that took their blue and white tinted sun glasses off?

Those that had the guts to call it like THEY saw it, those not afraid to get nailed to the cross for upsetting the delicate sensibility's of the optimistic fans?

hockeyfanz*

By inherent bias, don't you mean, the ones that took their blue and white tinted sun glasses off?

Those that had the guts to call it like THEY saw it, those not afraid to get nailed to the cross for upsetting the delicate sensibility's of the optimistic fans?

Chiarelli was the quiet soft spoken GM who made the deal with the Leafs cause he knew exactly what the Leafs were even though the loudmout ego maniac who thought he could turn the franchise around in one fell swoop didnt. Love the Burkites who defend him with their double speak.....as in he was left garbage...the cupboards were bare and they had no goaltending out one side of their mouths while out the other side saying that nobody knew how bad a team the Leafs actually were including the fathead.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah no one saw it coming. It's all good now though, Kessel is fantastic.

It's funny the "fans" that quit on the Team after that have now scurried back that things are looking better.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009

LMAO I joined HFBoards right around that time and the hype around that team was unreal before the start of the season. I remember the few posters who were skeptical or critical of the team were getting roasted in every thread they posted their opinion in. I used to think they were just ****** or trolls from other teams, but over time I've realized that they were some of the only objective posters on this forum.

Today, the team is a better than the 2010 team, but it still has issues. I don't see how we've really achieved anything noteworthy with this group. I guess you could call ending one of the longest playoff droughts in NHL history and following it up with one of the worst single game meltdowns in playoff history a success, but it sure didn't feel like it at the time.

TheThrill81*

The fact that you label only the biased ones as objective proves that you do infact have an inherent bias. Funny how that works eh? ;)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Fighting for a playoff spot = Success?

While I like the players we picked up, the team is FAR from successful.

So I'm not sure how the author can say the team traded its way to success, when the team has had no real success at all.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Should have started when JFJ was in charge and Sundin was getting long in the tooth. Our gateway to futility began then IMHO.

JFJ brought a rebuild plan to ownership who told him to try and make the playoffs that year instead so his hands were tied. The story came out years ago.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
None of those players you mentioned had half the hype Seguin did going in their respective drafts. And Luke Schenn certainly hasn't gotten better since he left Toronto. Same goes for Colaiacovo. Tlusty's best production came in the lockout shortened season playing with E. Staal and Semin, and now he's back down to Earth this season.

More hype = more opportunity to disappoint.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I call shenanigans.

Back in the day Mess posted the Vegas odds of the leafs winning the cup going into the TS draft season and they had us right there with the cellar dwellers.

I've looked back through all kinds of odds and didn't see any with the Leafs in a lottery spot.

Look through the list and observe their posting history. Generally speaks for itself. They also tend to play the "pity me" card.

LMAO I joined HFBoards right around that time and the hype around that team was unreal before the start of the season. I remember the few posters who were skeptical or critical of the team were getting roasted in every thread they posted their opinion in. I used to think they were just ****** or trolls from other teams, but over time I've realized that they were some of the only objective posters on this forum.
Today, the team is a better than the 2010 team, but it still has issues. I don't see how we've really achieved anything noteworthy with this group. I guess you could call ending one of the longest playoff droughts in NHL history and following it up with one of the worst single game meltdowns in playoff history a success, but it sure didn't feel like it at the time.

A quick review of their posting history may lead you to other conclusions regarding their "objectivity". You'll find some of them change their stances on a daily basis depending on which axe they are trying to grind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Chiarelli was the quiet soft spoken GM who made the deal with the Leafs cause he knew exactly what the Leafs were even though the loudmout ego maniac who thought he could turn the franchise around in one fell swoop didnt. Love the Burkites who defend him with their double speak.....as in he was left garbage...the cupboards were bare and they had no goaltending out one side of their mouths while out the other side saying that nobody knew how bad a team the Leafs actually were including the fathead.

.....actually he stated otherwise publicly.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
A quick review of their posting history may lead you to other conclusions regarding their "objectivity". You'll find some of them change their stances on a daily basis depending on which axe they are trying to grind.

LOL you just described 90% of the posters on this board. Check any thread dedicated to players such as Bozak, Franson, Kessel, Clarkson, Raymond, etc. People get frustrated when players aren't playing to their potential and praise them when they're playing well.
The other 10% are the pure, full blinder homers that make it hard to have a good hockey conversation around here sometimes.
I can only speak for myself, but sorry, I'm not going to waving the pom poms when Phaneuf has another rotten game, or if Kessel bails on a defensive play that leads to a goal. Doesn't mean I have an "axe to grind". Life is too short, and hockey is way too insignificant to hold a personal grudge against an athlete I've never even met.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

Those crazy guys who got called trolls saw things...

Delicious Dangles*

Yeah, that Chiarelli, who knew exactly where Toronto was going to finish, even though he has publicly admitted that he never expected the picks to be that high.

:laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

What a heroic display of martyrdom.

Few people have the guts to speak out against Leafs fans.

:shakehead

:facepalm:

Delicious Dangles*

Every team has issues. That's what people don't seem to realize.

That was not even close to one of the worst meltdowns in playoff history, but yes, it was valuable experience. Probably more of a success than actual success would have been, if you believe that we were not going to win the cup last year either way.

I'm sure Boston fans felt the same way after they blew a 3-0 game lead with a 3-0 series lead, and ending up losing the series. But I don't think they win the cup soon after without that.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
LOL you just described 90% of the posters on this board. Check any thread dedicated to players such as Bozak, Franson, Kessel, Clarkson, Raymond, etc. People get frustrated when players aren't playing to their potential and praise them when they're playing well.
The other 10% are the pure, full blinder homers that make it hard to have a good hockey conversation around here sometimes.
I can only speak for myself, but sorry, I'm not going to waving the pom poms when Phaneuf has another rotten game, or if Kessel bails on a defensive play that leads to a goal. Doesn't mean I have an "axe to grind". Life is too short, and hockey is way too insignificant to hold a personal grudge against an athlete I've never even met.

Funny you pull out the homer line but ignore the small percentage of people who ***** and complain about every move, every player, GM, coach, fan, non stop. They make it even harder to have such a discussion.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Pretty sure Burke said Nonis put together the Phaneuf trade as well in concept and the final details were probably hammer out after by Burke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad