Sportsnet: Stellick - How the Leafs traded their way to success

ForSpareParts*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/how-the-leafs-have-traded-their-way-to-success/

Quotes:

"Because the first of his big trades lingered as controversial sore points for Leafs fans, Burke’s overall trade record is largely forgotten. Possibly the lingering bitterness of giving up too much via trade to acquire unsuccessful goalies like Andrew Raycroft and Vesa Toskala was a factor as well. But, let’s take a look objectively at Burke’s overall body of work when it comes to recent Leaf trades."

"Kessel, Phaneuf, Bernier, Lupul, Gardiner, Van Riemsdyk, Bolland and Gleason—all acquired via trade. Something that should give Leaf fans cause for excitement as we count down the remaining weeks of the NHL trade deadline."

I don't about you, but at this year's trade deadline I'm making popcorn.

Trade Leafs Trade!

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
It's fun to look at our lineup in terms of who brought it which players.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel = Burke - Burke - Burke
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson = Burke - Burke - Nonis
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin = Nonis - Nonis - JFJ
Holland - McClement - Orr - McLaren = Nonis - Burke - Burke - Burke

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson = Burke - JFJ
Gleason - Franson = Nonis - Burke
Rielly - Gardiner = Burke - Burke
Fraser - Ranger = Burke - Nonis (well, Burke for his Marlies stint)

Bernier = Nonis
Reimer = JFJ

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

JVR - Bozak - Kessel = Burke - Burke - Burke
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson = Burke - Burke - Nonis
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin = Nonis - Nonis - Nonis
Holland - McClement - Orr - McLaren = Nonis - Burke - Burke - Burke

Fraser - Ranger = Burke - Nonis (well, Burke for his Marlies stint)

Bernier = Nonis
Reimer = JFJ

Kulemin was drafted during the JFJ days

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The distinction was made in the article.

Yes I read the article once the link was posted and made my distinction in the post above yours. Quotes taken out of context seem to place the trades on Burke, the article clears it up a bit but still make it sound like Burke is the sole reason the Leafs have been trading.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I don't even remember what we gave up for Bernier

What a pickup that was

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't even remember what we gave up for Bernier

What a pickup that was

Apparently we gave up a solid starter and future right winger who played like Dustin Brown. He has 6 points to this date.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Apparently we gave up a solid starter and future right winger who played like Dustin Brown. He has 6 points to this date.
Lol i remember all the people saying Frattin will be a 30-40 goal scorer, what a joke. Then everyone thought Scrivens was so good because he was isolated by LA's defence, look at him now in Edmonton.

I really think we should stay away from "big name" free agents, never seem to have luck with those... Unless its a superstar like Stamkos or Tavares, enough of the big long contracts to mediocre free agents, always seem to cripple us.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/how-the-leafs-have-traded-their-way-to-success/

Quotes:

"Because the first of his big trades lingered as controversial sore points for Leafs fans, Burke’s overall trade record is largely forgotten. Possibly the lingering bitterness of giving up too much via trade to acquire unsuccessful goalies like Andrew Raycroft and Vesa Toskala was a factor as well. But, let’s take a look objectively at Burke’s overall body of work when it comes to recent Leaf trades."

"Kessel, Phaneuf, Bernier, Lupul, Gardiner, Van Riemsdyk, Bolland and Gleason—all acquired via trade. Something that should give Leaf fans cause for excitement as we count down the remaining weeks of the NHL trade deadline."

I don't about you, but at this year's trade deadline I'm making popcorn.

Trade Leafs Trade!

LOL I am making popcorn too.:laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
5-10 years from now the Bernier trade is going to be talked about as one of this decade's most lopsided moves. We gave up a back-up goalie, and a top 9 forward to get IMO a young stud #1 goalie. I don't care what Kings fans say, they got jack squat for him. Whats even more funny is that a team is going to overpay at the deadline for a Ryan Miller or over-pay in the off-season. The Leafs have their #1 goalie for the next decade+ for basic spare parts. And a team like Minnesota/St.Louis are probably going to give up a 2nd rounder plus a prospect, heck they might even give up a first who knows. All I know is I love the Bernier trade now and we all will love it more down the road. Absolute steal by Nonis. Any team could've had him last summer.

TheThrill81*

I'm glad to see outrageous statements haven't made their way into this thread yet. :sarcasm:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Definitely lost some decent pieces in trades early on, but we really have put together a good series of trades over the past few years to assemble the roster.

Is a comfort that the team can make intelligent trades. Though unfortunate that free agency is a bust for us :)

TheThrill81*

Lol i remember all the people saying Frattin will be a 30-40 goal scorer, what a joke.

I am quite positive the overwhelmingly majority did not think Frattin would be a 30-40 goal scorer.

Then everyone thought Scrivens was so good because he was isolated by LA's defence, look at him now in Edmonton.

He did play great in LA, but realistically he was only filling in until Quick returned. He's had 3 starts so far in Edmonton...

1-4 L @ MIN : 29/33, .879 sv%
1-2 L vs VAN : 25/27, .926
5-1 W vs NSH : 34/35, .971

So what did you mean by look at him now?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Definitely lost some decent pieces in trades early on, but we really have put together a good series of trades over the past few years to assemble the roster.

Is a comfort that the team can make intelligent trades. Though unfortunate that free agency is a bust for us :)

The good thing is, is that Nonis doesn't mind retaining salary to get contracts off the books. And obviously we have the monetary might to handle it as well. That's why when other fans talk and laugh at the Clarkson contract, I also laugh because they don't realize that Nonis has the ability and the kahunas to retain salary to make a move.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
The JVR, Phaneuf, and Lupul/Gardiner trades are obvious wins for our team. A lot of people are even coming around on the Kessel trade, realizing exactly what it did for us.

But the Bernier trade? The Bernier trade has the potential to define a Leafs era, much like the Sundin and Gilmour trades.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

JVR - Bozak - Kessel = Burke - Burke/Nonis - Burke
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson = Burke/Nonis - Burke - Nonis
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin = Nonis - Nonis - JFJ
Holland - McClement - Orr - McLaren = Nonis - Burke/Nonis - Burke - Nonis

Fraser - Ranger = Nonis- Nonis (well, Burke for his Marlies stint)

Bernier = Nonis
Reimer = JFJ

Mclaren was a Nonis move, Fraser was more of a Marlies move that turned out well the year after for Nonis, who was the Marlies GM for all intensive purposes.

Lupul, Orr, Bozak are all on new deals under Nonis as well. They didn't have to re-sign here, so Nonis gets cred for them being here now. IMO.

contour

Mar 31, 2011
The JVR, Phaneuf, and Lupul/Gardiner trades are obvious wins for our team. A lot of people are even coming around on the Kessel trade, realizing exactly what it did for us.

But the Bernier trade? The Bernier trade has the potential to define a Leafs era, much like the Sundin and Gilmour trades.

I don't think any particular trade will define the Leafs era. But it's a combination of the five trades:

1. Kessel Trade
2. Getting Lupul
3. Bernier
4. Phaneuf
5. JvR

All those players above are core Leaf players that have signed (or previously signed with their former team) to long-term contracts (except Bernier). And if Bernier keeps up his play, he will be signed to a long term contract as well.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I am quite positive the overwhelmingly majority did not think Frattin would be a 30-40 goal scorer.

He did play great in LA, but realistically he was only filling in until Quick returned. He's had 3 starts so far in Edmonton...

1-4 L @ MIN : 29/33, .879 sv%
1-2 L vs VAN : 25/27, .926
5-1 W vs NSH : 34/35, .971

So what did you mean by look at him now?
Bunch of people were saying that when he was playing in the AHL, even commentators would say things like "This guy has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer, hes got everything for it". This was mainly when he first came out of NCAA, so much hype over the guy. Go look at the trade thread, bunch of people were upset that we gave up Frattin.

Maybe i should have said a 20-30 goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00