Trade: Stefon Diggs, 2025 5th and 2025 6th to the Texans for 2025 2nd (Minnesota)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
His cap hit would have been 28M for Bills and now instead they are carrying 31M, so they lost 3M in cap space

Speaks volumes about the situation that was going

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His cap hit would have been 28M for Bills and now instead they are carrying 31M, so they lost 3M in cap space

Speaks volumes about the situation that was going
He wasn't going to get cheaper. If he had $31 mill in dead money, he was still getting $18/19 mill in salary in each of the next 2 seasons. So, the cap charge was going to be in the higher 20's for him.

Restructuring is all good until the day you move off a player. Then all of the restructuring that you deferred hit the books.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Unbelievable. A team already with holes at their biggest position of need trades away their one reliable reciever. Yes, I'm aware that he fell off hard in the 2nd half last year but wtf
Last 100 yard game was mid Oct , last TD was late November. He became average right before our eyes and dropped a key pass VS KC..
Kick rocks.

Reactions: VaporTrail

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He wasn't going to get cheaper. If he had $31 mill in dead money, he was still getting $18/19 mill in salary in each of the next 2 seasons. So, the cap charge was going to be in the higher 20's for him.

Restructuring is all good until the day you move off a player. Then all of the restructuring that you deferred hit the books.

The point was the relationship really had to be in a bad place for them to do a trade like this

This wasn’t done to gain assets or cap space, just to get rid of him, for a team supposed to be a contender it speaks volumes

Reactions: TheAngryHank

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
And will his absence have an adverse effect on Kincaid since he will now likely get much more attention with Diggs gone?
With Samuel and cook /Shakir who ever they draft can spread it out but will likely shorten the field.Josh delivers on target and I can see them hammering Cook.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Thing is only one ball and Houston has better or as good WR as Diggs, he won't get touches and it probably gets ugly quick.

With Samuel and cook /Shakir who ever they draft can spread it out but will likely shorten the field.Josh delivers on target and I can see them hammering Cook.

So Buffalo will able to spread it out amongst their remaining receivers but Houston can't amongst what's now one of the strongest receiving cores in the league?

There will be plenty of targets to go around in Houston. We'll probably see 40+ pass attempts a game - the offense is entirely built around letting Stroud make plays.

If Diggs isn't getting the opportunity he feels he deserves, it'll be because he just isn't performing well enough, not because he's being ignored for other receivers.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
So Buffalo will able to spread it out amongst their remaining receivers but Houston can't amongst what's now one of the strongest receiving cores in the league?

There will be plenty of targets to go around in Houston. We'll probably see 40+ pass attempts a game - the offense is entirely built around letting Stroud make plays.

If Diggs isn't getting the opportunity he feels he deserves, it'll be because he just isn't performing well enough, not because he's being ignored for other receivers.
Yes ,Houston will spread it out no doubt. 2 seasons ago Diggs was the first WR off the board in fantasy , this season he likely isn't the first off the board on his own team. Dell or Collins will go ahead of Diggs..he'll maybe both and they have Noah Brown ( whom I wish was part of the trade) to spread it out. Agreed if Diggs isn't getting the lion share of touches it will be on him, but it's never on him and that's why he isn't in Buffalo or Minny.
If dude was unhappy with Josh slinging it wait till this season with Stroud who isn't Josh ( yet) while in that WR room..

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Wouldn't it have made more sense to move Diggs shortly after the season ended? He also was a ghost the second half of the season and into the playoffs.

Nearly cost my team a fantasy football championship!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Call me crazy, but 2024 was the final year of any large guaranteed money. His base salary of $18.5 mill was fully guaranteed when he signed his extension with Buffalo. He had $3.5 mill of 2025 salary which would become guaranteed in March 2025. So, each year moving forward is an option year in essence.

Not sure I'd pay more guaranteed money for a 30 year old WR. Same goes for Allen of the Bears now. Seems like Houston unlike the Chargers is planning on not having any potential dead cap when Stroud gets his next deal given how they set up the deals for Hunter, Diggs, and others.

Reactions: LT

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I don't think so. AFAIK, the no-tag clause has to be worked into the contract.

That's in theory. In practice, it sounds highly unlikely he would be tagged:

Yeah I highly doubt they would tag him, but who knows if he has a monster year and is a model citizen maybe they would consider it just to give them more time to come up with a multiyear deal that worked

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think so. AFAIK, the no-tag clause has to be worked into the contract.

That's in theory. In practice, it sounds highly unlikely he would be tagged:

Allen in Chicago is at $23.1 mill this season. Just not going to pay long term guaranteed money to a 30 year old WR. Can't imagine either guy getting tagged in 2025. Not when WR is like the deepest pool of talent in each draft these days. You find and pay a WR1, but come age 30, have to find a new WR1 when they come off their 2nd contract.

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah I highly doubt they would tag him, but who knows if he has a monster year and is a model citizen maybe they would consider it just to give them more time to come up with a multiyear deal that worked
Maybe, but with Nico Collins needing to be paid as well, I suspect they view Diggs as a pure rental.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad