Prospect Info: Stefan Noesen - top 6 upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Holmes*

He has better junior numbers.

I'm starting to lean towards the "where are they all going to fit" side more than the "probably won't make it" side.

We could have 3 scoring lines in the very near future.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

I'm starting to lean towards the "where are they all going to fit" side more than the "probably won't make it" side.

It may get to a point where guys bolt upward and some level off, it could be as simple as the encouragement from the team "choosing" you, and giving you all kinds of opportunities as opposed to kind of getting a little discouraged by not being one of the guys the team is putting at the front of the line.

We'll probably be free to let go of decent RFAs that are demanding better contracts because we have kids to replace them that may be just as good, or better, and cheaper. That's why you've gotta keep developing kids, someday that 1st rounder you got in 20?? is going to want a raise and you're hoping that 4th rounder you got in 200? is now capable of replacing him for next to nothing.

It gets to a point where not only do you have to make the right draft picks, but you also have to make the right decisions on who you want to put in the lineup. Most often after you've made the picks, you know some of those 1st and 2nds are gonna HAVE TO make your lineup or you're screwed....teams that draft well benefit from significant competition that goes on beyond the NHL roster. It's all a good recipe.

Noesen's the type of guy that may fast track just because he's so endearing with his competitiveness.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Just so I don't seem to biased, I think Puempel will actually bust.

Obviously too early to tell and I don't have any facts other than a mediocre season to back it up, it's just an out of left field theory of mine.

Cool beans.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL

Obviously too early to tell and I don't have any facts other than a mediocre season to back it up, it's just an out of left field theory of mine.

Cool beans.

After watching Puempel play for 5 or so games at the end of last season, I disagree. Guy jumped into the AHL and looked like he should have been there all season. Granted he may end up like a Bobby Butler, but he sure showed me something.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
After watching Puempel play for 5 or so games at the end of last season, I disagree. Guy jumped into the AHL and looked like he should have been there all season. Granted he may end up like a Bobby Butler, but he sure showed me something.
Again, I'm not saying anything other than I just have some weird feeling he won't live up to his potential.

Nothing to back it up, other than a really disappointing OHL season where it was originally expected that he could contend for a spot on the WJ team, and instead had a season full of injuries, 9-game suspensions, and poor play. Still, I really hope he can turn his game around with Kitchener this year. I still really think Puempel can reach his potential, just have a feeling right now that he won't.

If anything helps, it's that he'll get to play in Kitchener instead of the current OHL hell-hole that is the Peterborough Petes.

Marklar*

Seen Noesen enough, "Manked". Him and Foligno play almost the exact same way. Noesen is the better goal scorer with better long-range goal scoring ability due to his slapper. They are very, very, very similar players. If Noesen scores close to 20 goals, 50 points like Foligno can, that's good.

been on this board for about 2 weeks and am getting really irritated by the "you haven't seen him - go watch him play, etc." comments that are thrown around like candy out of a white van.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Seen Noesen enough, "Manked". Him and Foligno play almost the exact same way. Noesen is the better goal scorer with better long-range goal scoring ability due to his slapper. They are very, very, very similar players. If Noesen scores close to 20 goals, 50 points like Foligno can, that's good.

been on this board for about 2 weeks and am getting really irritated by the "you haven't seen him - go watch him play, etc." comments that are thrown around like candy out of a white van.

I hear you on that one...

Marklar*

Great post as usual John Holmes. Great poster, along with MoO. Nice to see some non-high school posters with actual concrete, solid opinions on here.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Cool beans.

Just don't get into the habit of feeling like you have to validate yourself by being an anti-homer. The group of Sens fans that said Karlsson would never amount to anything more than a point producing circus act look mighty stupid...some of them just wanted to sound smart and impartial.

I don't think anyone's had a good enough look at Puempel since we drafted him to have a good idea. If that keeps up, he won't get anywhere.

John Holmes*

The next time Foligno scores 20 and gets 50 Pts will be the first.

So you are saying that Noesen plays the same style as Foligno, but he can actually put the puck in the net?

Ok.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

If Noesen got near 50 points like Foligno, I'd be pumped.

The reason I threw away that comment, which I apologize for making, was because there styles are not similar at all. Noesen doesn't dance like Foligno does. Foligno doesn't make straight lines. Noesen does. Folgino racks up a ton of hits, but Noesen does it in a completely different way. I just don't see a resemblance on the way they play the game. The only comparison I see is their potential offensive stats.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

So you are saying that Noesen plays the same style as Foligno, but he can actually put the puck in the net?

Ok.

Noesen's probably a little better in several qualities than Foligno is. Whether it translates into the NHL is hard to say but his competitiveness/work ethic bodes well for him.

He's more talented.

Marklar*

Ok.

Foligno scored 30 goals and 12 playoff goals in his season after being drafted. They both showed good scoring ability in junior. I didn't say Noesen wasn't better offensively. Doesn't mean that will translate. We all know mostly every 1st round pick will be good producers in junior.

go ask USA hockey people if they think they play similar styles. They are hitters, net crashers. Noesen better on a PP and better offensively, as I have already stated.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Noesen's probably a little better in several qualities than Foligno is. Whether it translates into the NHL is hard to say but his competitiveness/work ethic bodes well for him.

He's more talented.
This, I certainly agree with.

Also, I think Noesen has worse hands in the neutral zone, but a lot better hands in front of the net.

If you think I'm crazy and that they are the same thing, here's what I mean. Some players can go around in the neutral zone and deke and doodle around everyone. Foligno's pretty good at that. Then, there are players who have that around the net good hands, where the puck can be bouncing with 8 bodies around the net, and they'll find a way to get control and put it in the net. Noesen is MILES better than Foligno in terms of this.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Foligno scored 30 goals and 12 playoff goals in his season after being drafted. They both showed good scoring ability in junior. I didn't say Noesen wasn't better offensively. Doesn't mean that will translate. We all know mostly every 1st round pick will be good producers in junior.

go ask USA hockey people if they think they play similar styles. They are hitters, net crashers. Noesen better on a PP and better offensively, as I have already stated.

Foligno scored 31 in 66 games in his first season after his draft year, as a 19 year old.

Noesen scored 38 in 63 games in his first season after being drafted as a 18 year old.

If you go by point totals it is closer, but still favors Noesen. The fact that Noesen showed up looking like an MMA fighter at the prospect camp also has me giddy.

Foligno never played in the top 6 of a world junior tournament, which is almost a certainty at this point for Noesen, with a possibility for a first line role.

They play similar styles, Noesen just does it better when you compare them at similar stages.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Having picked Noesen 21st overall in a pretty good draft yr tells me that the Sens are pretty high on this kid & he could likely be Alfie's replacement when he decides to hang them up which could be after next season.

The only down side to me is that he is an American & may want to play back in the US some day specifically Dallas, since he is a Texan but that won't be for a few yrs, hopefully he falls in love with Ottawa. After next season there should be another good class of prospects graduating to the pros with Noesen, Puempel, Sdao, Ceci, Dreigder & Maidens available for Ottawa or Bingo. And a few AHLers who could be ready to graduate to Ottawa next yr or mid-yr like Lehner, Zibanejad, Hoffman, Stone, Wiercioch, Gryba, DD & Grant.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Again, I'm not saying anything other than I just have some weird feeling he won't live up to his potential.

Nothing to back it up, other than a really disappointing OHL season where it was originally expected that he could contend for a spot on the WJ team, and instead had a season full of injuries, 9-game suspensions, and poor play. Still, I really hope he can turn his game around with Kitchener this year. I still really think Puempel can reach his potential, just have a feeling right now that he won't.

If anything helps, it's that he'll get to play in Kitchener instead of the current OHL hell-hole that is the Peterborough Petes.

What? For the team and situation he was playing in, he showed great strides. He also improved a lot defensively that some fans real excited to see his season envelop. It's his injures that had everyone disappointed. The suspension was him trying to establish a gritter side to his game like Brock mentions in his article.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
What? For the team and situation he was playing in, he showed great strides. He also improved a lot defensively that some fans real excited to see his season envelop. It's his injures that had everyone disappointed. The suspension was him trying to establish a gritter side to his game like Brock mentions in his article.
Replace poor play with inconsistent.

He had ONE AMAZING STRETCH where he looked like he was untouchable, and then he had a couple stretches of mediocrity. Mediocrity may be a bit too kind to describe his play.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Replace poor play with inconsistent.

He had ONE AMAZING STRETCH where he looked like he was untouchable, and then he had a couple stretches of mediocrity. Mediocrity may be a bit too kind to describe his play.

I think it'll be worthwhile to try and keep tabs on Puempel to start this season, something had to be horribly wrong around that team for him to ask out and demand a trade to one of the CHL's flagship franchises.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think it'll be worthwhile to try and keep tabs on Puempel to start this season, something had to be horribly wrong around that team for him to ask out and demand a trade to one of the CHL's flagship franchises.
I'm sure he'll do loads better in Kitchener.

Peterborough just can't run an effective organization. Before they know it they'll be the new Frontenacs.

Security Guard Chang*

Id be happy if he topped at foligno level , and thats likely where hell end up , but he does have top line potential

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Noesen is much better at using his linemates then Foligno is. And I'm comparing both players to how they play(ed) in the OHL. Foligno has always been a world beater type of player. Tries to dangle all 5 guys on the other team by him self almost every time he gets the puck on his stick. Noesen is much better at making the smart play. If he see's a teammate with a better lane to drive, he'll give his linemate the puck.

Noesen's hockey sense >> Foligno's hockey sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad