Prospect Info: Stefan Noesen - top 6 upside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Think he has what it takes to be a good player in a top 6 a few years down the line? I could see 20-25 goal potential and possibly 60-65 points in his prime. He's a pretty good two-way player also. What do you think?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Definitely.

And I know this isn't originally mine, or am I advocating that this will happen, but this pick does remind me of the Corey Perry pick. It was thought that Perry would be more of an agitator, and while he is, he's certainly more than that.

I'm not saying Noesen will be a Corey Perry, but for a guy who was labelled as "3rd line energy guy", I think there is tons of room for improvement on that. While I watch the OHL a ridiculous amount, I rarely saw him in his draft year because he played in Plymouth. I watched him more and more this year, and one thing is that he's CONSTANTLY the first man in on the puck separating the defender from it.

Really excited to see him here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think we should wait at least until he's played his first ever game at a level beyond Major Junior before starting with the "can he or can't he be a top-6 guy".

We had threads upon threads of debate over Nick frigging Foligno and his "top-6" worthiness, and Foligno has 350 NHL games under his belt.

Noesen looks like he'll probably be an NHL player. I think that's a reasonable projection to make for the time being. Let's wait until we see how he plays when the stakes get higher before pumping his tires too much, too early.

TheOriginalSilf*

I think we should wait at least until he's played his first ever game at a level beyond Major Junior before starting with the "can he or can't he be a top-6 guy".

We had threads upon threads of debate over Nick frigging Foligno and his "top-6" worthiness, and Foligno has 350 NHL games under his belt.

Noesen looks like he'll probably be an NHL player. I think that's a reasonable projection to make for the time being. Let's wait until we see how he plays when the stakes get higher before pumping his tires too much, too early.

I don't think it's a question of will he become an NHL player, it's a question if his style of play could now be suited for top 6 play now that he's showing to more offensively talented than once believed. We're just talking about his potential upside. And it's a long Summer, so what the hell. :laugh:

I haven't seen much of Noesen myself (Plymouth :facepalm:) but he does remind me of the Corey Perry pick as Manked has brought up. Here's hoping he becomes a third of who Corey Perry is.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
A good thing is we'll probably get to see a ton of Noesen this year, because... **I'm about to give you confidential OHL insider information** Plymouth will be an absolute beast this year.

Hard to tell at the start of the season, but it's easier to see how teams will do in the OHL than the end. Last year I predicted:

London vs Kitchener [West]
Ottawa vs Niagara [East]

Niagara over London [Finals]

As you can see, I nailed the final 4 down just messed up the finals.

This year, Plymouth is going to be absolutely dominant, so hopefully we'll get to see lots of Noesen.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think this year will be an interesting one for him. Plymouth is turning into a monster team, and Noesen improved his numbers by a good amount. If he would have played 6 more games to make it 68 like the previous year, he would have had 89 points instead of 77.

That's pretty good progress, and if he did the same this year, he would break 100 points. I'm not saying he will do that, but the fact that it's even possible says something, then you factor in his physical two way game, and that's obvious top 6 upside

WhiteLight*

Definitely.

And I know this isn't originally mine, or am I advocating that this will happen, but this pick does remind me of the Corey Perry pick. It was thought that Perry would be more of an agitator, and while he is, he's certainly more than that.

I'm not saying Noesen will be a Corey Perry, but for a guy who was labelled as "3rd line energy guy", I think there is tons of room for improvement on that. While I watch the OHL a ridiculous amount, I rarely saw him in his draft year because he played in Plymouth. I watched him more and more this year, and one thing is that he's CONSTANTLY the first man in on the puck separating the defender from it.

Really excited to see him here.

He doesn't have Perry's hands. Perry made leaps and bounds in development after he was drafted - developing into a physical agitator type, improving his skating to the point were it wasn't an issue, and obviously his offensive side as well. But he always had the hands.

Noesen is has top 6 potential, but maybe a less physical Dustin Brown is a better comparison?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
He doesn't have Perry's hands. Perry made leaps and bounds in development after he was drafted - developing into a physical agitator type, improving his skating to the point were it wasn't an issue, and obviously his offensive side as well. But he always had the hands.

Noesen is has top 6 potential, but maybe a less physical Dustin Brown is a better comparison?
Less physical? Not even.

It's not even homerism (new word?) when I say that with the way Noesen plays, he could be a perennial top 5 hitter in the NHL. Not KAWABUNGA BOOM BOOM hitter, but in terms of sheer numbers, he could definitely be up there.

Regarding his hands, I'm going to accuse you of listening to what scout magazines say/said. I'd agree with you previously, but after watching him this year I think that, while he doesn't have Corey Perry hands), he certainly has VERY GOOD hands that have developed incredibly.

From what I've seen, I honestly think that the improvement of Noesen's offense easily surpasses the new offensive dimension that emerged from former stay at home defenceman Cody Ceci.

But overall, I agree with your comparison and thoughts (other than the hands and hits).

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Noesen has a shot be a top 10 OHL scorer this year. Possibly top 5.

Kid is the real deal. I like the Dustin Brown comparison personally. He's great at the body banging aspect to his game but he's also got soft mits in close and a real good shot.

Brock on the prospects board had a great write up on him:

Stefan Noesen - Plymouth Whalers
Noesen had a terrific year in Plymouth. He's so much more talented offensively than people give him credit for. His hands and vision are definitely above average. He's capable of hurting you in so many different ways. This year, he was clearly stronger and as a result was much more effective in taking the puck to the net. He's also a strong puck handler and is able to protect the puck very well. He's hard to stop off the rush. But Noesen is also an opportunist who looks for holes and has a shot to take advantage of his scoring opportunities. He also makes those he plays with better by winning battles in the corners and by creating space. This year he was noticeably more physical and really thrived on the physical aspects of the game. I'm a big fan of this kid. In the playoffs this past year, he was an absolute unstoppable force before going down with a hand injury. I think he's going to be a monster next year for a Plymouth squad who could challenge for the Memorial Cup. I definitely think he could put up 90 points and inch close to or reach the top 10 in league scoring.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Noesen was a one man destruction crew in the playoffs. He definitely has top 6 upside. Heck, he can turn out to be the best player of all the prospects we have now.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Noesen has a shot be a top 10 OHL scorer this year. Possibly top 5.

Rieder had 85 points for 10th in the league. Most of the top 10 were also 20 year olds, in fact, only Rieder, Cousins, and Griffith will probably return.

I definentely like his chances for top 10, and would give it about a 60% chance of making the top 5 IMO.

WhiteLight*

Less physical? Not even.

It's not even homerism (new word?) when I say that with the way Noesen plays, he could be a perennial top 5 hitter in the NHL. Not KAWABUNGA BOOM BOOM hitter, but in terms of sheer numbers, he could definitely be up there.

Regarding his hands, I'm going to accuse you of listening to what scout magazines say/said. I'd agree with you previously, but after watching him this year I think that, while he doesn't have Corey Perry hands), he certainly has VERY GOOD hands that have developed incredibly.

From what I've seen, I honestly think that the improvement of Noesen's offense easily surpasses the new offensive dimension that emerged from former stay at home defenceman Cody Ceci.

But overall, I agree with your comparison and thoughts (other than the hands and hits).

I'll take your word for it, but Brown lead the league in hits multiple times I think, so that tough to follow up.

Also, Brown does have decent hands as well. Not an insult to Noesen saying his offensive upside is comparable to him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yea but hit count is the worst stat taken on the NHL. Now I'm not saying in anyway that Brown doesn't deserve his totals, but just look at the stats from team to team. Wasn't it last year Matt Martin almost led the league or did in like 65 games?

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Noesen was a one man destruction crew in the playoffs. He definitely has top 6 upside. Heck, he can turn out to be the best player of all the prospects we have now.

Agreed. I think Noesen fits exactly the type of guy the sens like. Skilled and smart offensively and defensively as well as being physical. Reminds me a bit of Jamie Benn.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Yea but hit count is the worst stat taken on the NHL. Now I'm not saying in anyway that Brown doesn't deserve his totals, but just look at the stats from team to team. Wasn't it last year Matt Martin almost led the league or did in like 65 games?

Yup. The Isles stats guys have a reputation for inflating stats for hits.

John Holmes*

I remember Corey Perry when he played in the OHL. he was such a bad skater I couldn't believe he was a first rounder, and when he actually started scoring in the NHL, I was just as surprised.

I never would have believed it if anyone told me he'd score 50 one day.

Funny if you believe wiki, the Ducks tried to trade him for Comrie.

I bet they're glad that fell through.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I remember Corey Perry when he played in the OHL. he was such a bad skater I couldn't believe he was a first rounder, and when he actually started scoring in the NHL, I was just as surprised.

I never would have believed it if anyone told me he'd score 50 one day.

Funny if you believe wiki, the Ducks tried to trade him for Comrie.

I bet they're glad that fell through.

Its a true story. Murray was GM of the Ducks at the time.

Comrie was always one of those players Murray had a boner for.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I hate to be the guy that brings up negative stuff, but it seems like every one thinks all of our prospects are Top-6 talent. While they very well may have Top-6 potential we can't have 15 Top-6 forwards at some point, something will have to give some where. This is a good problem to have.

That said, I do think that Noesen can be a Top-6 forward on an NHL, although i have yet to see him with my own two eyes.

TheOriginalSilf*

I hate to be the guy that brings up negative stuff, but it seems like every one thinks all of our prospects are Top-6 talent. While they very well may have Top-6 potential we can't have 15 Top-6 forwards at some point, something will have to give some where. This is a good problem to have.

That said, I do think that Noesen can be a Top-6 forward on an NHL, although i have yet to see him with my own two eyes.

It's a common occurrence for a prospect not to reach their potential ceiling in their careers. Everything is hypothetical (obviously). I think Noesen COULD be a top 6 player in the future because of his on-ice assets. Same goes for prospects such as Silfverberg, Stone, Zibanejad, Puempel and Pageau. They all have top 6 upside, IMO. In reality, there's a possibility that none of them pan out, or we hit the jackpot and several of them pan out.

I don't think it's a matter of us pumping their tires too much. I believe it's just a matter of realizing the probabilities that they don't reach their full potential. We do have a very promising crop of forward prospects right now; some of the best in the NHL, so it's very easy to be excited about the future with a pool such as ours.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
LW depth in three years will include Silfverberg, Noesen, Prince and Hoffman in the conversation, no question.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
He has that kind of upside, yes, but I'd feel better considering him more of a tweener going forward. Very good chance he sticks on the third line, nothing wrong with that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad