Confirmed with Link: Steen signs for 3 years at 17.4 million

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's nice that we pretty much have our top 6 for the future set if we can just get a center:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-X-Tarasenko

Now with Steen signed it'd be nice if we could just focus on Stastny in the offseason.

This is a good deal to get done. C'mon, I agree 5 mil per year would have been more ideal but is 800K really that big of a deal between getting one of our BEST players signed or letting them walk? It isn't. We can certainly live with it. We couldn't let Steen go at all, so it had to be done.

Love having Steen, Petro, Bouwmeester all sign newer contracts to go along with Oshie and Backes. Love the core of this team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
5.25-5.75 probably. Low end if he truly wants to be here, high end if multiple teams are involved.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah sounds about right. I think we'd easily be one of the most attractive places for him along with Colorado. So, we'll see.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
5.25-5.75 probably. Low end if he truly wants to be here, high end if multiple teams are involved.

I think that is pretty optimistic, I'd expect him to sign for $5.75m long term and that will be a good discount. With no cap concerns, some GM's are going to be throwing around stupid contracts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto, Dallas and Edmonton all offering him in the $6.5m range.

Was this a big pay increase to steen?

He is getting paid $3.57m this season, so a good jump.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Our only real chance is him wanting to come here like Weiss with Detroit and Filppula with Tampa. We'll be competitive, but we won't overpay or go over our limit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Which seems reasonable. My guess is we will use several players on our team to recruit lol.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Last week Affleck is moaning about budget and attendance.

Next week they are signing Steen for 6 million.

Steen 28 years old + 3 years ....31 - so not bad

They have to take risks like this to make it work. Blues fans complain about being bottom-feeders when it comes to cap payroll; Blues' response is to spend to the cap. Blues fans complain that we don't have any star players and that's one reason why attendance is low; Blues' response is to sign their star player to a contract when they could have let him go to UFA in order to save money. Then Blues fans (not you, but some others) complain that the Blues are now lying because they said they weren't making much money, yet they sign their star player to a big contract. The whole thing is laughable. The Blues can do no right. They are appeasing their fans, and the reaction from some (albeit few) fans is negative. Granted, I've only seen a couple of posters (mostly on STLtoday board) be negative about this and call out the Blues signing Steen while saying that they're not in a good position financially. If the Blues hadn't signed Steen, those same posters would then ridicule the Blues for not doing what's in the best interest of the fans.

illninofan*

It's nice that we pretty much have our top 6 for the future set if we can just get a center:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-X-Tarasenko

Slightly off-topic, but that second line could put up SO many points.

Tarasenko's and Schwartz's dogged puck pursuit, Stastny's playmaking ability and Tarasenko's world class finishing ability heightened that much further playing with a true playermaker (oh, and Schwartz is no slouch in that department either).

My only concern is, again, do these guys get pushed around by the big, tough California teams (and to an extent, Phoenix)?

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
Slightly off-topic, but that second line could put up SO many points.

Tarasenko's and Schwartz's dogged puck pursuit, Stastny's playmaking ability and Tarasenko's world class finishing ability heightened that much further playing with a true playermaker (oh, and Schwartz is no slouch in that department either).

My only concern is, again, do these guys get pushed around by the big, tough California teams (and to an extent, Phoenix)?

Stastny has skills that negate size. Look at Duchene/Karlsson/Datsyuk or any other smallish skill guy. They can protect the puck well and have the vision/ability to make smart passes.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Stastny has skills that negate size. Look at Duchene/Karlsson/Datsyuk or any other smallish skill guy. They can protect the puck well and have the vision/ability to make smart passes.

Exactly, all 3 are skilled enough to stop that happening. Overall we are going to be a pretty large team, I don't think we need to worry about it being every player.

So I haven't really heard any estimates for Sobotka's contract. 3.5 for 5? 3 for 6/7?

I don't see him getting more than $3.25m regardless of the length of deal. If he is willing to accept $2.5m-$3m then I give him as many years as he wants, and try and talk him into more. He has proven his consistency to get a long term contract, his offensive production should be around 40 points if we have him on the third line and the average NHL salary will be close to $3.5m by the third year of his deal.

Frans Nielsen is a good comparison. Not going to say that he'll see the offensive breakout that Nielsen is having this season, but his contract ($2.75m) was great value before the offense and that is under a lower cap.

Schwartz is another player I want to see us go long term on. I'd give him 8y @ $3.75m tomorrow. Give him a 2 year bridge deal and I think there is a good chance he's looking at Steen money at the end of that contract.

Sundowner1646

Dec 6, 2013
Los Angeles
Nice to see Steener giving the Blues the St. Louis discount. He isn't going to be poor obviously but he definitely could have signed for more money in a larger market this offseason. Happy to have him wearing the Bluenote for at least the next 3 and a half years. Now if we could just find a consistent #1 goaltender, I think we're in business.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm just glad to have Steen locked up. The cap hit won't look bad once the cap continues to increase.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
some tin foil hat thoughts:

I like the term (3 years) at that AAV. Steen is showing confidence in himself that he can stay productive and has time to get one more big contract at the end of the term (rather than holding out for UFA now and a big pay-day at longer term). Armstrong decreases the risk of overpayment for an abnormally productive year. I have no complaints about the contract and happy to see Steen under contract with the Blues.

But both parties had made statements to the effect that they were going to leave this alone during the season. They mutually wanted to get something done, but I had the sense that both were content to finish the negotiations at the end of the year.

Here's what I think happened:
Armstrong wants to make a move. He also knows he needs to fit Alex Steen into the budget for next year. Its better for him to work with a known commodity, so he makes Alex's camp an offer that is fair and probably higher than the ballpark they'd been talking about before. There was more motivation to have this settled prior to the trade deadline.

Its not this year's salary cap in question, but getting a player (a center) that is under contract beyond this season maybe?

I don't know, but I do believe its in the team's interest to get this contract signed sooner. Alex has certainly earned this money, and the risk of him not staying productive is pretty low barring injury. He's just a smart hockey player who plays the right way, regardless of how many goals he's putting up.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
some tin foil hat thoughts:

I like the term (3 years) at that AAV. Steen is showing confidence in himself that he can stay productive and has time to get one more big contract at the end of the term (rather than holding out for UFA now and a big pay-day at longer term). Armstrong decreases the risk of overpayment for an abnormally productive year. I have no complaints about the contract and happy to see Steen under contract with the Blues.

But both parties had made statements to the effect that they were going to leave this alone during the season. They mutually wanted to get something done, but I had the sense that both were content to finish the negotiations at the end of the year.

Here's what I think happened:
Armstrong wants to make a move. He also knows he needs to fit Alex Steen into the budget for next year. Its better for him to work with a known commodity, so he makes Alex's camp an offer that is fair and probably higher than the ballpark they'd been talking about before. There was more motivation to have this settled prior to the trade deadline.

Its not this year's salary cap in question, but getting a player (a center) that is under contract beyond this season maybe?

I don't know, but I do believe its in the team's interest to get this contract signed sooner. Alex has certainly earned this money, and the risk of him not staying productive is pretty low barring injury. He's just a smart hockey player who plays the right way, regardless of how many goals he's putting up.

I really can't help but assume the same, it makes way more sense to do this deal right away only if you're making long term plans around it. Even if we do just get a rental you have to make a choice on who fits the team well enough to hold onto.

If we can upgrade on Roy he's as good as gone in favor of re-signing the center we need. If it's something more dynamic making sure Backes and Steen are going to be on that top line for this next big playoff window is a smart way of both setting up the next move and selling a newly acquired top 6 talent on staying with the team.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Just so some of you know signing steen to a 5.8 mill contract isn't only for his points.

The guy wins so many 50/50 battles. He's one of the hardest backcheckers on the team. Is underrated around the league in our own zone and does all the little things right that help u WIN hockey games. So yes, 5.8 may seem like alot for him which obviously it is. It's not like were going carolina hurricanes (semin) and paying a ton of money for a one dimensional player. Steen is a guy that SCORES GOALS. especially in the playoffs, and his all around play and versatility as a winger and center is a huge help to this team. so that's why hes making 5.8 now.

Seriously, do u guys really not trust Army by now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad