NFL: Steelers listening to trade offers for Le'Veon Bell

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Cap space or not, the Steelers are not big spenders, the biggest FA they have ever signed was James Farrior

Not only that but Pittsburgh has always been hesitant to pay their own players. They were New England before they made it vogue.

Although Both Bell and Pittsburgh share some blame for the situation they are in.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not only that but Pittsburgh has always been hesitant to pay their own players. They were New England before they made it vogue.

Although Both Bell and Pittsburgh share some blame for the situation they are in.

Completely wrong. Pittsburgh is always at the cap mainly because they always pay up for their own players.

Reactions: TNT87

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He has been offered a reasonable longterm deal

"Reasonable" according to whom? The Steelers staffer who leaked the news? The only way its reasonable is if its comparable to Johnson & Gurley's contracts.

I agree with 85 about Bell holding out. What I don't agree with, and what IS, hurting Bell's career is all the antics. Tweeting out emoji's trolling the team when they tied the browns, releasing a rap album while he's holding out, taking to social media and saying "just ****ing pay me" while riding a jet ski.

He's frustrated that the team basically wants to run him into the ground and then say "thanks for your time here, were going in a different direction" he played last year under the tag to show them he was worth a long term deal and they flopped once again.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He's frustrated that the team basically wants to run him into the ground and then say "thanks for your time here, were going in a different direction" he played last year under the tag to show them he was worth a long term deal and they flopped once again.
I understand that he's frustrated, that's fine. I'd be frustrated, too. I have zero problem with him sitting out. I DO have a problem with all the antics. And like I said, I do think that's hurting his image and it's going to hurt his marketability to a degree.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I understand that he's frustrated, that's fine. I'd be frustrated, too. I have zero problem with him sitting out. I DO have a problem with all the antics. And like I said, I do think that's hurting his image and it's going to hurt his marketability to a degree.

Its his way of expressing his frustration, yea he could do that in a more respectable way but after 2 years of this hes fed up.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Both sides are to blame for it getting to this point. Bell's doing stuff on social media or through his agent while the Steelers have pushed their side other ways. At this point it's the equivalent of a messy divorce and it's a bad look for both sides the longer it goes on.

Reactions: Voight

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Its his way of expressing his frustration, yea he could do that in a more respectable way but after 2 years of this hes fed up.
I don't doubt that he's frustrated, I'm just not sure how making and releasing a rap album and riding around on a jet ski while your teammates are working hard is "expressing frustration"....

He can rip the management all he wants, rip ownership, rip the GM, all that stuff is fine with me. But when it gets to the point where he is trolling his teammates, that is way over the line for me. I'm a very team-oriented person when it comes to sports, and when a guy is disrespecting his teammates then that is over the line for me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Schefter threw the Packers and Bucs out there earlier today but it was just him wondering out loud and pure speculation.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Bell and Indy can be a good fit.
Pair Luck with him.
It is, but its it's not gonna happen, and I'll apologize to you if it does.

Too much money for a 30 year old back, and Ballard will not budge from his longterm process approach. I see them trading their 2nd round picks to move up for Bryce Love or Damien Harris before taking on Bell.

Sep 19, 2008
Was a rumor Redskins are interested; why would they be? They already got two proper backs right now. Thompson is good and Peterson has done moderately well.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It is, but its it's not gonna happen, and I'll apologize to you if it does.

Too much money for a 30 year old back, and Ballard will not budge from his longterm process approach. I see them trading their 2nd round picks to move up for Bryce Love or Damien Harris before taking on Bell.

Le'Veon Bell is 26

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is he? I was more than certain he was 29, I guess I read that last didget backwards :laugh:

Edit; That means he got drafted at 20 years of age? Did something happen in College?

He was drafted at 21, played 5 years in the NFL, and is now 26.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Is he? I was more than certain he was 29, I guess I read that last didget backwards :laugh:

Edit; That means he got drafted at 20 years of age? Did something happen in College?

Yeah, he's 3 months younger than David Johnson.

And no, he was drafted at 21 as a junior but has a February birthday which puts him a bit on the younger side of his class. Red shirts and players drafted as a seniors really skew things. Devin Funchess is only 6 months older than Calvin Ridley.

Reactions: Pax Macioretty

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bell and Indy can be a good fit.
Pair Luck with him.
I think it’s a play that Indy should try in the off season. I don’t believe that they are a playoff team this season.

See what level Luck is at this year and then make your off season moves based off his status.

Only team that has been rumoured for Bell that makes sense to me is Green Bay for this season. But I don’t see them keeping him next year.

Unless a team can get him for a day 3 pick I don’t think they make that move. Earl Thomas, he can be extended right away and be happy and thus you have peace in the locker room. Bell, at best can sign a 1 year deal for the rest of the year. So, he’s still gotta look out for himself.

As for players, the nfl rules for the draft are 3 years post high school. So we’re generally looking at true juniors or redshirt sophomores who turn 21 in their draft year.

That can range up to redshirt seniors who turn 23. Mack, as great as he is now, redshirted at Buffalo and played 4 years there making him 23 in his draft year, now he’s 27.

Running backs should always leave college ASAP. I disagreed with Bryce Loves decision to return to Stanford but that’s his choice. It’s just a financial one cause in his 12 games this year he’ll get another 275 touches give or take. Want to be using those in the nfl and get paid.

Reactions: Pax Macioretty

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

UPDATE 10:35 p.m. ET: Although the Steelers would be eligible for compensatory draft pick compensation, Bell’s departure would put their net free agency gains and losses at zero, given that they signed safety Morgan Burnett and linebacker Jon Bostic and lost tackle Chris Hubbard. Per a source with extensive knowledge of the compensatory draft pick formula, the next gains and losses of zero would keep the Steelers from getting any compensatory draft picks.

Reactions: Pestilence

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd just trade him and be done with it. Conner looks at the least (early anyway) to be a 1000 yard level rusher.

Bell was fine until he started running his mouth to the point his own teammates got sick of him. Get your money? Absolutely. I had no problem with David Johnson doing the same, especially when he handled it fairly quietly and professionally. RB is easily the most replaceable position so players are absolutely entitled to get as much as they can.

As someone said, part of this falls on the Steelers. Should have paid Bell a couple years ago and you'd be far less likely to be in this mess.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd just trade him and be done with it. Conner looks at the least (early anyway) to be a 1000 yard level rusher.

Bell was fine until he started running his mouth to the point his own teammates got sick of him. Get your money? Absolutely. I had no problem with David Johnson doing the same, especially when he handled it fairly quietly and professionally. RB is easily the most replaceable position so players are absolutely entitled to get as much as they can.

As someone said, part of this falls on the Steelers. Should have paid Bell a couple years ago and you'd be far less likely to be in this mess.
That’s really the thing in the end. They were willing to pay him $12 mill last year and $14.5 mill on the tag this year. Average of $13.25 per year. Surely they could have come to an agreement to get him around 3 years average salary guaranteed? That would have him complete 7 years with them and they could let him go afterwards.

If they were worried about suspensions then could they put in a clause that some of he SB was recoverable if he gets suspended for off field stuff.

Sad how this has deteriorated. Honestly doubt Bell gets what he feels he deserves in the end.

Realistically I think both sides should have settled on a dea that paid him around $12-$14 million on average with around $36 million guaranteed.

Even now, if bell had signed the tag he would ha e gotten $26.5 million over 2 years. So he’s around $10 million to go for that third year.

Just the reaity that his position doesn’t have a long shelf life in the NFL.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The best offer from the Steelers in 2017 was apparently 5 years/ 60 million. He would have gotten 30 million in the first two years (2017-18 & 2018-2019) and then another 12 million in 2019-20. He played on the tag and banked 12 million.

This year the best offer was 5 years / 70 million. Essentially though it was just the same offer again, as he would be making 30 million in the first two years. Along with the 12 mil he banked on the tag the previous year, he still ends up with $42 million over the first 3 years either way.

I think those are fair offers from the Steelers, but it's obvious Bell just values himself higher. The rumor was he wanted in the $16-17 mil range and the Steelers had structured the contract so that he would be making around $14 million per year in the early years. I also don't really have a problem with Bell not accepting and just playing on the tag - I can see both sides.

Bell holding out here is his first real misstep, IMO. He will never make that money back and in the process he's alienated his team & also has raised some questions about how valuable he is with Conner playing well. I also wonder if he couldn't have just gotten insurance against injury if he had played under the tag again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The best offer from the Steelers in 2017 was apparently 5 years/ 60 million. He would have gotten 30 million in the first two years (2017-18 & 2018-2019) and then another 12 million in 2019-20. He played on the tag and banked 12 million.

This year the best offer was 5 years / 70 million. Essentially though it was just the same offer again, as he would be making 30 million in the first two years. Along with the 12 mil he banked on the tag the previous year, he still ends up with $42 million over the first 3 years either way.

I think those are fair offers from the Steelers, but it's obvious Bell just values himself higher. The rumor was he wanted in the $16-17 mil range and the Steelers had structured the contract so that he would be making around $14 million per year in the early years. I also don't really have a problem with Bell not accepting and just playing on the tag - I can see both sides.

Bell holding out here is his first real misstep, IMO. He will never make that money back and in the process he's alienated his team & also has raised some questions about how valuable he is with Conner playing well. I also wonder if he couldn't have just gotten insurance against injury if he had played under the tag again.
The main negative was that only the first year base salary and any SB would have been guaranteed.

But when you hold up the numbers 2 tags are $26.5 million for 2 years.

A guy coming off his 4 year rookie deal at age 25 can he last 3 more years with a heavy workload? I would think yes.

The gurley contract is $15 million and he’s basically the same type of back. So his target of $17 million was too high if that was the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad