NFL: Steelers listening to trade offers for Le'Veon Bell

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
so they'd get a compensatory 3rd round pick if they hold onto him and someone else re-signs him as a free agent next year. So someone would have to beat that and I don't see how they would for a 10 game rental.....unless they have a "under the table" handshake deal in place for him to sign long term although I believe that is technically tampering and illegal.

feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The likely compensatory pick would be in 2020, so a 3rd in 2019 would be an improvement. Maybe there would be some re-signing conditions attached to make it more appealing for the Steelers.

For a new team, they would get Bell and then be eligible for that same comp pick if he moves on.

The only issue is nobody knows what Bell's plan is.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Will be interesting to see where he ends up. He's a great talent but also a headache. Would that talent be worth acquiring a headache? For me I don't think it would be.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Teams with cap space for Bell this season:
Cleveland
Indianapolis
San Francisco
Houston
Tennessee
NY Jets
Jacksonville

tight but maybe:
Dallas
Cincinnati
Buffalo

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As a Steelers fan I would hate to see them "Sell Low" on him but at the same time I am ready to be done with the circus that has come with his holdout this year, move on from him and at least we would be down to a two ring circus ( AB and Ben)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
so they'd get a compensatory 3rd round pick if they hold onto him and someone else re-signs him as a free agent next year. So someone would have to beat that and I don't see how they would for a 10 game rental.....unless they have a "under the table" handshake deal in place for him to sign long term although I believe that is technically tampering and illegal.

feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
That’s dependent on them not signing any free agents to deals with similar averages to what Bell would sign for.

Seattle lost so many guys like the 2 Richardson’s, graham, wilsson, etc but ended up with no comp picks because they signed other guys.

Pitt has to upgrade their D in the off season.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They never sign many free agents because they never have cap space, but with Bell off the books they should be in decent shape next season and can get some defensive help.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has been offered a reasonable longterm deal
How much of it was guaranteed. All about the details and structure.

MJD who shares the same agent said the Bells offer had $19 million guaranteed. Compare that to what DJ and Gurley got in guaranteed.

For any long term deal that is for 5 years, 2 years average salary should be the amount of guaranteed money that you expect for the elite players. With maybe a portion of year 3 being guaranteed.

If Pitt and Bel could have come to terms last season it should have been something like 5 years for between $65 to $70 million for an average of $13-$14 million. Last year and this year base salary should have been guaranteed and he would have gotten a signing bonus. Thus if Pitt cut Bell after this season they would eat 3/5 years of his SB.

Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
They never sign many free agents because they never have cap space, but with Bell off the books they should be in decent shape next season and can get some defensive help.

Cap space or not, the Steelers are not big spenders, the biggest FA they have ever signed was James Farrior

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

MJD who shares the same agent said the Bells offer had $19 million guaranteed. Compare that to what DJ and Gurley got in guaranteed.

For any long term deal that is for 5 years, 2 years average salary should be the amount of guaranteed money that you expect for the elite players. With maybe a portion of year 3 being guaranteed.

If Pitt and Bel could have come to terms last season it should have been something like 5 years for between $65 to $70 million for an average of $13-$14 million. Last year and this year base salary should have been guaranteed and he would have gotten a signing bonus. Thus if Pitt cut Bell after this season they would eat 3/5 years of his SB.

I had read or heard here( meaning in Pittsburgh not here on HF) that the guarantee was about 33 mil

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

The Steelers often structure deals a bit differently to give them a chance to create cap space within the early years of the deal. From what I read the Steelers had the guarantees/bonuses to be paid partially in Year 1 and the rest at the beginning of Year 2. That's why you see the different 'guarantees' floated around depending whose being asked.

That said, nobody has any idea if Bell would have signed for that $ even if all of the guarantees were in Year 1. He may have just wanted more money in general.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cap space or not, the Steelers are not big spenders, the biggest FA they have ever signed was James Farrior

I am aware, but that is because they never really have cap room to spend on UFAs. They always spend to the cap and if Bell was traded they would have a large amount of cap space with none of their own UFAs to spend it on.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Hopefully whomever trades for him gives him the contract hes earned.

I agree with 85 about Bell holding out. What I don't agree with, and what IS, hurting Bell's career is all the antics. Tweeting out emoji's trolling the team when they tied the browns, releasing a rap album while he's holding out, taking to social media and saying "just f***ing pay me" while riding a jet ski.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I am aware, but that is because they never really have cap room to spend on UFAs. They always spend to the cap and if Bell was traded they would have a large amount of cap space with none of their own UFAs to spend it on.

They will use that money to sign one or two 3rd tier free agents, nobody big

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Jets and Colts might make sense in the offseason if he hits the market. Maybe not as much sense for an in season trade because neither team is a contender but Bell could still possibly make a difference in a push for the playoffs. The Colts also have an extra 2nd round pick in 2019.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
The Jets and Colts might make sense in the offseason if he hits the market. Maybe not as much sense for an in season trade because neither team is a contender but Bell could still possibly make a difference in a push for the playoffs. The Colts also have an extra 2nd round pick in 2019.
I don't believe for a second that Ballard would give anything more than a 3rd round pick for Bell. He's as hardheaded as I've seen anyone when it comes to not caving in to big contract players. His plan is youth threw the draft.

Colts need an ILB and a corner just as much as they need a 3 down back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
T
I don't believe for a second that Ballard would give anything more than a 3rd round pick for Bell. He's as hardheaded as I've seen anyone when it comes to not caving in to big contract players. His plan is youth threw the draft.

Colts need an ILB and a corner just as much as they need a 3 down back.
If the Colts are viewing this season as, let's get Luck back to normal, then I don't see them giving up a day 2 pick for Bell. You can use that pick to grab a RB who will cost you $1 million in cap space for the next 4 years vs paying Bell $13 million per year for the next 2-3 years. Won't be as good as Bell, but what can you do with the other $12 million in cap space to make up for it.

The thing with Bell, is that whether he's a Steeler or not, he's still going to look out for his physical well being. Still have to protect himself for his next contract. Is he going to be ok with getting 25 touches a game this season whenever he does play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad