NFL: Steelers listening to trade offers for Le'Veon Bell

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Was a rumor Redskins are interested; why would they be? They already got two proper backs right now. Thompson is good and Peterson has done moderately well.

I was thinking the same thing. Would have made sense a month ago but with a healthy CT and what looks like a vintage AP it just doesn't make sense! I'm just hoping that he ends up as far away from the division as possible.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The main negative was that only the first year base salary and any SB would have been guaranteed.

But when you hold up the numbers 2 tags are $26.5 million for 2 years.

A guy coming off his 4 year rookie deal at age 25 can he last 3 more years with a heavy workload? I would think yes.

The gurley contract is $15 million and he’s basically the same type of back. So his target of $17 million was too high if that was the case.

Gurley's contract also doesn't start for two years and the cap will have gone up a bit by then, so it's worth keeping in mind when you're comparing a contract that would have started in 2017 to one that won't start until 2020.

I think the franchise tag actually perfectly represented what Bell was worth on a multi-year deal each year - $12 million last year, $14 this year. It's weird that they couldn't get a deal done, either meaning the Steelers structure was terrible or Bell completely overvalued himself.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gurley's contract also doesn't start for two years and the cap will have gone up a bit by then, so it's worth keeping in mind when you're comparing a contract that would have started in 2017 to one that won't start until 2020.

I think the franchise tag actually perfectly represented what Bell was worth on a multi-year deal each year - $12 million last year, $14 this year. It's weird that they couldn't get a deal done, either meaning the Steelers structure was terrible or Bell completely overvalued himself.
It is absolutely both. Steelers from what we have heard do not hand out guaranteed money after year 1, which is stupid.

Bell, has to accept how the business works in that he can be the highest paid RB but he won’t get WR money. He may have 85 catches last year but that isn’t against CB1 like Brown or OBJ. Gronkowski never made WR money either, same with Graham. His deal with NO after his rookie deal was $10 million per. WR were getting $14 million per like DT In Denver.

$26.5 million over 2 years. If they can add 1 more year to that they should have been able to do an extension after his rookie dea to aatisfy both sides. Don’t feel bad for either party. Pitt now has to deal with the Bell distraction for using the tag. Bell can not sign and hope he gets a great deal in the off season but I think at best he gets 2 years guaranteed. So almost the same as if he played on the tag this year and got a 1 year deal next season guaranteed and the second year would not be.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bell also has a bunch more touches than Gurley or Johnson at this point, I think the team is probably doing the right thing by not signing him long term

To me, that's even more of a reason for Steelers to pay the man what he has earned when they've been leading him on for a couple years now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To me, that's even more of a reason for Steelers to pay the man what he has earned when they've been leading him on for a couple years now.

So would you be open to paying Joe Thornton 11M per going forward for 3-4 years based on what he did in past?

Because what your advocating is foolish

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So would you be open to paying Joe Thornton 11M per going forward for 3-4 years based on what he did in past?

That's hardly a legitimate comparison but even if it were, Thornton has a long history of getting paid by the Sharks including last year getting 8 million. Bell should be paid like his contemporaries.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You pay him based on his upcoming performance and how you plan on using him.

Everything about gurley and DJ’s new deals have to consider when they take effect.

Bell was a junior when he left college and has played 5 years in the nfl. This is supposed to his year 6 for him. Bell turned 26 back in feb.

Gurley also left college as a junior. This is the 4th year of his rookie deal. And the Rams have exercised his 5th year option. So his new deal takes effect in his 6th NFL season, so where Bell is now. Gurley turned 24 back in August.

DJ played 4 years in college. This is also his 4th year in the NFL. He is actually older than Bell by about 3 months. He was born December 1991. Will be 27 by the end of the year.

That’s probably a factor in him only getting a 3 year deal.

So, you need to line up the years in which these contracts take effect to get a fair comparison between the players.

Gurley in the next 2 years is likely to have an additional 700 touches by the time he reaches Bells age.

Gurley is around 790 rushes coming to this year and 130 catches coming in. Total touches 920. Bell was at close to 1600 through 5 years. So if Gurley touches the ball 700 times in the next 2 years he’ll have about the same number as Bell at the same point in their careers through 5 seasons. Does that change your perspective when comparing the 2 backs?

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Loyal teams always pay players for what they did in the past. That's how you get free agents and keep your guys happy. It's more than just about that one player. If Big Ben wanted guaranteed money I'm sure the Steelers wouldn't hesitate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad