Post-Game Talk: Steel City @ The District | 7:00p ET | NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The brothers were belorussians though, not russians. We don't claim them.

Regarding the topic: I've said it many times. You cant have more than 2-3 russians on the same team. They more than any other nation tend to group up together and it not just gives them some comfort in terms of having other guys who speak the same language and eat the same food but it gives them the feeling of safety, especially when one of them is as powerful as Ovechkin in DC. They're getting too complacent, too comfortable and eventually don't give a f***. They work hard when they're constantly pushed, when the circumstances just don't leave them any other choice. You either work your butt off or you're getting sent home. Of course it doesn't extrapolate on bums like Shumakov, he just didn't have what it takes to begin with. But when you got some serious talent like Kuzy you got that airbag that even if you suck for long stretches hey there's Ovi, he got my back and I'm soo talented I can get out of this funk any day I want. It's hard to encapsulate their psychology the way it would be fully understandable for western people. Some isolated specific examples not withstanding it's not good when you have too many of them on the team.

Thanks - I think you've perfectly encapsulated what I've never been able to put into words (about the Russian players). And I respect the fact you are Russian so you have that insight that "we" (non Russians) can never have....

Reactions: Roshi

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

Regarding the topic: I've said it many times. You cant have more than 2-3 russians on the same team. They more than any other nation tend to group up together and it not just gives them some comfort in terms of having other guys who speak the same language and eat the same food but it gives them the feeling of safety, especially when one of them is as powerful as Ovechkin in DC. They're getting too complacent, too comfortable and eventually don't give a f***. They work hard when they're constantly pushed, when the circumstances just don't leave them any other choice. You either work your butt off or you're getting sent home. Of course it doesn't extrapolate on bums like Shumakov, he just didn't have what it takes to begin with. But when you got some serious talent like Kuzy you got that airbag that even if you suck for long stretches hey there's Ovi, he got my back and I'm soo talented I can get out of this funk any day I want. It's hard to encapsulate their psychology the way it would be fully understandable for western people. Some isolated specific examples not withstanding it's not good when you have too many of them on the team.

I have visualised conversations like that: "Hey it's cool, we won a Cup now, we can chill out a little" etc...

These guys are getting paid an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money. This is never have to work again territory. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is to give a f*ck on a regular basis when you have the Cup and the sweet cars and mansion and all that money in the bank.
And not to mention, your late 20's or early 30's. My god that was already a while ago and I enjoyed it even on my much more modest salary. If I was a strong, healthy athlete with that kind of money....Jesus wept

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I have visualised conversations like that: "Hey it's cool, we won a Cup now, we can chill out a little" etc...

These guys are getting paid an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money. This is never have to work again territory. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is to give a f*ck on a regular basis when you have the Cup and the sweet cars and mansion and all that money in the bank.
And not to mention, your late 20's or early 30's. My god that was already a while ago and I enjoyed it even on my much more modest salary. If I was a strong, healthy athlete with that kind of money....Jesus wept
Yep, especially with Kuznetsov's background of living in ghetto of Chelyabinsk and working his ass off his whole childhood to get to where he is right now. Can easily see anybody say "Yeah I made it, f*** em all now".

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Thanks - I think you've perfectly encapsulated what I've never been able to put into words (about the Russian players). And I respect the fact you are Russian so you have that insight that "we" (non Russians) can never have....

Were Kozlov, Fedorov, Varlamov lazy and not giving a f***?

Is Orlov like that?

Semin and Kuzy, very talented guys, could be like that, but I guess it has nothing to do with their nationality.

Also Id question if certain poster is actually Russian. There are plenty of Russian speaking guys talking some things on the internets who arent.

But he could be, ofc, we have all kinds of tobeignored guys.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Oh Raikkonen is at it again with his little hurt feelings. It's okay, the truth hurts but you're a grown man, you can deal with it.

Regarding Kozlov and Fedorov: those guys grew up in Soviet Union and had absolutely different mentality regarding money, fame and everything that comes with it. They had a different kind of upbringing and attitude.

I don't know why Varlamov even mentioned lol. The guy's life is a constant battle with chronical injuries and he always had to push for every penny he got. He's the exact example of a man who had no other choice but work out of his mind to maintain elite level.

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

While there might be something beneath the muchly weird russofobia there in your post, its also quite black/white and selective to go specificially on Russians on this. Our guys happen to be Russians, but in general it can be any nationality tbh, and it definately depends more on the individuals and team chemistry as a whole.

These kind of "groups" form all over sports and "real life" aswell, and it doesnt take a certain nationality to form one. Saying Russians dont work hard when you put enough of them together is just wrong wrong wrong.

Both teams who played on last seasons SCF had 3-4 Russians on their team and all of them were important contributors for their teams.

On the invidual level Ovie and Kuzy have always been this way. Laid back, relaxed, "yolo and enjoy life" kind of guys, and dont always look that engaged for the heat of the moment as we fans are. That doesnt necessarily mean that they slack on the work, or dont care. Kuzy maybe got a bit worse and more comfy after winning the cup, as he looks like his hanging here just for the lifestyle and fun. But overally they both have had cold streaks and periods of time when they looked disinterested before, its not the first time our board is calling them out. And even if ive been attacking Kuzy hard lately on the boards, this is just normal cycle. They have been here for such a long time, doing the exact same thing over and over again. Its expected to sometimes feel a bit "unmotivated". We are Caps fans so we overreact to it every time, but atleast im still hopeful they will do like they always do, get over it and be great players who lead us to the playoffs.

Orlov has pretty much achieved his roof-potential. Which is a decent top4-D. I dont think we can ask much more from him, especially as he has been one of our better players for the last 3-4 games after suffering an early season slump. What there indicates he is not working enough, or that he is on a comfort zone? There just isnt much more to grow into.

So its more about Samsonov tbh, that has been unimpressive from the standards. While Ovie and Kuzy propably arent the best role models for him, its also up to him to get over whatever weird phase he is going through. He has achieved nothing yet. He hasnt been a clearcut nr1 for any professional team he has played for, so if he for any reason feels comfortable on his current spot, its all on him on an individual level, not as an Russian. And also not on the superstar veterans who actually have earned their comfort zone through decade of hard work and success. Its not rare for prospects like Sammy to never pan out the way we want to, I dont think its fair to blame it on "Russian-factor", rather than on individual as itself.

But as it is, our Russians do have sort of built a wall between them and the rest of the team, or atleast thats how it looks for us watching outside. And that might obviously have effect on the whole team effort. Obviously noone on the team has anything against the Russians, but also they are not clicking as a team either right now.When we had Orpik he was sort of a gate keeper there who united both sides. Now that we dont have that gate keeper, we need to find another way to bring the group together.

Im frustfrated as anyone and overreacting here and there, but once (im sure it will happen) things start going our way and the superstar Russians snap out the cold streak its all good under the sun again.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It’s always tough losing to that trash franchise, we’ll get them Thursday

The Pens have been playing much better since they replaced Rutherford with Hextall and Burke. So maybe our problem isn't really Kuzy and Sammy, its GMBM and Dick Patrick. Quick, someone start a letter writing campaign, or do some hashtagging or something.

Reactions: max21

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So basically, we just miss Batya.
Iirc Big Z gets along with Ovechkin nicely, speaks Russian and should be a good fit for that role. I dont see that as a problem.

Id not like to say its Kuzy and his off ice behaviour (and not his nationality) but knowing things Ive heard from good source it very well could be.

And I think there is no wall between Ovi and others on the team.

Judging from Kuzy's interactions with many players that Im aware of, he is not behind the wall too.

Sammy and Orly could gravitate to them naturally but its fully ok. Like if they all were from the same university or smth.

Without seeing them behind closed doors Id not make any conclusions on that matter.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Iirc Big Z gets along with Ovechkin nicely, speaks Russian and should be a good fit for that role. I dont see that as a problem.

Id not like to say its Kuzy and his off ice behaviour (and not his nationality) but knowing things Ive heard from good source it very well could be.

And I think there is no wall between Ovi and others on the team.

Judging from Kuzy's interactions with many players that Im aware of, he is not behind the wall too.

Sammy and Orly could gravitate to them naturally but its fully ok. Like if they all were from the same university or smth.

Without seeing them behind closed doors Id not make any conclusions on that matter.

Interesting. I have a different theory for why some players who clearly have immense talent are now struggling to show it consistently. Children! Most of the Caps top players all have very young kids right now. Ovi, Kuz, Oshie, Carlson, I'm sure many others too. Not single young studs like Vrana and Wilson, but lots of the vets do and this is a mostly vet team. And if they are anything like me at all (which we should concede they probably aren't like me at all, but hear me out), then when they have small children, it changes priorities. It changes focus. Hell for me, my 5 year old who sleeps great now, was a dreadful sleeper for his first 2.5 years, woke up 2-3 times per night every night until he hit a magic wall around age 2.5 then started sleeping perfectly. I had insomnia and was tired and cranky all the time for those 2.5 years. It effected my work, my relationship with my wife, my own happiness somewhat. I suspect that, maybe not as drastic as my case, but these new fathers are just experiencing different situations and priorities than they had when they were childless and care free, and could focus on hockey more. One small example just might be, watching film at night, watching other NHL games... its easy when you're single or kidless, but when your toddlers want to play in the evening, you play. Other things you used to do all the time, you do much less of now. I think a lot of folks on this board are going through similar phases right now.

I think all these issues have less to do with which country these guys are from, and more to do with where they are in their lives right now. Of course, I could be completely wrong too, and it is also entirely possible that this effects one or two players differently than other players, so who knows?

Reactions: HecticGlow

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Think I’m done making GDTs for a while. I’m the anti-Midas at this point. Must have used up all my mojo during the Cup run, right @Ridley Simon?

giphy.gif

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
We should trade Wilson. Hes forever on down swing, and nobody knows yet besides our board. The best opportunity that will ever occur. At least we will have space for Kempny.

Trade Wilson .. expose Oshie to the expansion draft.

Unless Connor McMichael can clone himself ... we dont have any roster-build-around-talent coming up the ranks.

Im clinging to the past boys. White knuckle death grip.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I have a different theory for why some players who clearly have immense talent are now struggling to show it consistently. Children!
I've wondered about this too – and this year in particular, with everyone spending more time in their homes, having kids dramatically changes the dynamics. If you're an Oshie or a Carlson, you're potentially leaving your OH to look after the kids 24/7 for up to several days at a time while you're on the road. There's no way you're not more family-minded when you return – especially when there's homeschooling or something to be done. If you prioritised hockey like before, you can imagine it straining your relationship, too. It changes things significantly.

I think there's also a risk this year that playing the same teams night in, night out, often every other night and always without fans in attendance, makes it hard for players to 'buy in'. Maybe that's one of the reasons we've seen some of the newer additions – Schultz, Vanecek, Sheary, Chara, Dillon etc. – working harder in-game than the returning players: for them, every game matters because they need to prove they belong on the team, can adapt, and deserve their ice time. I'd also be interested to know how many of them brought their families to Washington already, given the pandemic? I seem to remember Chara's family stayed put?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lavi seems to like to play the 4th line in shut down roles and they have been getting eat up by top lines the last 6 games or so.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Pittsburgh is the far superior team. We look like the grit Caps of the 90s versus the skilled Lemieux teams.

That’s such an overreaction. Look at the two teams. Almost every game decided by one goal or shootouts.

Crap defense and suspect goaltending on both sides, some firepower up front when the teams are clicking with their passes.

Both teams almost even in the standings, almost the same goal differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad