Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I dont have a problem with Epic as such, if they wanna put out a ****ty launcher with decent game prices and give consumers a choice, be my guest, but dont remove the choice and force customers to use your platform

its like PS4 v Xbox exclusives except if one of those consoles was barely functional

Oh I fully understand and agree.

Epic has done a lot of good for developers, and (despite Sweeney's god complex) a lot of bad for consumers. This is the first move that benefits both (well, not counting the free games every few weeks. That's a nice benefit).

Yes, the store is absolute garbage. I'm not expecting them to have all of Steam's features so soon after launch of the platform, but if you're going to make anti-competitive moves by snatching up exclusives for money, you should probably gave basic platform features. Or even basic web store features...maybe they should throw some cash into making the store better.

If they had lead with sales/monetary benefits like this rather than exclusives, this would've made people a lot happier....because it's, you know, ACTUAL competition that benefits consumers.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What amazing sale? Without typing in individual games with the search I can only see what's displayed on the storefront and there isn't a whole lot there.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
What amazing sale? Without typing in individual games with the search I can only see what's displayed on the storefront and there isn't a whole lot there.

A downside to Epic's terrible store front.

Essentially, all games are discounted by $10 (or regional equivalent), and Epic is eating the cost (developers still get full price paid).

A rare move by Epic that actually benefits both sides, and not just developers.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
For the next 48ish hours on GMG, you can get Batman: Arkham City GotY edition for ~$5 and it comes with Batman: Arkham Asylum GotY edition for free. Definitely the two best Batman games, one hell of a deal for anyone who still doesn't have them.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Hitman 2 includes all the missions from the first game, correct?

Also, while I played the first two newer Tomb Raider games, is the third one even worth it? I heard the writing is complete garbage.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm not sure if Hitman 2 comes with the missions from 1 or if you need both in your account and it'll just all launch from the same game.

I seem to hear mixed things about the third Tomb Raider game. I think the first of the reboot series was definitely the best. I liked the 3rd more than the 2nd. There's less combat, which was what I didn't really like about 2 since it felt so repetitive. I feel like the story between 2 and 3 were pretty similar, both kind of wacky in ways.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Grid 2 is free on Steam for the next few hours:

edit - It doesn't seem to load properly, just search Grid 2 on the Steam store and you can just add it to your account. Solid racing game.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I got into the Rocket Arena beta, but I haven't played it yet. Has anyone else played it? If so, what's the learning curve like if you haven't played a shooter in awhile?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
XBox is going to be release a lot of XBox exclusives on Steam soon. Is there anything really worth looking at? I'm not a fan of Halo although I already knew that was coming to Steam for a while now. I'm kind of tempted to give Forza a go but I feel like my racing game days are behind me unless it's something really arcade-y like a kart racer.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
To me, the must-own Xbox games are Cuphead and Ori, but they were both already on Steam...:laugh:

Speaking of Xbox games, looks like Game Pass will be coming to PC. It already was for a few cross-compatible games like Gears 4, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars etc., but it looks like that library will soon expand significantly.

There's an article on PC Gamer. I'd link it but gaming sites are frowned upon at my work.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so much for Phoenix Point and its Epic exclusivity, its just announced to be releasing in September and available on Xbox Game Pass for PC

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
so much for Phoenix Point and its Epic exclusivity, its just announced to be releasing in September and available on Xbox Game Pass for PC

In other news I will finally play an XBox game on my PC when Phoenix Point releases.

I find a lot of the Steam/Epic spat to be stupid as I don't get the loyalty to Steam at all...but at the same time f*** Epic, so...third option ftw.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In other news I will finally play an XBox game on my PC when Phoenix Point releases.

I find a lot of the Steam/Epic spat to be stupid as I don't get the loyalty to Steam at all...but at the same time **** Epic, so...third option ftw.

I don't think anyone's looking at this as a "Steam/Epic spat", or even as Steam vs Epic, really it's just an Epic thing. I mean, Steam isn't even giving the challenge a response - which they shouldn't. This is all about Epic and their parent company having lots and lots of money and using that to try and force their way into the market by essentially taking games hostage so we use their as of now and for the immediate future shitty service... though I really don't mind them doing that for the indy games.

But yeah I'd never put any thought into what this Xbox PC thing was but I'll probably be looking at it to now with Phoenix Point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad