Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Outer Worlds going Epic exclusive now too.

It's kind of nice having an automatic filter that puts certain games on my "Don't buy until $10" list.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
For crying out loud.

They finally did it to one I really wanted to play.

EDIT: Apparently it's on the Windows 10 Store as well....if that's any consolation. :laugh:

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yea I'll probably get The Outer Worlds on EPS, it sucks but was bound to happen to a game that I can't pass up. Windows store is awful so..

In fact I fully expect Borderlands 3 when it's revealed next week to also be EGS exclusive for a set time, so that'll be 2 games..

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
whenever I hear about another Epic exclusive game

FpSVCtH.png

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Literally no game is a must play for me anymore. My backlog is so damn big and so many good games come out that if a game goes exclusive to the Epic Store, I'll just ignore it and never play it. It'll be pretty damn easy to do too since I'll never see it elsewhere.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Literally no game is a must play for me anymore. My backlog is so damn big and so many good games come out that if a game goes exclusive to the Epic Store, I'll just ignore it and never play it. It'll be pretty damn easy to do too since I'll never see it elsewhere.

I can think of a couple myself. Cyberpunk and Halo: Infinite if they can recapture what made the old games great. Thankfully neither of those games have any chance of being Epic Exclusives.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Yea I'll probably get The Outer Worlds on EPS, it sucks but was bound to happen to a game that I can't pass up. Windows store is awful so..

In fact I fully expect Borderlands 3 when it's revealed next week to also be EGS exclusive for a set time, so that'll be 2 games..

Windows Store is pretty awful, yeah, but the Xbox app itself....okay...ish...and I just really find what Epic is doing to be so scummy.

I might get it from MS, if at all (otherwise I'll wait for the exclusivity to drop and a sale).

This is almost my attitude as well, but there are a couple games set to release this year that I really want. The Outer Worlds is (was?) one of them.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I understand that it's a good time for something like EGS to pick up games, especially to help solidify them in the PC market, but I think the fact that they are basically bringing console bullshit tactics into this by money hatting everything is becoming extremely tiresome and Epic can f*** off for that.

LOL this won't end well for Sweeney: The Epic Store won't accept 'crappy games,' says Tim Sweeney

Someone already pointed out this terrible game: RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures - Family Friendly Tycoon Fun!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You all can laugh at me but I like the Windows 10 store. *runs*

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Okay but, like, why? :laugh:
Mostly because of Xbox Play Anywhere (I REALLY wanted that to take off.) being able to play games on PC or Xbox and only having to pay for them once is great for me! So that goes along with Gamepass too and having "free" games on PC with Gamepass.

Also, just easy. The store is built in to the OS so its already set up and ready when I log in.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Mostly because of Xbox Play Anywhere (I REALLY wanted that to take off.) being able to play games on PC or Xbox and only having to pay for them once is great for me! So that goes along with Gamepass too and having "free" games on PC with Gamepass.

Also, just easy. The store is built in to the OS so its already set up and ready when I log in.

I agree on all points and actually think the Xbox app itself is good, but I think the store interface needs work.

I hope Game Pass takes off too. It seems like a nice way to get cheap games.

Now if only MS would make some great exclusives and we'd be talkin'!

Reactions: HerpaDerp

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I agree on all points and actually think the Xbox app itself is good, but I think the store interface needs work.

I hope Game Pass takes off too. It seems like a nice way to get cheap games.

Now if only MS would make some great exclusives and we'd be talkin'!
Absolutely agree the inteface / fluidity of the Win 10 store needs some work. Agreed on the Xbox app too. I play Sea of Thieves on PC with my friends who are on Xbox and the Xbox app is so good for party managment, looking for groups, messages, managing captures... etc. love it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ya know the odd thing about this whole Epic Store situation is what happened with UT4.
They are throwing millions of dollars at mid tier indie games to get them exclusive on their platform.

But they have a whole half developed game they cancelled right there. Take a million or two million bucks you were going to throw at some random indie dev and instead put some people on finishing UT4. They've got plenty of Fortnite bux for it, the new UT was never going to be AAA level anyway so it wouldn't take much.
Then they'd have a new exclusive, one they'd get all the money for on the back end not just a sales cut, and it would build positive feedback.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'm really upset that they completely f***ed UT2019 due to them taking all the people to do Fortnite. They really should actually give a shit about their own IPs. They killed Paladins for Fortnite but now they're money hatting the shit out of other things? f*** off now. Give me more UT2019.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Who here has played Baldur's Gate? I know it's been regarded as a classic and lately I've had a real craving to play a game similar to Divinity, and I thought Baldur's Gate would be right up my alley.
For those of you who have played, what are your thoughts on the game?

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Who here has played Baldur's Gate? I know it's been regarded as a classic and lately I've had a real craving to play a game similar to Divinity, and I thought Baldur's Gate would be right up my alley.

It's an amazing game, but with all games of that time period it does not hold your hand. Both in your character builds and the actual quest lines. I actually gave up on it a few times until I read a guide on how to build a good party and whenever I got stuck on a quest I just looked it up. I should also mention the first time I played it back in the 90's I did not know you were supposed to use the pause feature during battles. That made the 1st boss fight just about impossible. :laugh:

Reactions: JBeast

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

You talking Divinity Original sin 1/2?
It has *some* similarities but a lot of differences too.

BG is obviously not 3d, it's far less interactive as well in terms of the game world. But Divinity is nearly unrivaled in that for RPGs unless you go back to Ultima VII.
Combat is obviously important in Divinity, but I'd say in BG it's even more so. For one BG is not turn based so the combat is much more hectic. D:OS has a lot more puzzles and dialog tree solutions than does BG.

Baldur's gate has a much larger emphasis on systems and character building. AD&D defines basically everything.

Baldur's Gate II in particular has similar companion dialog to Divinity OS 2, which is why I think the comparison is made often. I'd also say BGII is more well written than Divinity (though not universally, there's some cringe).

Also Baldur's gate II is superior to BGI though there are some who dispute this :P. BGI is kind of a low-level D&D romp with a story that unfolds slowly. BGII is an epic tale and one of the most well thought of in all RPGs.

In generally I think the real-time with pause combat is such a big difference between the two games that I don't find them nearly as comparable as others do who focus more on the softer stuff.

Both are excellent games though everyone should at least give a shot.

IMO if you want some more modern party based RPG flavor I'd check out: Expeditions Viking (Conquistador too but it's a bit more heavy on the strategy side)

And

Wasteland 2.

I think those two games are the most similar to D:OS 2 in terms of modern games. Expeditions Viking in particular is a little known gem. Historical setting, pretty good turn based combat, solid story.

BTW for a shameless plug, if you want some Divinity Original Sin 1 content you could check out my two mods:
A Necromancer's Crusade
Dunamis - Enhanced Edition

I'm certainly not a game developer but I think my mods are the best story mods D:OS 1 has to offer. They have quests with multiple resolutions, branching stories, puzzles, dual dialog like the main game, and hand crafted combat + unique items.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad