Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
In other news I will finally play an XBox game on my PC when Phoenix Point releases.

I find a lot of the Steam/Epic spat to be stupid as I don't get the loyalty to Steam at all...but at the same time **** Epic, so...third option ftw.

I don't know if it is Steam loyalty so much as appreciating that Steam actually has a decent platform....at least that's where I'm coming from.

Steam has its flaws no doubt, and I've actually starting mostly buying on GOG where available personally.

I think a lot of people wanted competition for Steam, but Epic is sort of doing the opposite - at least for consumers.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm all far more competition but the way Epic has gone about it is and continues to be ghastly.

There is something to be said about going up against Valve/Steam, it is a a very uneven playing field, but Epic is in a rush and that pissed off a lot of people. The video game industry is not the finance industry: generally speaking, people are not fond of bullies. Bullies make lots of money in finance but that is a bubble, far removed from the real world.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't know if it is Steam loyalty so much as appreciating that Steam actually has a decent platform....at least that's where I'm coming from.

I'm mostly in it for the :popcorn:

IDGAF if Epic makes headway in the market or whatever, I'd prefer they not do it via buying exclusives. I blame the developers and or publishers just as much for taking the money, particularly in instances where the games were already slated for launch everywhere or were promised so like the Shenmue case. If you promise something and then go back on it that's just low. I don't blame them on a let's recoup our investment level, but I don't care about that as the guy buying the game.

<incoming rant on another related thing>

Speaking of not caring about that, there's this sort of weird culture going around now of developer boostering and it kind of annoys me. As sort of an example in another thread here about respected developers which is fine. But some of the things people were bringing up like crunch time for workers or whatever, as if that's some sort of unique thing game developers have to deal with. Anyone who works on any project with a drop dead date will crunch at some point. But the sort of games journalism industry and some groups of gamers think this is some sort of massive problem. On the contrary some of the greatest games in history were created in less than ideal circumstances with creeping deadlines and development houses that nearly collapsed in the process. Do we get some of those games without the crunch? probably but not nearly as many I'd suspect. Fallout's SPECIAL system was literally written out on a napkin at dinner and implemented in a couple weeks when they had to scramble to replace GURPS at the last minute. Necessity is the mother of invention is a cliche for a reason. Would it be better if game developers weren't putting in 70 hour weeks at the end of their projects? Yeah. Am I all that broken up about it? No.

And frankly what we've seen often times is if you give these past developers who generated hits in the crunch system more money and more time it often has resulted in either aimless projects or feature creep out the ass with no guiding hand to slap all that stuff down. Look at Star Citizen in comparison to say something like Kingdom Come. Both games had feature creep and pretty big plans but one had unlimited money and the other didn't. Which one have I gotten to play an enjoy already? One of them ended up with some plans cut and altered turned into a pretty cool take on the open world sword play formula. The other could be confused with a scam. Another good example is Ken Levine and Bioshock Infinite. He puts out a hit game reusing parts of the System Shock formulae with some conventional gameplay and good production values. Then he's given a buttload of time and and money to develop a follow up and the development is a cluster f*** that results in getting basically the same game as BS1 instead of the more ambitious vision originally intended because they squandered a bunch of development time on nonsense. You give game developers tons of time, more freedom, and gobs of money and it usually ends up a between mediocre and a disaster unless it's a Nintendo product. The publishers get a lot of deserved crap but in some cases their guiding hand to actually getting releasable games is invaluable to us gamers. Or in the case of indies, limited budgets and making games for the sake of it not looking for a quick Epic Games exclusive payday.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
But some of the things people were bringing up like crunch time for workers or whatever, as if that's some sort of unique thing game developers have to deal with. Anyone who works on any project with a drop dead date will crunch at some point.

I feel like it's just been a marketing ploy and gamers are all over it. So many jobs have projects with deadlines and will require crunch time. I've done it plenty of times at my current job. I'm not complaining about it in the slightest, I get it's part of the position, and I'm happy with where at my with the company I work for, even with the crunch time...

The other thing that I find silly is the whole "oh, but the developers get more money in the better split so they can make better games!!" How many times have we seen big companies beg for tax payer money because they need to improve something *cough* telecomm companies *cough* and they literally just take the money and do nothing with it? Maybe this helps some small indie devs (if they can even make up for loss sales by going to an exclusive store) but big AAA publishers? All that we're going to see is the potential of CEOs smoking fatter cigars on bigger yachts. Not to mention people say Steam takes 30% vs Epic's 12% which isn't even fair since Steam gives away steam keys to resell elsewhere and offer more services. Steam probably ends up only getting an average of 20% cut when you consider the fact that you can buy the game on Humble Store for example and Steam gets $0 from that sale.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I believe the summer sale starts on the 25th. What are you looking forward to going on sale? For me:

Resident Evil 7
FF 7 (want to play the original before the remake)
Call of Cthulhu (been wanting to play this for a while, but will only get it if it's on a deep sale)
Nier Automata
Far Cry 5 (been wanting to play this one for a while as well. If it's 10 bucks I'll get it)

edit: Also if Stardock's Fences is like 5 bucks, I'll get that too.

Last edited:

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I believe the summer sale starts on the 25th. What are you looking forward to going on sale? For me:

Resident Evil 7
FF 7 (want to play the original before the remake)
Call of Cthulhu (been wanting to play this for a while, but will only get it if it's on a deep sale)
Nier Automata
Far Cry 5 (been wanting to play this one for a while as well. If it's 10 bucks I'll get it)

edit: Also if Stardock's Fences is like 5 bucks, I'll get that too.

I will keep an eye out how much the Yakuza Games will cost, from what I heard they offer great bang for your buck, especially on sale

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
ATOM is pretty good, didn't realize this type of game was your speed :P

It's the most Fallout like rpg ever made basically.

It does have some problems but for $15 it's quite enjoyable.

Honestly, I love turn based stuff. I wish there was a modern remake of Silent Storm. While not the same kind of RPG, but still.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I might pick up Trover Saves the Universe for VR if they discount it. I'm not expecting much of a discount, will just see how it goes. I will probably pick up Hypercharge Unboxed just to have a co-op game to play with a friend of mine.

There are also some indie games I'll probably pick up depending on the sale. Most likely will grab Katana Zero.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sort of, I think Underrail has a more interesting visual set in terms of style. It's intentionally trying to be a 2d throwback. ATOM is just a modern Unity engine 3rd person game. Some stuff like textures and effects and such are subpar. Portraits and buildings are okay. The interface on ATOM is mostly better.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Feel like it's usually just ~15 minutes, is it not? I feel like the sales get less and less hyped as the years have gone by so I bet it won't be down for too long.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
how do you view how many ppl play online for a certain game on steam?

I think the developer needs to make that visible because I don't think all games show it, but if you go to the store page and click on the community hub button it'll show you how many people are currently playing in the top right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad